Screen Burn?

Nawty

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly apologies for what I'm sure must be a common question (I did search but didn't get the answer I wanted).

Today I bought a Panasonic TH42PX70PED and whilst watching the footie tonight I found myself being worried that the ITV logo and score/time bar would be damaging my nice new screen.

My question is, do I really need to be that anal about these things or is 45 minutes (before it changes) fine for these sorts of things? I could do without fretting over my TV every time I watch some sport.

Please put my mind at rest :)

Are you following the recommended run-in settings?
If so, then you should be fine.
After the first 150-200 hours of usage, you can then increase the settings to the levels that look right to you.
Alternatively, get an ISF calibration done at that point or buy a calibration disc for a DIY set-up.
It'll pay for itself if you volunteer to do friends'/family's sets for beer tokens.

If you are concerned, whilst you are running-in your TV you could always use one of the Zoom aspect ratio settings which would chop-off static images situated near the edge of the screen.

tbh its a bit much in this day and age to have to coddle a tv for 6 months before you can adjust the settings so you can view it properly.. half of the 1 year warranty gone.

note: just a small complaint; everything else is good :D yay for panasonic

Thanks for the replies guys, felling better now :)

For running in I've basically turned brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness right down (probably around 40%), will this be OK? To be honest as the room is quite dark I wouldn't have them much higher than that normally.

And then after 200 hours I've got no worries? :thumbsup:

edit: oh, after speaking to the guy who recently repaired our old Philips CRT I opted to buy the 5 year warranty from Richer Sounds, all in all, with the stand it came to £1167. I had tried to get JL to price match it but they wouldn't so I went to RS and they undercut JL anyway!

Switch it out of dynamic mode too (assuming that exists on the PX70)

The new pannys are pretty much bomb proof when it comes to screen burn these days. However it is still possible for seom image retion to occur if you are not jsut a little bit care full.

Do not use dynamic mode to watch the Tv EVER! not only are the settings to high, but even turned down the dynamic mode is just set wrong rfor home viewing (its desgined to be in dynamic mode by defasult to catch your eye in the show room!)

Use cinema mode or normal mode for the first few weeks with the settings turned down a little. They do not have to be half way just down from the inital settings.

After the run in time, use a disc such as digital video essentials to calibrate brightness contrast and sharpnes properly.

And above all relax and enjoy your shiny new toy. You really shouldnt worry about any on screen logos or watching movies with black bars as long as they are not on in one spot for hours and hours on end.

For new plasmas there should really be a "running-in-" safety mode which is automatically preset when you switch on the tv. Then after the tv has been on the required time a msg should appear saying you can now change the settings as to your preference" Surprised something like this is not built in by manufacturers considering the infamy of the dreaded screen burn.

Well you could always use your TV's zoom control to shunt the scorebar and ITV logo off the screen if you want real peace of mind. Ive started doing that as im really frightened of these logos causing screen-burn.

i`m not been funny but its a joke having to by a nice new tv from £1000 to £6000 and having to watch what your doing, and for using the zoom thats a joke to i hate using zoom it losess to much of the picture this is why thay brought out widescreen tvs over 4:3 becasue it gives you more of the picture so why use zoom to get less again ???? just becase of screenburn.

I have looked at alot of tvs lcd and plasma and i have to say plasma is the best for picture but as LCD LED versions are comming out this year with 100,000:1 contrast it might just be a plasma killer why will have to wait and see

but what stops me buying a
plasma = screenburn and having to do this and that before you can enjoy it and even then you could still get screenburn or IR problems

LCD = bad contrast & colours that are not naturel but could change with the new LCD LED tvs

i know pioneer are bringing the plasma 2 out the super plasma which is CRT blacks but i bet you still have SB & IR problems

panasonic 10th gen panel and pioneer on there 8th and thya still can not stop this from happening

i mean read this
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504640
you never get that with crts its one thing after another with these new displays like a rainbow effect i have seen this myself in the shops

when you bought a crt all you had to worrie about is if the screen was flat or if it was razor sharp and had a good finsih not now

4 years i have been wating to upgrade but not until both of them sort the problems out thay should never have stoped building crt becasue the new flat panels are still not up to scratch

alot of you are happy with your new screens which i am happy for you but i am sorry untill i can get a tv where i can plug it into the wall and just watch it and not have to worrie about SB or IR or blakc levels and responce time i will not be getting one

but thats my 2 cents worth

i`m not been funny but its a joke having to by a nice new tv from £1000 to £6000 and having to watch what your doing, and for using the zoom thats a joke to i hate using zoom it losess to much of the picture this is why thay brought out widescreen tvs over 4:3 becasue it gives you more of the picture so why use zoom to get less again ???? just becase of screenburn.

I have looked at alot of tvs lcd and plasma and i have to say plasma is the best for picture but as LCD LED versions are comming out this year with 100,000:1 contrast it might just be a plasma killer why will have to wait and see

but what stops me buying a
plasma = screenburn and having to do this and that before you can enjoy it and even then you could still get screenburn or IR problems

LCD = bad contrast & colours that are not naturel but could change with the new LCD LED tvs

i know pioneer are bringing the plasma 2 out the super plasma which is CRT blacks but i bet you still have SB & IR problems

panasonic 10th gen panel and pioneer on there 8th and thya still can not stop this from happening

i mean read this
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504640
you never get that with crts its one thing after another with these new displays like a rainbow effect i have seen this myself in the shops

when you bought a crt all you had to worrie about is if the screen was flat or if it was razor sharp and had a good finsih not now

4 years i have been wating to upgrade but not until both of them sort the problems out thay should never have stoped building crt becasue the new flat panels are still not up to scratch

alot of you are happy with your new screens which i am happy for you but i am sorry untill i can get a tv where i can plug it into the wall and just watch it and not have to worrie about SB or IR or blakc levels and responce time i will not be getting one

but thats my 2 cents worth
I think the more expensive Panasonic and Fujitsu panels are pretty immune to screen burn and retention.

I have never seen either on my Fujitsu panels, and I watch a lot of Sky with nasty DOGs and use them as PC monitors and do a bit of gaming.

So if you buy a panel with excellent black levels and response times (Panasonic PH9 or Fujitsu 58 series) and not a TV you should be ok.

The Fujitsu 58 series is definitely a worthy but pricey replacement for a CRT.

So if you buy a panel with excellent black levels and response times (Panasonic PH9 or Fujitsu 58 series) and not a TV you should be ok.

I know the processing and general build quality of the panasonic panels is supposed to be better than their tv equivalents but surely given that they both use exactly the same panel their respective performance in regards to screen burn would be identical?

For what it is worth my panasonic tv is constantly tuned to nick jr for hours on end during the day (no my children don't watch it for long , they just never turn it off when they go and do something else) and all I ever get is a few minutes retention of the channel logo at worst and no sign of screen burn so far and thats after having the tv for a year

It's no different to driving a car carefully first thing, or running in an engine for the first 6000 miles. Personally I don't mind doing this on a plasma for a couple of hundred hours to reap the benefit for the rest of its life.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom