screen burn

paulefox

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am looking at buying the Sony KE42TS2 plasma
what is the likelyhood of getting screen burn on these and how long would an image have to be there to effect it.

likely hood is not likely.

Just don't go out over a weekend and leave your tv on something static. Just be sure to shut it off if your out longer then say 4hrs or even more.

It isn't so likely with modern plasmas now.

Koing

The ALIS panel this screen is built around was actually developed for commercial display, and the alternating rows of pixels were meant to help with the screen burn issue. Doesn't appear to be better than other modern plasmas in this respect, but then there isn't a big sample of sonys, they haven't made much impression on the plasma market. It's not their glass, they buy it in from fujitsu/hitachi. Why not look at theirs if you like the sony? Same thing but cheaper.

Not really, but then as |I say there's not a big sample, it's neither the most elegant, best picture, best priced, or really anything but having sony on the front, so not many about. There's much better value out there. Check also if you must have this one about mounting options. It has a funny back, and will not fit standard wall mounts. The sony one is about £350 as I recall, but you can get a bracket for just about any other plasma for £100 or so with a bit of searching.

Panasonic Th42PW6B -

Digital-point.co.uk £2784 (with scart board)
totaldigital.biz £3088 (with Tuner)
Techtronics £2789 (with Scart Board)

Th42PA20B -

Digital-point.co.uk £3,150
hispek.com £3,200
techtronics £3,223

HTH :)

Originally posted by paulefox
I can get this one for £3100 , what would you suggest as an alternative

John Lewis are still doing the Hitachi 42PD3000 for £3,000 incl delivery and a 5 year warranty. There are several threads on this forum about this. I think the best one is .... First impressions Hitachi 42PD3000, or something similar. A search should find it no probs.
Hitachi comes with Media box, detachable speakers (all plasmas look better without speakers stuck on the side) and a revolving table top stand. Media box has loads of connections (component, s-video, 3 scarts etc). Also excellent picture.

Free 5 year warranty is a big plus. Curry's are charging £1,299 and Comet £1,299 for this !!!

The PD3000 was what I'd thought when planting the non-sony idea. The pw6 is the biz, but not for the faint hearted connectivity wise, as you know. The tv type is plasma for the masses, ie anyone stands a chance of a decent picture, I'm assuming he wants a tuner. Even though my personal views on this are well known.... Paul, if you have digital TV already, consider a panel type rather than a tv, you'll be happier in the long run, but the hitachi is the runaway winner in the VFM stakes in TV types. No more 434's till Feb/March now in any case. Just installed a PW6, sky, DVD-RAM, what other tuner do you need? If you have no sky or cable, do it with freeview, how about a PW6, and a Pace twin? Get a DVD and amp/speakers, basic, from your choice of discount retailer, and serious home cinema is yours.

Edit: having read your signature now, Doh! It's a no brainer, get a panel, none of this built in tuner rubbish, get sky or freeview, and you can choose between 42" TV and 100" tv.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom