1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Burn with video games

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by daveb975, Dec 22, 2003.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I am just about to connect my PS2 to my new plasma, but am a little concerned about the increased risk of screen burn that this may cause.

Is there an extra risk with using PS2 etc over DVD/TV, or is it just a case of not playing for too long and being careful of logos?

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    The source won't make any difference. It's the presence of any stationary objects on screen that does the damage. Plasmas are particularly prone to burn for the first 100 hours of so of use so I would avoid all games and stations with DOGs until then.

3. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting a new Pio 434 and i want to hook my xbox. does that mean i should wait 100 hours? this is starting to get very confusing. Please help

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I certainly would. I work for one of the manufacturers and I have seen several plasmas with burns. All of these have been new or nearly new sets used for a few tens of hours at most. Enquiries with the panel suppliers led to the 100 hour advice. To be on the safe side I would recommend avoiding anything with stationary picture content for as long as you can.

5. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody explain the physics behind the "first hundred (or so) hours", and why the problem lessens with usage?

6. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GaryB when we are talking about static images on the screen actually for about how long do they have to be displayed to cause a burn?

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    We had one returned a few months ago with the Men In Black DVD menu burnt into it. You could even see the MIB Logo. The dealer who returned it said it was on screen for around 6 hours. This was a brand new set on demo in a shop. I have no way of knowing if the timing is true or not but, if it is, that is probably the fastest I have experienced.

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    How long a static image takes to 'burn' the screen seems to depend very much on the screen itself.

I was using a PC within the first 100 hours of ownership of my Hitachi 42PD3000 and after 3 hours use had only the very slightest after image of the XP taskbar which disappeared after a minute or so of full screen video. I've also used an XBOX for long periods of time without any problems.

One of the first things I did after the installation of the plasma was to turn the contrast down - from memory, I've got it set at around 30%

John

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    That was my question too. The answer I got was that the screen is more susceptible to burn when new as the emission from the screen is higher when the set is new and then settles down to a slightly lower level where it remains for the life of the display. There is some stuff from Fujitsu here that may be of interest.

10. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm glad to see a post by someone who actually works for a manufacturer and admits that screen burn occurs. All those plasma owners who have been denying that this is an issue in previous threads should take note that this is a problem with this technology

11. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it has always been known and admitted that screen burn is an issue with plasma's, I think what myself and others have said previously is that we have used console's for long periods of time without any screen burn issues (albeit probably after the first 100 hours and probably with the brightness/contrast settings set to a more reasonable level).

This is not to say other users should not take care with these issues (different plasmas with different usage will have different results).

Personally, I think on-screen channel logos would be more of a worry (personally I don't watch any TV so I cannot comment on this).