1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Burn Questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by vhaines, Sep 13, 2004.

1. vhaines

vhaines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

At the end of last week, I took delivery of a Pioneer 434HDE. Spent Friday evening and most of Sat fiddling around with cables. Got everything up\ and running, and it looks pretty good. Sky+ and DVD are setup via RGB, and all seems fine. Unfortunately, there wasn't a manual for the display in the box - but it was pretty easy to find my way around the menus. Based on some advice on this forum, the panel is running below maximum brightness/contrast, and i managed to watch a couple of films over the weekend, and a bit of News 24.

What concerns me is there are traces of screen burn with less than 10 hours use, at less than maximum brightness. I noticed this when I powered it up this morning - I could see part of the News24 logo in bottom left, and that damn red button logo in top right.

If this *IS* permanent, then I'm majorly annoyed for a number of reasons.

1. It was running well below maximum levels
    2. It's been on for less than 10 hours - and less probably less than 90mins on News24
    3. Those bloody logos!

Any advice on how to proceed? Should I reject the goods (7-day cooling off, credit card purchase), or is this not really burn and can be "resolved" in some way?

I am thoroughly hacked off - this sort of thing really shouldn't happen.

:lease:

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Image lag can occur when there's been a strong image on the screen, but it should fade. You should not have screen burn so soon and with the sort of usage you describe. It really is pretty difficult to parmanently burn a screen with normal viewing but the screens do need a bit of care for the first few hundred hours

Use the screen but stay off News 24 and see what happens. The image should go.

3. vhaines

vhaines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I'll check it again this evening.

Vince

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I hope that works out OK for you - if not then you could probably get your money back SOMEHOW, so long as you don't mention burn in as the problem.

It really is a total joke though, I wonder how long it is before someone comes out with a device that intercepts the signal and smudges out these logos.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    You really need to run brightness and contrast at fair bit below half way levels for the run in. All screens are very susceptible to screen burn when their new and some manufacturers are prone to image retention.

10 hours is more than enough to cause burn in on a new screen though you maybe ok if you stay off those channels for a while.

6. vhaines

vhaines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Checked when I got back home last night, and there is no sign of burn-in. Phew! :smashin:

Now, just have to deal with the damn clock resetting all the time. New media box please....

Vince
    ps - if damage is caused by burn-in, is it not possible to take action against the TV channels for damage?