1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Burn Still an issue with the latest models?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FlyingBig, Apr 11, 2004.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it is then im crossing plasma screens off my list, especially when im a gamer :s and watch alot of sky

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    FlyingBig

Yes Screen Burn is still an issue - as it always will be with Plasma I'm told.

How big an issue - big enough for the manufacturers to usually mention it about page Two in the user manual.

How big an issue for general viewing - with Terrestrial and Digital TV its pretty much a non issue; as long as you don't have your contrast set to eye scorching levels.

With your PC or console its more of an issue - though again with the correct screen and a decent set up and proper use of screen savers it can be easily managed.

Have a look through the Forum and see how many posts relating to Actual (not perceived or pre empted) damage exist and if they tend to be with one model of display.

Best regards

Joe

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I have a games PC and a GameCube in my plasma, and they get more hours than anything. Sky is usually set to CBeebies.

Not one sign of screenburn.

StooMonster

4. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    StooMonster,

Interesed to know what kind of plasma you have?

I've had my Pioneer PDP 504HDE for a few weeks and thought it was also immune to the "burn" - however after the kids had a mammoth "CBeebies" viewing session I noticed that the logo had left a definate burn - luckily after a couple of hours of watching Nemo it seems to have cleared again :thumbsup:

So maybe the latest generation still suffer but are better at recovery??

5. Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there is a lot of confusion between screen burn and image lag.

My 504 certainly suffers from image lag in that it can be on for even a short time with a stationary image which you can just about see hours after but will go.

Equally I can leave it with a channel logo all day and the next day it's gone.

I feel you'd have to be almost deliberate to cause screen burn.

Question: If my insurance will cover me for my house burning down, why won't it cover me for screen burn?:laugh:

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pioneers are especially prone to 'lag', 'ghosting' call it what you will. Non permanent persistent image? Real burn is something else, but I've had the pants scared offf me a few times by this behaviour with Pioneer, but it's never come as far as the real thing. You often see burn on public display plasmas, there's one at Waterloo I walk past frequently, so bad you can hardly see what it's really meant to be showing. I think the computer driving it crashed and nobody noticed for a week! That's the kind of crassness that causes burn. There are 1 or 2 people with experience of real screenburn here, IIRC with Hitachi. They are very bright, and are delivered with Joe's 'scorching contrast levels'. Ordinary, sensible precautions are enough to prevent it. It warns you on the packaging for games that you will get human brain burn if you play for too long!

7. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go up the escalators on the East side of Harrods there's a few plasmas screens there used for signage. Terrible screen burn on those things but the same 30 second clip gets played all day.

I've also noticed the increasing use of plasma screens in airports in the last few years for arrive/departure information. The benifits must outweigh the negatives.

I'll be happy to post an update in six months time on the issue if anyone can wait that long. My TV is on probably 8-10hours a day.

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting replies guys, thanks for the info. Still not convinced though and i will only ever buy a plasma tv if there is at least 3 year cover against screen burn. If im parting with a couple of thousand pound then the least they can do is guarantee me total statisfaction. Out of interest is there any plasma tvs out there that do guarantee against screen burn and will replace your set for you?

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sure, but not on this planet :D

10. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt screen burn will ever be covered by insurance because the problem only comes about through misuse. Its kind of hard to show you just how much you are over estimating the problem that is screen burn. You would have to fry the screen to get perminent burn on it.

It always seems to be a concern of first time plasma buyers and even people just learning about plasma technology. Its the Joe Public opinion of plasma technology if you will....along with "nah mate, you wanna be watchin' out for dem plasma fingies. I 'eard they overheat all the time".

Even projectors and RPTVs cause screenburn so if you're looking for a big display TV, give up now.

11. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate fact of life. Plasmas will screenburn if the conditions are right. Take a look at the CRT screens on Cash Machines and see for yourself.

My last CRT TV has a logo screen burn after having the same channel on for 6 hrs a day for 4 years.

LCD will not screen burn by nature, BUT the backlight will dim over time and almost certainly the diming will cause uneven illumination of the screen. Also dead pixels will be a problem as each pixel is more difficult to manufacture than on a plasma.

Nothing is perfect. When my plasma gives up I too will look forward to purcahsing an affordable 42" LCD TV with the same quality as my current plasma.

Spend a little less on your next new car and enjoy the best TV picture available at a reasonable cost. A top of the range Sony 36" CRT will cost nearly £2,000. Why not spend a few hundred pounds more, and get an extra few inches thrown into the bargin.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    FlyingPig

Maybe you missed my post - most manufacturers shout out about screen burn on PAGE TWO of the user manual - just as my car drivers manual says check it for oil and don't sit with your foot to the floor until it blows the engine.

Screen burn is a non issue if you take heed of the warnings.

I've owned and installed plasma since 1998 and have NEVER had one with permanent burn - and our hire stock had a far tougher life than any Home Entertainment product.

Best regards

Joe

888 - I think some Samsung LCD owners have had problems with residual images.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We have a surprising amount of shared history, Joe. And I too have never had 'one of mine' burn.