1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen choice help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by baldybonce, May 16, 2005.

1. baldybonce

baldybonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    :lease:
    My brother in law is looking for a screen which is HD ready (1280x720), which is capable of 720p.

He watches most of his movies etc through his pc not a dvd player like most of us. His viewing distance is about 11ft so screen size 36-42 maybe 50 at a push, but this may show up problems in quality.

Also not sure whether to go plasma or LCD.

Can anyone recommend which models to look out for and give a test viewing?

All help is greatly appreciated

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    HD ready plasmas have copy protection built in to the HDMI input. For some strange reason, manufacturers who put this interface on a screen KNOBBLE the PC input so badly they need shooting. 1 screen is truly HD ready and PC friendly, it's the Fujitsu P50XHA40US. It's also amongst the priciest 50". If he can handle no copy protection, therefore not carrying the 'HD ready' logo, the the Pioneer 43MXE1 might suit, it's the most PC friendly screen out there. Some of the LCD's are OK, but remeber what you need for PC friendly is native res at a multiple of 25Hz to avoid frame rate conversion judder, what you need for HD ready is 720P@50Hz, and if you are wise, you will check for 1080i and P at 60Hz.

3. DJWoohoo

DJWoohoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm the brother in law baldybonce is referring too :hiya:, thought I'd sign up and post as I think this would be the easiest way. :smashin:
    Right I have a screen budget of between £2,000 - £3,000, will be looking at a preferred plasma size of around 42".
    Will mostly be watching movies via my HTPC and I will also be running alot of games consoles on it too, especially my US Xbox which some of the games I have support for 720p & 1080i.
    Would also want to know if there are any true HDTV output resolution plasmas in this price range or there abouts, ie (1280x720) (720p)

Thanks for the reply MAW most infomative & please people feel free to correct me if anything I'm saying is wrong as I'm a total noobie when it comes to Hi-Def screens. :)

p.s What a smashin' forum. :thumbsup:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are no 1280x720 plasmas, or any other flat panel in the kind of size you are looking for. The 50" plasmas are at least (some anyway) a widescreen resolution. For IT industry historical reasons, plasmas and LCD monitors/tv's are all 480 or 768 dots high. Pioneer's 50" is 1280x768, making it a PC favourite, you can usually get 1:1 pixel mapping with minimum fuss. This is not quite 16/9, so involves a small amount of distortion, but in normal use you wouldn't notice, only if you display a lot of circles! All the screens you should be looking at will support hi def on component with your X-box, and both Pioneer and Panasonic support picture setups by input and by signal, for position/size as well as picture settings, very necessary for multiple signals from 1 device. If you can run to a 50MXE1, it would be ideal, though the 42/43" ones are only a problem for windows apps with photos really, aspect distortion makes everyone fat. Other software can compensate for the aspect ratio of the monitor.

5. DJWoohoo

DJWoohoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again, I could possibly stretch to a 50MXE1 but screen size could be a problem or not I don't know, fine in installation as there's plenty of room but the viewing distance to screen will be no more than about 12ft.
    Obviously being my first screen I want to make the right choice and get the best possible one I can.

As I said before I will be using my HTPC for viewing HDTV material, playing games, web browsing, viewing/recording freeview tv, video editing, music making, etc... also would using a DVI-HDMI lead be the best option to connect my PC via my gfx card (NVIDIA GeForce 660GT Dual DVI Out) or not?
    Will also think about hooking up an LCD elsewhere in the room as some of the stuff may be best suited doing at a desk and not from a seated position on sofa.
    But main use will be video gaming so a screen that will be good for the current & next generation video consoles ie XBOX, PS2, XBOX360 & PS3.

Thanks again MAW for your advice. :smashin:

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There are quite a few posts on the subject of viewing distance. I watch my HD42 from about 9ft, I have loads of customers who have 50" at 12 ft or less. A matter of taste. Go and see some and stand close! HTPC picture is likely to be better than 99% of demo screens, you need a grands worth of scaler to approach it, bear that in mind, or take your laptop.