1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Burn

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by annefromuk, Nov 17, 2001.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Projectors are not the best things to use with Gaming Consoles due to the Bulb Life.

But I am thinking of purchasing a Projector to use with an Xbox so I can get a large HDTV picture.

I only understand a small amount about screen burn, so would like to know if DLP, LCD and CRT Projectors suffer from this?

Thanks in Advance.

Anne

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    CRT projectors are most likely to suffer with screen burn. But simply turning down the brightness and contrast settings can reduce the risk.

LCD and DLP projectors are less prone to burn and so better suited to playing games. However, in extreme cases it is possible to damage them if a game were played constantly for hundreds of hours without a break.

If game playing is the main use for a projector (say 50% or more of the time) then an LCD or DLP projector may be the better choice.

If running cost is important, look at the Sim2 range of DLP projectors and Philips Monroe & cSmart LCD projectors. These feature long life lamps that last up to 6000hrs, this is three times longer than most other single lens projectors.

Regards

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not wanting to discredit what Chris says (he should know more about this subject than I) but I believe that LCDs (and probably DLPs) don't suffer screen burn AT ALL - this view was confirmed by Richard Ansell in another post I made on this subject some weeks ago. Only CRTs and Plasmas are likely to suffer, I think.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Nigel (and all interested),
    Fixed panel devices can burn, but not in the same way as phosphor based displays. Maybe this is where you are confused. But before you all panic, read on...

Projector lamps emit Infra Red energy (heat), but most of this is blocked with an IR filter which is fitted between the lamp and condensor lens. A small amount still passes onto the panels which is why many LCD projectors have fan cooling near the LCDs. Over time this heat will cause a slight colour change (darkening) of the panels. (NOTE: This is a very gradual process, it takes many thousands of hours to build up)

When playing a films/TV the LCD panels would darken evenly. However, when playing video games some parts of the LCD matrix remain in a fixed state. This can cause more heat build up in those parts of the LCD panels where the projector is attempting to create dark areas of the picture.

I'll stress again that this is a very gradual process. In reality the average movie fan won't encounter this issue, and even avid games players shouldn't be affected. But it is not accurate to say that fixel panel devices don't burn - it's just very rare to see an image burn similar to a CRT or Plasma screen burn.

I hope this clears up the issue.

BTW, I'm a CRT fan for home movies.

Regards

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Aha.....

Presumably this is a much more gradual process than that which occurs on devices that use phosphors to generate light ie CRTs and Plasma - and depends to a great extent on the efficacy of the IR filters and cooling in the device. And it won't depend to anything like the same extent, on contrast and brightness settings as it does with phosphor-based devices?

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yep. Pretty much what I said in the previous post...

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    DLP and LCD both can get memory problems. I.E. the device is not moved enough (DLP) or left in one state of charge (LCD). Often switching on and off clears the issue.......... but not always.

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of going the CRT route but after reading on the forums about people spending their time mainly tweaking/fixing/converging their projectors it put me off.

I have a flat panel display in the living room along with the lcd projector and that pretty much acts as a home entertainment screen and so far after 6 months of LCD static windows background no screenburn :D

James

p.s a mate of mine who had a large screen monitor for his PC showed me what looked like tube burn on his 3 year old monitor. I've never seen it before but you could see where the 3 guns had met in the middle of the screen and literally burnt a mark on the tube!. I tend to sit further away now from my 21" sony after seeing that :eek: