Screen Corruption, New 5m DVI cable?

dreamsofubuntu

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a 5m long DVI cable so that I could link up a second monitor at the foot of my bed too watch TV-Shows etc. but I'm getting a few seemingly random pink lines and other artefacts appearing on the monitor which at first I thought was interference but is it maybe the length of the cable? both the monitor and the pc work fine with a different (shorter) cable.

it's a pretty basic PC with a standard built in ATI graphics

many thanks in advance for any ideas :confused:

What resolution are you running at - if it is 1080p then you may need a higher quality cable (which loses less signal over the run) - if you drop the resolution do the artefacts disappear?

What resolution are you running at - if it is 1080p then you may need a higher quality cable (which loses less signal over the run) - if you drop the resolution do the artefacts disappear?

Hi, I dropped the resolution down to 1152x864 and the artefacts completely disappeared, but any higher and then there back... could it be that my graphics card is just underpowered?

No it just means your cable is losing too much of the signal over the 5m length so you need a higher quality one - I would order from Amazon and if it doesn't work return it and try a different one.

No it just means your cable is losing too much of the signal over the 5m length so you need a higher quality one - I would order from Amazon and if it doesn't work return it and try a different one.

It was a cheap cable which I bought from eBay but the seller was highly recommended and they didn't appear to have any negative feedback regarding there 5m DVI cables. :confused:

why would a low quality cable be a problem for me but not others? it's quoted as working with resolutions of up too 1920x1200 :(

not that I'm arguing with you I just don't understand...

I found that HDMI cables support much higher resolutions so a 5m HDMI cable with cheap DVI adapters at each end would sort it.
You may even have one with the graphics card.

I found that HDMI cables support much higher resolutions so a 5m HDMI cable with cheap DVI adapters at each end would sort it.
You may even have one with the graphics card.

that might be an idea as I already have one of those ;)

I doubt it matters whether you use an HDMI or DVI cable - they are both transferring the same signal. The cheapest option is to try some different cables - you may also benefit from a separate graphics card if your current output is slightly below spec on the voltage but this would cost more.

Swapped in a an Nvidia Geforce 6800GT I got on eBay for £12 problem solved :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom