Screen Compatibility- 1.1 Gain for Epson TW5210

iybyisyl

Hi, I have been using the Epson TW5210 for about 5 years on a painted surface (Dulux colour Egyptian cotton- Beige/Grey). The projector is probably one of the best £500 I've ever spent. I sit about 10ft away, central and benefit from a large image. About 1000 hrs on lamp.
The Projector isn't perfect and does have very minor issues with motion handling, typically when watching football/sport- as camera pans there are some image issues , but nothing to really complain about.
Last week to facilitate TV wall mount such that Projector screen could drop down and cover TV I purchased this item from Amazon

PHC 120" 16:9 Matte Grey motorised remote control electric projector projection HD screen Amazon productMatt grey, 1.1 gain
I mounted it this weekend in my living room

Matt grey, 1.1 gain

The image blacks have been boosted as I might have expected/hoped for, but the motion handing is now quite bad (Source Sky HD and Netflix HD), so much so that I cant watch football/sport.
Movies are better, but even then I can detect picture disturbances that I have not been able to see before. Its hard to accurately describe but its almost like watching the picture through a fine net curtain when there is motion.

Is this a function of poor screen choice by me?
Should I seek another screen?
Would zero gain be more beneficial and more akin to the previous painted wall image?
Would an upgrade to a new LCD Projector help?

Ideally I'd still like to achieve my aspiration to wall mount TV.

Projector Spec

Thanks for any thoughts.
J

Last edited:

3rdignis

From your link describes 3 different screen choices.
Matt white 1.1 gain.
Glass bead white 2.5 gain.
Matt grey high contrast 0.8 gain.

If you have the grey screen you have made a good choice.

3rdignis

Your picture will be better the darker you can get the room.
Pond lining and electrical tape makes 0 damage blackout conditions.

If your picture is bright enough your good to go.
Or a high gain may be better but factors can combine to introduce hotspotting.
Or keep low gain screen and get a new bulb? Or brighter projector.

I can't find repeatable measured results for your projector, but combining these two webpages says your ok.

Your recommended thx viewing distance is 12.3feet.

iybyisyl

Your picture will be better the darker you can get the room.
Pond lining and electrical tape makes 0 damage blackout conditions.

If your picture is bright enough your good to go.
Or a high gain may be better but factors can combine to introduce hotspotting.
Or keep low gain screen and get a new bulb? Or brighter projector.

I can't find repeatable measured results for your projector, but combining these two webpages says your ok.

Your recommended thx viewing distance is 12.3feet.
Hi, thanks for your responses. I think my education has commenced after my purchase!!
I think this might be a question of poor compatability to room/sitting position/ambient light/Projector rather than one single element. Perhaps as per my original post the motion capability of my lower end projector has been exposed by the glass beaded nature of the screen, which might suit some projectors more than mine?
I spent some time last night adjusting a few inputs, with mixed results. A more dynamic picture renders a nicer picture(marginally) for football, but the "net curtain" issue I see is still there such that I prefer the wall projected images, not really what I was hoping for. That said non "panning" images are really quite nice - increased black levels from the grey screen I think?
If I can get my chromecast to ever pair again :( I'm planning on using THX "tune-up" to see if that improves the situation.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom