1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen burn

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Beermonster, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Beermonster

Beermonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get my new Tosh 42WT29B today. Just a bit concerned about screen burn, if that's the right term. Looking at a pdf of the instruction book over the weekend, it says....
    If stationary images generated by TELETEXT, PROGRAMME IDENTIFICATION LOGOS, COMPUTER DISPLAYS,
    VIDEO GAMES, ON SCREEN MENUS, etc. are left on the TV screen for any length of time, they will become
    permanently ingrained. The software in this TV has been designed to reduce this effect by changing the position
    of the display from time to time. Also, if a digital on-screen menu is left on the screen unused it will automatically
    darken until it is used (the analogue menus will disappear if unused).
    If you use your television to display completely still images, or moving pictures which have a permanent still
    image superimposed e.g. broadcast network logos, it is always advisable to reduce BOTH the brightness and
    contrast settings.
    THIS DAMAGE IS EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR AND IS NOT PROTECTED BY YOUR WARRANTY AS IT IS THE
    RESULT OF MISUSE.

I like to watch sky news and my niece spends a lot of time in my house and she loves to watch CBeebies, both of which channels have massive logos, as do most Sky or Freeview channels. So do I have to keep the contrast and brightness low all the time?
    I might start a ban the logo movement. Want to join?:thumbsup:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I had a Tosh 40" RPTV for over 2 years during which time I used SKY for all of my TV viewing as well as using it for PS2 and XBOX gaming and can honestly say I never saw a hint of screen burn.

I did have the contrast down - this is a good idea in any case rather than having it set at 100 as it comes from the factory.

HTH

John

3. Beermonster

Beermonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What did you have the contrast set at or what do you recommend.

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Burn in is a downside of this particular tech but it can be avoided so long as you take reasonable care and carry out a prevention routine. You can watch any channel for as long as you want just change the channel every now and again so as to fully change the image. Lets face it more than 6 hours of CBeebies at one sitting and you have more to worry about then screen burn.

Turn down the contrast and brightness to say 40/60 or there abouts and you should be fine. This does not mean you cannot turn it up or have it higher but just strike a balance. The main thing to watch out for is the areas of the screen that stay the same as in onscreen logos and game menues or readouts. :thumbsup:

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If I remember correctly, I think the contrast was somewhere between 40 - 45

John