Screen burn question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Lobo, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im about to invest in a 46-50" TV, and am trying to decide between plasma and LCD. Difficulty trying to demo in the right environments at a store.

My question on the plasma side is re. screen burn. This TV will be used as throught day and night and is not specifically for home theatre use (I have a separate projector setup already for this). Will be fed Sky HD (alot of football) and be used for gaming a bit.

Will scrren burn be a possible issue with a plasma? Is LCD the better solution for this type of usage?

2. Crabman32

Crabman32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I think it will depend on the set. I have just bought a Samsung Q7 50" and in the manual it states that a static image should not be shown on the screen for more than 2 hours. The set does have a setting that shifts the pixels slightly every now and then to help prevent screen burn but if you are going to be showing Sky for long lengths of time the logo in the top right could cause you problems. All the pubs in my area that show Sky sports a lot have all gone for LCD screens, probably because of screen burn. Hope this helps.

3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    I have a Fuji and have experienced no screen burn...even with my daughter pausing and going off for hrs

4. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the response.
    Do you guys not have issues with daytime viewing with reflections on the screen?

5. steveho

steveho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Panny viera 42" two years old

Personally think screen burn is a myth these days-not been an issue for me

Reflections can be an issue but these an be overcome

6. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    I don't watch too much during the day tbh...I have blackout backed curtains so I can make a cinema 24hrs a day if I want.

Plasmas are reflective but so was my CRT...and my PJ was appauling in day light :D advantages outweigh the negatives in my opinion :thumbsup:

7. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Personally I would go for a Fujitsu 58 series unless you are watching in a sunny conservatory where an LCD might be better.

I think screen burn is a non issue for Fujitsu 58, 51 and 40 series plasmas.

I have never had a single problem with my 2 month old Fuji 51 and my 8 year old Fuji PDS4207.

The only screen burn issue with a Fujitsu I have managed to find on google is with the first to 3rd generation models which are over 8 yrs old now.

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    A good plasma will do the business. Fuji 58 series if the budget stretches to it or Panasonic PHD8 (or 9 series available shortly).

9. fatiko

fatiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have PIO 506 XDE with 220 hours and I am still on the running in settings and I still have image retension after 1 hour watching of the same channel with static logo. The difference is that when the screen was first in with 0 hours it took me 10 hours to clear the retension with snow screen, now it takes just a few minutes after simply switching to another channel(no snow screen is needed). I think I can increase the contrast gradually now...

10. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I had a Fuji 58 series for a few weeks but I am afraid with HD material retention is an issue. I ran the set on low settings for well over 200 hours, contrast 60 and everything else at -4 to -6. I left it on these settings even after the 200 hours and experienced no problems with any SD material retention but Sky HD logos (Sky One etc) and any Xbox 360 (HD 720p) gaming caused retention after only very brief periods (30-40 mins). It then usually took well over an hour on the white screen to remove this retention. The retention can only be seen on light backgrounds (bright sky, snow etc) but it was pretty bad. I should also point out that leaving the TV on normal video for an hour or two did not remove the retention, it had to be the white screen. I will also say before someone asks that all my inputs on the Fuji were set at the same low settings and were checked each time I viewed any HD material.

So as far as I am concerned retention is still an issue for plasma in my experience which is a real shame because other than that the Fuji is just fantastic and produces the best image quality I have ever seen.

11. evans_69

evans_69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking for a 40-42" flat panel TV for a while now and after going into comet and currys this saturday realised i wont be buying a plasma..There were 6 plasma tv's in a long row, we turned the channel over to smile tv which has a white background (or grey as plasma do) and 5 out of 6 of the tv's had bad screen retention on them... the channel that they were left on was mtv hits which has reguler breaks.. very concerning.. so for you that say screen burn is of the past, well i saw it with my own eyes as did the salesman.. i wanted a plasma for the quality of the sd ... but it looks like another LCD will be sold.

12. Slyboy

Slyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've a Panny TH42PX70 and am still running it in (about 120 hours use now). I use it almost exclusively for Xbox 360 gaming with maybe 5% TV viewing via the freeview tuner in the telly. No problem with burn in at all. I once had a little retention after about 5 hours solid of Guitar Hero II (serves me right!). This went after 2 mins of snowy analogue picture.

So I cant see this being a problem personally. It may depend on which manufacturer or model you are looking at.

13. evans_69

evans_69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only tv out of them to not show retention was the panasonic..

14. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Only been running my PZ70 for around 130 hours and not a single sign of retention yet - daughter watches kids tv for hours at a time.

Still 'running in' though so time will tell.

15. criftin2000

criftin2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you have to run plasma TV’s in?

16. corona007

corona007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've seen some retention on my 42PX70 too in the shape of the black bars top and bottom of 2.35:1 films after watching a couple of them on the trot (roughly 5 hours constant viewing). However I'm still running the TV in (170 hours) so expected some retention and it faded within minutes of switching to full screen pictures so wasn't an issue. I think in all but extreme cases, some retention is normal with Plasmas and is not something to worry about. Forget any "burning" you see in Currys display models - they have the brightness turned high to counteract the bright shop lights and they often display the same pictures for 10-12 hours a day for weeks on end. My local Currys has their 42PX70 in Dynamic mode :eek: