Screen Burn

Lil' Joe

Banned
I am about to change from an LCD to a plasma. The missus watches a lot of Freeview, and channels such as Five US have their logos up all the time. Do I have to worry about screen burn? I have been told that with the latest gen of Panny's its not o problem, is this right?

P

ProjectorDreams

get an lcd miles better than plasmas any day plasmas days are number :smashin:

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
I am about to change from an LCD to a plasma. The missus watches a lot of Freeview, and channels such as Five US have their logos up all the time. Do I have to worry about screen burn? I have been told that with the latest gen of Panny's its not o problem, is this right?

I have logo's on my PX70 all day at the weekend, no problems so far.

A combination of plasma technology improving, and the logos becoming less solid, mean it is not an issue.

However, there's an option on sky to turn off the red dot / blue arrow logo that appears top right of the screen. That logo is a killer, definitely use the option!

jarr

Standard Member
I have logo's on my PX70 all day at the weekend, no problems so far.

A combination of plasma technology improving, and the logos becoming less solid, mean it is not an issue.

However, there's an option on sky to turn off the red dot / blue arrow logo that appears top right of the screen. That logo is a killer, definitely use the option!

how do you turn it off

OldSkoO1

LCD v Plasma

I'm new to this - ive just spent a week or 2 researching what to get. I demo-ed LCD and plasma.

LCD isn't very good for watching SD TV at all. Its blocky. Edge detail isn't great and it does smear on moving objects. The picture also looks clinical to me. I.E. not natural, more like it has been engineered. LCD is probably better for HD sources as i think its naturally high resolution but even the sonys look pants on SD esp above 32inch.

Plasma - i was skeptical about the screen burn and all that stuff. Well just look at everyone here. I dont think anyone has had an issue and some people have owned several plasmas.

I just got my today, a panny 42PX70CAB - What an absolutely amazing TV. I'm only watching SD at the moment and my ariel is weak and it still looks superb with 70% quality registering on my PVR from the ariel. It looks a lot more natural than any LCD i saw. DVD's look sublime and i haven't done HD yet.

I reckon LCD's are probably great for HD games like PS3 / XBOX 360 and SKy HD but i dont see why people are put off plasmas. I paid 800 quid for this 42" and its cab which is a dam bargin considering how good it is.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
LCD isn't very good for watching SD TV at all. Its blocky. Edge detail isn't great and it does smear on moving objects. The picture also looks clinical to me. I.E. not natural, more like it has been engineered. LCD is probably better for HD sources as i think its naturally high resolution but even the sonys look pants on SD esp above 32inch.

How can this be? Everyone knows that LCD is miles better than plasmas any day plasmas days are number.

Timbo69

Standard Member
How can this be? Everyone knows that LCD is miles better than plasmas any day plasmas days are number.

You're a moderator? That sentance isn't even English.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
how do you turn it off

As someone else said, simple pressing backup turns it off. But I wouldn't rely on the kids to do that every time.

Thankfully there's also a timeout option in (IIRC) Service / Video Settings.

littlebrooklyn

I was told by Panasonic that there is no problem with screen burn and image retention, however if you look in the manual it does talk about image retention and recommends you don't have a still picture on for any length of time. It also says image retention problems are not covered under the warranty!

I've got mine on Cinema Mode, I changed it as soon as the installers had left as they set it to Normal Mode :eek: I am trying to change channels regularly if there is a logo on the screen and the contrast and brightness are set to about half way. Only had the TV for a few days so it's too early to tell really. I am assuming after 200hrs it will be okay to just watch it like any other TV.

However I really think plasma are way way better than LCD anyday :)

Lyn

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
get an lcd miles better than plasmas any day plasmas days are number :smashin:

Defo m8. The guy in Curries told me dis too, while I was getting me Saturday evening Biryani. He sed plasmas were on the way owt. So LCD must be miles betta. I'm gonna sell my PX70 cus, even though it looks well top, I want to tell my m8s I gotta LCD. :smashin:

pjskel

I was told by Panasonic that there is no problem with screen burn and image retention, however if you look in the manual it does talk about image retention and recommends you don't have a still picture on for any length of time. It also says image retention problems are not covered under the warranty!

I've got mine on Cinema Mode, I changed it as soon as the installers had left as they set it to Normal Mode :eek: I am trying to change channels regularly if there is a logo on the screen and the contrast and brightness are set to about half way. Only had the TV for a few days so it's too early to tell really. I am assuming after 200hrs it will be okay to just watch it like any other TV.

Quit worrying - just enjoy it.
That bit in the manual is purely a legal disclaimer, and not worth the paper it's printed on, frankly.
Of course, a manufacturer can't legislate for how everyone will use their TV, but the vast majority will have no issue with screen burn (permanent image retention), but some may have temporary depending on the output they were watching - gaming more than anything most likely.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member

I've used mine in normal mode, with the contrast reduced to 50%, since I got it. Cinema mode is very watchable but I prefer normal mode.

Why am I taking such a massive "risk"?

My brother has had a 50" Panasonic plasma for over a year, has watched it in Normal mode from day 1, contrast 100%, and no issues with retention.

littlebrooklyn

I guess I am just being a bit paranoid then ;)

I actually find the Cinema Mode quite watchable. I won't be using the TV for playing games so I'm not fussed about using Dynamic Mode.

Lyn

Lezman

I actually get quite a bit of retention on my Sammy when I play games or I get the black bars staying when I've watched a film.

A bit of the beeb or the screen white function always clears all the retention within 5 minutes so I kinda just got used to it. Its seemingly the only minor downside for my plasma, and is outweighed by all the positive stuff:thumbsup:

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
You're a moderator? That sentance isn't even English.

:D

Sorry, I should have made it more obvious it was a quote.

I guess I am just being a bit paranoid then ;)

I actually find the Cinema Mode quite watchable. I won't be using the TV for playing games so I'm not fussed about using Dynamic Mode.

Lyn

I play games on mine in cinema mode anyway. I think it gives the nicest picture generally

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio