Screen Burn

W

willp[aice

PMA400E + BBCi (fame ac.) = burn in...

OK so I've had the screen less than a month, and was watchin a DVD last night, and top left hand corner has "BBCI" stuck in it !!!!

OK so the Hitachi is 'sposed to be good at protecting this... have now switched on all possible options... and I think I'ts clearing...

Is this a record ?

screen wipe option clears up residual images v quickly on mine

Punishment for watching Fame Academy..!

Watched Fame Academy tonight... Not bad..! I had assumed it was another Pop Idol spin-off... Hope your screen is back to full health....

My PMA has burned twice, one with ps2 once with PC.

It cleared itself overnight - underwear only cleared after washing machine tho :D

Personally, I don't consider images like this to be true screen burn; more a case of image lag.

I have the Hitachi (and prreviously an LG) and both suffered from displaying feint ghost images of things like timer menus from my DVD recorder - so as long as it took to promgram a recording, say less than 2 or 3 minutes, the image of the menu would be displayed on screen for a few minutes after.

I think it's to do with the image being so intense when displayed that it lags for a while when actually cleared from the screen.

Nothing (touch wood) has lasted more than a few minutes on my Hitachi, except maybe movie bars - but as manc says mine also clears overnight.

happy to say that it does seem to fade overnight - but i did start looking for the heavy guage underwear !

Chaps, don't mean to hijack this thread but it is another question about screen burn.

Do you guys with plasma's think it's not a problem, seeing as you've mentioned that there are things you can do to overcome this?
I've been toying with a plasma for ages now and it's only the screen burn thing which is putting me off as we watch a lot of satellite and seemingly other programmes with static logo's in the corners.

Had a look at the Sony LCD rear projection last weekend but there's not so much of a viewing angle as with plasma's, naturally, and it seemed like we would have to get the height just right in order to get a decent picture as well. So now I'm back thinking about a plasma screen :confused:

I have an LG plasma for 6 months running circa 6 hours per day and watch lots of satellite TV (with the logos). I have never had a problem with screen burn. I have taken all the recommended steps to avoid it (e.g. turn down contrast and brightness from factory setting) and I rarely have the worst offending channels (like BBC news 24) on for more than 30 minutes.

I've had my Panny 5 for 3 months now, and right out of the box i turned the contrast and brightness down, the side 4:3 bars up, turned the wobble on and the screensaver for a minute at 3am every day. I watch a lot of Sky and play a LOT of PS2, and i've never seen anything even resembling screen burn. I don't however watch Sky News etc, and i am very concious of backing up red dots and those silly BBCi logos.. TBH i don't think it's really a problem if you treat your £3k purchase wisely.

mine is 8 weeks old,delivered on 30th june.very impressed untill yesterday,found an image of the cbeebies logo burnt top left corner due to my 3 year olds apetite for bob the bloody builder.
tried the screenwipe for 4 hours and its still there.
phoned hitachi who advised me to try so called engineers trick.
switch everything off,disconnect monitor leads,press and hold reset button (rear of panel) at the same time press on button.
this displays red,green,blue,black and the white screen wipe in a constant pattern which i also left for 4 hours.the logo is still there
will be phoning them again wednesday to get more advice.
the cbeebies channel is now banned.

bugman

bugman

I guess the 42pd3000 doesn't have any 'easy to access' screen wipes!

Have you reduced your contrast and brightness down from the factory defaults - this may look slightly 'dull' to begin with in high ambient lighting but you should see a big improvement in skin tones and the like when in controlled lighting.

Reducing the contrast etc will help with the cbeebies logo - our Pioneer HDE gets a fair few hours some days left with either cbeebeis running or worse still the SKY+ 'end of recorded programme' message with no screen burn problems.

If you have a PC I'd suggest you put an all white screen (no borders or menus) up on your display overnight.

Best regards

Joe

Originally posted by [Luc]
TBH i don't think it's really a problem if you treat your £3k purchase wisely.

This is what gets me about plasma and is why I will never buy one. Why should I HAVE to treat my £3k purchase wtih kid gloves. If I spent £3k on a screen I would expect it to cope more than admirably with everything I threw at it. I wouldn't expect to have to make sure I pressed the back up button on the SKY remote after every adverts. Nor would I expect to have to turn brightness settings down. One of the big selling points of plasma is the bright and contrasty images it can produce, but as you can't use them because of this screen burn issue, its rather pointless. At this price screen burn is unacceptable and its about time that the manufacturers realised this.

I very much want a flat screen, but I for one will not be buying plasma.

No one is saying treat it with kid gloves, just use it sensibly. No one is saying turn down the brightness and contrast lower than you want it, just lower from the factory settings which are on the max and frankly it looks terrible like that anyway.

Plasma and RP are more likely to get screen burn then CRT but that doesn't mean they will get burn in and the decent plasmas have utilities to avoid the problem in the first place.

Originally posted by bugman
mine is 8 weeks old,delivered on 30th june.very impressed untill yesterday,found an image of the cbeebies logo burnt top left corner due to my 3 year olds apetite for bob the bloody builder.
tried the screenwipe for 4 hours and its still there.
phoned hitachi who advised me to try so called engineers trick.
switch everything off,disconnect monitor leads,press and hold reset button (rear of panel) at the same time press on button.
this displays red,green,blue,black and the white screen wipe in a constant pattern which i also left for 4 hours.the logo is still there
will be phoning them again wednesday to get more advice.
the cbeebies channel is now banned.

bugman

bugman,

Any news about your screen burn :confused:

dvd

Gregorski

Sounds like you'll be requiring one of Unicol's anti vandal front screens to protect whatever screen you purchase from flying objects!

Mine has taken the odd hit from a mini football and it takes everything SKY can 'throw at it' with no problems and no special treatment - though Power Rangers Megazords going to the defence of the Red Ranger does worry me when they get within an inch or two of the front of the screen!

Even if I still had the old 14" Telly I would still hit the SKY back button as the red dot drives me nuts - especially the non dot ones where the graphic designer has produced a 'themed' dot.

Best regards

Joe

Having read these forums there seems to be something of a paranoia about it and I've read of many of you guys suffering sleepless nights over the issue. I just don't want that kind of stress, and don't feel if I spend that kind if money that I should have ANYTHING to worry about.

I still think they look great, and I still want a flat screen. I just think that plasma is not for me. I've had LCD screens running windows for the last 5 years and am happy that this is a tried and tested technology so I'll probably be going that route.

Originally posted by CrumpetMan

the decent plasmas have utilities to avoid the problem in the first place.

I've seen this mentioned in the specs on a couple of plasma's and on the Sony one I was reading up on yesterday, does this feature actually work and if so why don't all the plasma's have it? If it does work then I'm looking at between £3-3.5k for a plasma as I've only seen it on those in that price range. :(

Originally posted by Gregorski
Having read these forums there seems to be something of a paranoia about it and I've read of many of you guys suffering sleepless nights over the issue. I just don't want that kind of stress, and don't feel if I spend that kind if money that I should have ANYTHING to worry about.

Do you think owners of ferraris and bentleys worry about leaving their car on the main road or parked outside the pub? In my opinion owning a plasma is the same sort of thing. It's a big expensense so you want to make sure you can safeguard it whilst still being able to enjoy it.

Originally posted by CrumpetMan
Do you think owners of ferraris and bentleys worry about leaving their car on the main road or parked outside the pub?

I'm sure they do. Thats something different though. What I am talking about is the suitability for the intended purpose.

I am sure that owners of these car's would be extremely annoyed if the gearbox were to fall apart if they decided to have some fun on a windy backroad. This is after all what the cars are designed for.

In the same vein, I wouldn't expect my top-of-the-range TV to burn an image into the screen if I used it for what it is designed for (i.e watching TV). If it does then in my view it is not suitable designed for the intended purpose. Personally I think that the manufacturers shouldn't be selling screens unless they are prepared to replace them when they burn. You'd be really angry if a CRT TV burned these days, so we should expect more, not less from Plasma.

Reading this post and most of the other posts in the past about Plasma screen burn, it does seem that the Pioneer & Hitachi Plasma are more prone to screen burn than the Panasonic's.
Over the 18 months I've owned a Toshiba Plasma (Panny 4 Series), it has had many hours of continuous CBeebies viewing without the mearest hint of burn-in.
I did reduce the contrast and brightness settings, but not by much.

Same here, never had any problems with my Panny. It is not something I conciously try to avoid and everything is okay with the screen.

I do hit the backup button on Sky however, but never had any problems with logos. Even the kids know to hit the backup button.

Only one problem, when I go around to other peoples houses I sometimes find myself looking for the remote to get rid of the red dot.

Norman

No problems at this end with a Pioneer Display or Pioneer TV units - I've owned about two dozen 50" Pioneer displays for AV hire and never had any long term burn in problems; and they get a hammering in exhibition land.

We had one 43" Pioneer HDE that got well abused by a static full screen graphic running daily for about three weeks and even that was sorted out after a couple of weeks of video work.

mikeq
Wait until your three your old points out that your mates got a very small telly:)

Best regards

Joe

the logo which burnt onto my screen has diminished since my last post but only marginally.
On a light screen or pastel coloured screen i can make out the logo underneath but its not as pronounced as a couple of days ago.
Engineer is coming friday,will post the result after he leaves my house.
At the moment,i am finding myself watching the screen wipe more than the tv.
I am not well chuffed at spending £3k on an ornament,hope they can sort it.

regards

bugman

How long did you leave cebeebies on for? does the screen have an orbit/wobbler "screen saver" that moves the picture slightly while your watching? I know that they are most suceptable to burn when they are new because that is when the screen is brightest. When you have the screen replaced, make sure to turn the contrast down as far as you are willing to put up with at least for a couple of months. If they dont' replace it get the BBC to buy you a new one!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom