1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Burn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by billgreenwood, Jan 3, 2005.

1. billgreenwood

billgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on purchasing an Lg Mz42pz45v and am a littte concerned that plasmas are rumoured to suffer from screen burn.

Is this just a myth?

I've read some conficting stuff on the net about this. Some people say that you should "run-in" the screen continuasly with a screensaver for the first 50-100 hours.

Is there any truth that the broadcaster logo on the corner of the screen or the newsbars at the bottom will eventually become a permanent ghost on the screen. I've read that with even 20 mins viewing these can be a problem.

Can anyone clear up this subject?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Plasmas can suffer from screen burn but you need to leave a static image on screen for hours at a time for this to happen. You can get image retention from logos but this will go away once the logo is no longer displayed.

It's often advised that you reduce the contrast on the screen for the first 100 hours or so althouth you'll probably do this anyway as it's usually far to high out of the box.

I watch all my TV through Sky so plenty of logos and have used a PS2, XBOX and PC for 3-4 hours at a time and have had no problems with permanent burn.

HTH

John

3. billgreenwood

billgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is good news, I was thinking that I would have to be putting up with a cartoon network logo whilst i was trying to watch the footie!!

Thanks for the reply