1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ashley duggan, Sep 3, 2005.

1. ashley duggan

ashley duggan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the middle of deciding to buy a plasma or a rear projection dlp,i realise they both have flaws but what does it mean as regarding screen burn when a bright image or bright image part is left permanently on screen for an extended period of time.How long is an extended period of time,these logo's are on a lot of sky channels.I wonder if this problem will be on the next generation plasma's out this month.I also wonder which is worse,screen burn or the rainbow affect found on dlp's.I will just add that black's are important to me and so are fast movements particular when watching sky football and action sky films.Please feel free to help me decide which technology i should go for with a budget of £3,000.
    Many thanks.

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt try to make u decide what to buy cos both systems like u say have there good and bad points...I can only go on by what Ive experienced....I have the Panasonic 42pv500 and although some people have had problems with it on here Ive had none of these since buying it about 2 months ago. The thing to remember about Plasmas' is to run them in (and there is plenty of info about that on here) but basically thats immidiately turning down settings especially contrast and brightness to at least 50% and then turning the most vivid picture mode ( in panasonics case its called Dynamic) to another setting for about the first 200hrs of use...after this u can turn things up a bit although dont use the most vivid setting unless u really want to cos this lessens the life of the tv which should give u at least 20 years. Once ran in Ive found u can use a Plasma much the same as a CRT tv and watch films with black bars and tv with logos to your hearts content (although obviously dont leave a static object on all day and night cos u will get image retention as u would on CRT) but even if u do it is easy enough to get rid of....have a read of this link to see what a good Plasma can take with no lasting effect http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p.../273087528Pioneer DTV White Paper - FINAL.pdf ps Blacks are spot on on my Plasma (Panasonic apprently have some of the best black levels with Plasma) although bad sources such a badly encoded dvd will behave less well with black pps the pq improves alot over the run in period to IMHO...hope this helps u :)

3. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorrym but in the English language it is "YOU" not "U" FF sake!

4. johnhy

johnhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Mind u most people would spelly sorry a different way from u.

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl:

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Alan A if I want a lesson in the correct terms and use of the English language I will be sure to give U a shout. However as I'm not in an English grammer lesson and as I also believe the English language is flexible (if it wasn't we would still all be speaking old Saxon) I won't take your advice if you don't mind. Now I have already been banned once here for speaking my mind to someone who thinks he's a smart ass....please dont make me take another break as I enjoy chatting on these forums :)

7. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, I would like to relay my experience. I was one of the guys who did experience burn in on a new Panasonic plasma. My thread about it was titled "colour ran out of my face" I think. Anyway, a few guys have posted comments that modern plasmas are burn proof, especially if 'run in'. Well, that is not true. You should run them in of course, and if you buy Panasonic, avoid the dynamic mode altogether, it is hideous. (to give an example, when watching a football match it made the grass turquoise) Logos vary in intensity, and the one you need to avoid the most is cbeebies. Given half a chance a child will leave your set running in the day as background noise while they play. The cbeebies logo is bright yellow and black and can reek havoc on a plasma. The other digital logos seem to be ok on my set after the run in period, but tread with care. And if the instructions for your set, whatever you buy, say logos can burn your screen, then take that advice over the advice of anyone on this forum. My screen was burnt with less than 12 hours exposure to the cbeebies logo, although I have almost got rid of it now. It now only shows up when the screen is purple, which is good. However it has taken many weeks of looping dvds and non logo viewing to get it to even this stage. I found I had to turn the contrast up quiet high in order to shift the image, at lowish settings it just stayed there. To be honest, plasma is still in the realm of the enthusiast, rather than at the stage where you can happily throw caution to the wind and let everyone use one as they see fit. Hope this helps.