1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen darkens in the corners on Viera 37"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GalacticaActual, Dec 29, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Hi all.
    I have noticed a problem on my screen, In all the corners, No matter what aspect ration you have it on :confused: The screen seems to be darker in the corners of the picture, almost as if all the light is concentrated in the middel of the screen and then it fades out towards the edge. This is for all in puts and screen sizes. Now it is not a major problem, and to be honest you cant really notice it unless you have alreaday noticed it, if you see what I mean :D
    I was woundering if anyone else had had this problem.

2. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had mine up and running for five days with no such problem, could it be anything to do with adjusting the oversan, which I have yet to do. The only problem I have is if I switch of the Sky digibox whilst the screen is still on and using it the screen gives of a very high pitched noise. Any one come across this one?

3. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had mine a couple of weeks now and no such issues, works perfectly although need to adjust the overscan as on DVE it's almost at the 10% cut-off

4. dunbad

dunbad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Had my 37" Viera for two weeks with no problems.

What a superb screen they are both Picture and never heard a Tv sound as good.

Hope you get your dark bits sorted.

Also could anyone tell me how to access the overscan and what is it?

I am running Sky + via RGB SCart and DVD player via Component.

Many Thanks

:smashin:

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Its quite possible that the overscan has something to do with it. I had the Viera a while before I adjusted the overscan and nevr noticed the problem then. Perhaps the overscan on the Vieras is purposly adjusted to be a fair bit over to hide this type of problem?

6. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be Gordon would know

7. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watching Viera 42 as I type and don't see this problem.

8. THE BOARS

THE BOARS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    i agree what is overscan please

9. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be when the picture is to big for the screen. It can be adjsted in the service menu (at your peril). If you search the forum for "overscan". there is information.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Don't have a problem on mine either...

11. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you getting on with the dark corners on your screen David ? I was thinking of having a go at the oversan on mine but do not have the confidence to mess around with the service menu since the PQ is otherwise pretty good. I am quite happy with a computer BIOS as I know what not to touch, is it anything like that, or is it best left to those who know what they aer doing?

12. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42" Viera with overscan adjusted to a minimum and I don't see this at all.

In fact, compared to my previous CRT (36" PD30) the corners always seem very pleasantly bright :)

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I am gonna put up with it for now. It is hardley noticable, but because I have seen it I now whatch for it. The best way I can explain it is on the program top gear when ever thay have shots of cars out side , the picture seems to be framed in an oval shadow type effect. This is what I am getting a fair bit on dvds and other programs :confused:
    Now of course every one is gonna say they have not noticed this on top gear, and it must be my plasma :laugh:

14. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered that it might be actually on the programme source?

Some outdoor shots, when taken with a wide angle lens, exhibit significant vignetting, and I have noticed it on a number of occasions. I know it's nothing to do with my plasma though - just a result of the camera lens being too wide for the prevailing light conditions.

Also, some directors and photographers deliberately introduce vignetting to make their shots look more "arty". Have a look at a few photographers websites, at B&W prints in particular, to see this.

15. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    so , do you thiink that because I have adjusted the overscan so it is almost perfect, that I am seeing the darkness that you would not normaly see on a display that has not been adjusted :D

16. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have noticed exactly this effect but strangely enough only on Top Gear and I've also noticed this dark corner effect on my parents 36" CRT set, again Top Gear's outside broadcasts only. I haven't seen this phenomenon at any other time. In fact sometimes when playing GTA: San Andreas I think that the centre is dark whereas the corners have a really bright image. Are you sure it's your plasma and not the source signals? Do you get the same dark corner effect when playing DVE?

S.