Screen Burn or retention on Pioneer 427xd

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Hampo666, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Hampo666

Hampo666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please

I have had the above plasma for 3 months and have run the plasma on low settings. i have slightly adjusted the settings and now have noticed that on white and pale backgrounds i can see the sky plus paused symbol, even though i have never paused for more than 20 mins and i am really miffed. I have read the threads on the pioneer screen wash but nobody seems to say that it works. I have left the plasma on overnight on snow to no avail. Can anyone tell me what else i could try or i can go back to the dealer as there is no way i have not looked after the plasma. What settings should my plasma be on now. It has been on for over 250 hours on the running in settings. Feeling gutted at the moment

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You are the 1st to report any such retention. I'd say that if it's fairly faint, you are in with a very good chance of getting rid of it. Just lay off the pause, or if you use it, put the screen into standby. That's not too hard? It will fade in normal use over time. My colleagues fried a Pioneer in the showroom I used to work in, left the SW AOTC DVD menu on the screen all weekend, yet 3 weeks later it was OK, and after 6 weeks you couldn't see it at all. Terrified us at the time, the screen belonged to Pioneer GB! It was an MXE 50, worth 5K at the time. I wouldn't bother with washers, snow or anything, just use it and lay off the pause.

3. Hampo666

Hampo666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice mate, my only problems is there is no way of using Sky without the sky + icon coming on. I can only hope it will disappear. When i pause now, I switch to standby. Thanks

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Oh dear, thats not good. Hope it all turns out okay, keep us posted. Especially since a few people on here have ordered this set over the last few days.

5. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a planet somewhere in the depths of the universe
    Ratings:
    +57
    Sorry to hear that you have some possible burn, i've had my set for almost 2months now, been running normal settings after running in for two weeks, have had slight retention, barely visible, thats after 2hrs of having a channel logo.

You could possibly be one of the unlucky ones, hope you get it sorted out, hope i never get any problems with burn/severe retention. Let us know if it clears, would like to know how good these pio's actually are against burn.

6. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    you did the 200 hours run in, in 2 weeks, blimey thats some going! :)

7. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well i did roughly 180hrs, i think it may have been almost 3wks :) , after that i started messing around with settings and increasing them day by day. I did DVE calibration, when the screen had 240hrs on it. Guess the only thing left now is ISF, once i get all my sources sorted. :thumbsup:

8. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There was a thread about whether its worth getting ISF done the other day. It said since in most cases your sources are variable, sky etc. Then it may not be worth it. Well worth a read if you can find it before you spend the money

9. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I will be getting a Pioneer soon but won't be able to use it for a couple of weeks until my room is finished. I was thinking of running it for 10 days on analogue without the aerial plugged in to run it in before I need to use it. Is that a good idea?:lease:

10. tommyav

tommyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    mine also has slight sky + retention on the bottom left part of the screen:mad: hope it goes soon! Its not really clear, but can be seen during white backgrounds in films etc.....
    I also wish you could turn the sky+ logo off!!!!! if it wasnt for sky HD i would go back to using tivo! (miles better pvr!)

will let you know if its gets any worse!

11. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmm, as you say i reckon its retention not burn, keep us informed as mine gets delivered next Wednesday. I dont have Sky + though, just normal sky

12. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I dont see any problems in your idea, you'll be better of with analogue as none of the channels have stupid logos :thumbsdow Mind you, dont be put off by the analogue PQ, its crap. But you wont have to worry too much once your set up with a proper source (sky, cable, dvd, whatever your gonna use).

13. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    LOL, jus realised your not gonna have an aerial. I'm sure it'll be ok, i dont think snow will have any effects. Although its not in colour, so dont know if its gonna be same as a normal run in. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

14. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Just a though but do you see the Sky + pause symbol when not using your Sky box as a source (I.E. on another input?)

Maybe it is the Sky box that has a fault with graphic data bleeding through?

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Running it in for 10 days is a stupid idea. Running in, in my experience, has naff all to do with screen burn. It can happen any time on susceptible screens displaying static images. All you do is take life off the screen and dull the picture. Where, in any manual, any web resource, did this futile load of nonsense come from?

16. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    If its nonsense or not, i'd rather do it than have problems later on.

17. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Maw thanks:thumbsup:

Some sense at last, i have been told that there is nothing in the manual about running in.

Where has this urban myth come from.

You can hardly imagine some sales rep at curries saying to his boss "we cant put that in the showroom yet, its only been going 8 solid days, another two to go and then we can crank her up"

If its not in the manual then surely we can take it that the experts at pio deem it to be unessasary.

if it is in the manual then i apoligize in advance. (i have never actually seen the manual, only going on the fact that people have said there is no mention of screen burn):smashin:

18. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    MAW,

In good controversial mode tonight!

Screens prone to image retention (burn ultimately, but unlike you I have yet to see one of these, my customers are sensible!) do benefit from being treated with caution when they are new.

I have calibrated many Pioneer screens and got very worried about the effect of displaying a test signal to set up sharpness (for instance) on the 6 series. With a very new 6 series, 5 minutes of the test signal and 30 minutes later it was still visible on screen. An hour later and it was totally gone so perhaps you are right.

Customers that have "run-in" their Pioneer plasmas don't give me the same worries. The test pattern is far less prone to image retention.

I fully agree that there are screens out there that are susceptible to screen burn and others that aren't. I had Panasonics here for years and nothing showed any sign of it - long pauses of Sky, speedometers on kids' games, not a trace.

I now have a Fujitsu here, Panasonic screen but with very clever Fuji processing. Belter of a picture but not as resistant to image retention as the previous Panasonics. Despite that comment it is absolutely no problem - with normal video material I defy anyone to see the retention - put up a white screen and it is just visible - but who watches white screens?

Run the screen in on sensible settings - no dynamic mode - and contrast is really the only parameter that matters. It may not be documented but it makes sense.

19. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So how safe am i going to be playing my xbox 360 on my new Pio 427 next week? Im starting to have doubts now! and that LCD would have saved this worry even if the picture wasnt quite as nice for normal viewing

20. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    This way would only really display black & white noise....wouldn't you need to display colour as well to properly run the screen in :confused: :confused: :confused:

21. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Just take it easy the first couple of weeks. Actually I started playing GOW on GAME mode with contarst at 36 for hours. And not a hint of retention so far. I only have like 200hours on it but it's all good. No buzzing or dead pixel either.

22. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    To be honest if people are that worried about retention on the pioneer (they should be...) then why not gor for a pansonic instead? with the phd9 and pv60 being cheaper than the pioneers to me its a no-brainer... However 'when' you do have problems with retention and burn Pioneer customers services are very very helpful ( I speak from personal experience... 4 X 436xde's later I have a panasonic phd8...)

Dont get me wrong pioneer as a brand are excellent its just they have this inherent 'fault' with their screens making them more fragile than a fragile thing!

23. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51

Not with their 7th generation my friend. They have improved it ALOT.

24. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So if I got one I could watch a lot of 4:3 without worrying?

25. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    As I said you have to take it easy for awhile. I play alot on my Neo-Geo AES system (2d) on 4:3 and I have no problems. Although its only for an hour or so.

26. smjxm09

smjxm09

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    No one has ever mentioned needing a colour picture to run a plasma in.

Just read the Pioneer manual, while it mentions the dangers of screen burn there is no mention of running the TV in. So apart from people here does any manufacturer actually state that a plasma should be run in.

27. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    But why should i compromise and get a picture that i personally found inferior to the Pioneer? From what i had read before this thread image retention wasnt a problem on the 7th generation as mentioned above.