1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen burn

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Fry, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help - My Sony KV28LS60 has develped a nasty brown stain on the right side of the screen - it gets worse every time I switch on my DreamCast (has a white startup screen) and during the white startup screens on Halo on my Xbox...shows up a bit when watching DVD's too... is there anything I can do to get rid of it / repair it? It's not that bad at the moment, and it only really shows up if the whole screen is white, but I'm a bit concerned about it getting worse! What can I do?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Sounds like it may be a purity problem. Switch the set off at the mains (not just to standby) for an hour or two. That will make the degauss coils in the set fire when you switch it back on. If it is a purity problem, that may correct it. If not it may need manual degaussing with a degaussing coil.

3. Fry

Fry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What causes purity problems? Is the picture too bright? (though I've 'personalised' it now, I had been using the tv in "movie" picture setting) And where can one if these degaussing coils be found.....? Sorry to be a total novice :blush:

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Purity problems are normally caused by putting something magnetic, such as a speaker, too close to the set. Usually this won't cause any problems after the magnetic object is removed but in some cases, the magnetism can transfer to the shadowmask, a thin sheet of metal just behind the front face of the tube. Minor magnetism is removed by the TVs internal degaussing coils which is the loud buzz you hear when the set is switched on. Occasionally this doesn't work, and this is when a degaussing coil is required. You can also get purity problems when you move a set, due to the effect of the Earth's magnetic field. These are usually cured by the internal degaussing system.

There is a condition known as "Doming" which can give temporary purity problems on bright areas of the screen but this is caused by localised heating of the shadowmask and goes away when the picture content changes.

The degaussing coil is available from electronic suppliers such as CPC but they are expensive for one-off use.