1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen burn poll

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NeilMcRae, Jan 31, 2003.

?

Have you suffered Screen Burn?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2003.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    92.9%
  1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you suffered screen burn?

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no and i hope not to with a little common sence :rolleyes:

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Although i have seen traces of a static image e.g. teletext, the map on GTA Vice City or the black bars from 2.35:1 ratio films, it disapears after watching about 2 mins of tv viewing.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Not personally but I have seen several plasmas with burns. The most serious cases were all DVD menus.

5. P.Smith

P.Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never suffered screen burn because I take sensible precautions. I have often seen bank ATMs with terrible screen burn however. You would think that they would include a screensaver in their software builds.

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    On my last business trip to Canada, whilst passing through Heathrow I noticed that all their flight information screens were vertically mounted Panasonic 'Series 4' models.

None of these had any evidence of screen burn.. This amazed me considering that they showed the same static images 24 hours per day.

However, at the other end, it wasn't so good. In Canada, the flight info screens were NEC.. They were burned beyond belief.

Saying that, if an airport and put a static image on a display 24 hours per day, then I really don't believe (atleast I am hoping) that there is much chance of burning one under normal domestic use!

7. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best ATM screen burn I've seen was in Germany,
    'Your system is running low on Virtual Memory'

8. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When I've been into Dixons HQ in Hemel Hemsptead on a sales vist, they've two plasma displays in reception playing Sky News constantly - all day - 5 days a week.

When the screen goes blank for a second, you can see the burn of the Sky News logo and Sky News Clock in each corner. Ouch! Although they don't care - I bet the screens were donated to them by one of their loving vendors.:suicide:

Timbo

9. datanet

datanet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got really worry after falling asleep with memtest running for about 6 hours on screen, but a good 60 minute screen saver session removed any sign of shadowing...
    I have seen some very badly burned screens in th eBA lounge, and 'short term memory' is a lot more obvious on the plasma than a CRT after a night of reading forums with a static windows bar at the top, but a bit of care does seems necessary. DVD/ TV aren't an issue as I scale them to fit.
    Might be interesting knowing what the difference is between the different panel maunfacturers- I knoe there's ALIS and one other major lighting phospher technique... Fujitsue/ Hitachi/ Philips/ etc claim ALIS helps reduce ageing/ burn, I'm not so sure....the Fujistsu's in BA's Birmingham lounge suggest ALIS tubes burn well..they will all age further (or more unevenly) in high res to TV- how much?

Still, it rocks...pity I hadn't got a 50".... ;-) Suppose this will do for the bedroom once I get a SHMBO and 60/ 72 is norm....

Chris

10. NIIK_TT

NIIK_TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By saying I have not experienced screen burn....