1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen confusion

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Maki, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    With the go ahead from my wife to choose a screen, I am no as confused as ever.

I thought I wanted Plasma, however, on viewing off air digital broadcasts via freeview, my wife and myself were very dissapointed. DVD sources look great. They were viewed at specalist outlets with the best connections I hasten to add.

I then saw the Sony KV36FS76 and this was great across the board. My room can take the bulk of this set with ease but am I about to make a mistake ordering this, can Plasma give better pictures than I have seen?

I know Plasma/LCD could be the future but I can't help but think people are being seduced by looks rather than performance and CRT does look much better -- to me anyway. What are your thoughts... Anybody?

2. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My own personal opinion (so dont all flame me) is that plasmas are still an immature (read imperfect) technology which I for one will steer clear of for a few more years at least. And yes, they do give a very good picture, but only with the best possible source signal.

Ive heard good things about the Sony set you mention, so I would play it safe and buy that.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Before you go ahead, on the strength of having seen a TV at a good dealer - you should be aware that all CRTs - large ones to a greater extent than small ones - are somewhat prone to the following artefacts (which you may not have seen or, indeed may not have been present on the display sample you saw):

1: Geometry errors. Straight things may be curved. The picture may be tilted.

2: Convergence errors. Coloured fringing around the edges of objects - most often at the extremes of the screen.

3: Voltage regulation 'bounce': The size of the picture changes with brightness. Causes varying geometry errors.

4: 'Dirty screen' effects: patches of the picture are darker than others. Or, the same symptom, made worse, can cause colour impurity. This can be made to happen, or made worse, by external magnetism effects (nearby speakers or radiators, or simply the orientation of the set.

Factory production tolerances often allow sets with some or all of these artefacts to escape. Getting these flaws fixed can be problematic as they are often considered to be within tolerance. Offset these potential 'flaws' against the artefacts you have seen on Plasma, as you make your decision.

4. Maki

Maki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for your views, informed and thoughtful. I have ordered the Sony after much readings of reviews, specs and of course demos.

I got it at what I think to be a good price £1267 delivered at Sound and Vision. Good guys and great to deal with.

I just could not see where the extra cost of a Plasma is. As stated it is a immature technology and by the time my new set as had it's day, things will, I hope be sorted.

So thanks again for your input, greatly appreciated.