Screen Burn Resilience Compared to Old CRT Rear Pros

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Kevo, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The reason I ask is because for the past four years I have owned a Tosh 40" Rear Pro CRT (40WH08B) and I remember back then people saying that they were very suspect to screen burn (more so than a srandard CRT).

In those four years there hasn't been a hint of screen burn and that's from an ex-display model!

Any ex-RP owners out there?
    Are Plasmas more suspect that CRT RPs?

However, my viewing habits are mainly the regular (logo free) terrestrial digital channels and rarely any Sky, music or kids channels. Although my nephews give it agood hammering during the school hols....Kids channels and xbox all day!

But I do watch a lot of 4:3 music DVDs (some run for 2hrs or more) and most of my DVD fims are in 2.35:1 (obviously as it's still the most popular aspect ratio for Hollywood films) which I watch all in OAR (any other 'stretchy/smart' mode makes me wince!). Some xbox games in 4:3 have been known to go on for several hours too!

I'm in the market for a new TV, probably the Pan 42PV500 and i've read all about the '200 hrs breaking in' period and you should use full screen all ARs.

I'm prepared to do so during this period but no way indefinatley...It's OAR or nothing for me.

Do you all watch in OAR after the inital running in period is over and have you experienced any burn issues because of this?

This is the only thing that's holding me back in purchasing, as it was four years ago for a while.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Anybody?

3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kevo....I have the 42PV500 and I ran it in and now its used for everything from logo infested tv to long films with black bars and my daughter and her playstation and its an absolutely wonderful TV. My brother used to have a RP CRT and he used it for alsorts and I never remember him having any probs with it either....I do remember him wiring it up with a prologic system though and claiming it was just as good as 5.1 dolby digital, when I checked it I found he had wired up the rear speaker to the front speaker outputs the muppet lol.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,060
    I had the same set as you and got screen burn on it after about 6 months, in fact have a look on this page of the LogofreeTv website. Half way down on the right hand side is a little box with a comment I made about screen burn.
    At that point the logofreetv website was just talking about the annoyance of logos and didn't even consider screen burn.

The Panny plasma panels are far more resilient than CRT projectors when it comes to screen burn. However there have been a few reports on teh PV500, but if you have avoided it with your Tosh I think you will be fine.

5. Sandwalker

Sandwalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

First posting on AVF!

Had the 40WH08B for over 4 years now and consider it the best rear projection set from that period, it still out performs most CRT RPTV's, and also feel that due to the analogue nature of the CRT projection system provides a better picture than current cheaper LCD/PLASMA systems which seem to add digital artifacts and give a more pixelated result.

But just recently had set repaired, red convergence IC issue, had to watch 21" for a week! This seems to be an issue with this set - checked Ebay and found 5 sets for spares or repair with same issue in the last 2 weeks.

(Repaired at GGN TV - Ipswich)

Now to the thread - as for burn in - none noticed until the repair was completed. When checking white balance (Service Menu) noticed very faint Sky menu on lower portion of screen. not noticable when watching normally.

Otherwise I am and have been very pleased with the set!

Note - None of the options on the service menu are instantly dangerous to the set. But take note of all setting values before adjusting.

This can not be said for the design menu, so keep away from that!!

Service manual can be found on www.ddd2002.com

Sandwalker

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I had the same TV, also for four years but upgraded recently.
    I too never had any screen burn issues in all those years, which included a lot xbox gaming!

A great TV in it's day and still better than a lot of the current LCDs in SD.