Screen burn on VT20 Help!

OkUThinkOfAName

Standard Member
I have had my VT20 for 4 or 5 months now and recently noticed the Virgin Media V+ logo is burned in to the bottom left of the screen. It is very noticable on light coloured backgrounds.

Is there anyway I can fix it before it gets worse?

Pugs1

Some peeps just put on an input which has no signal, so you just get 'noise' on screen.

Stupidly, Panasonic has a builtin scrolling bar hidden away in the service menu which is designed to help with this. If you want to go in to the service menu you can invalidate your warranty. Do a search on the V20's thread on how to do it.

Leave the screen on and let it run, from 20 minutes to several hours depending on how severe the problem is.

Hope your not using dynamic mode to.

Prowse

I have had my VT20 for 4 or 5 months now and recently noticed the Virgin Media V+ logo is burned in to the bottom left of the screen. It is very noticable on light coloured backgrounds.

Interesting - I've had issues with my 42" V10 and image retention (with gaming - in particular the ammo counter from Battlefield: Bad Company 2). What size is your VT20?

The scrolling bar should do the job, or I've got some anti-IR JPG images in my gallery that you can use in a slideshow. Alternatively several hours of TV should remove the IR - just make sure no logo's/sport (avoid red button graphic) - BBC2 is generally good for this. It took 20-30 hours of viewing/slideshows/snow to remove the IR on my V10. It's somewhat frustrating as so many people advised that IR wasn't an issue any more, especially on Panasonic sets. It's also apparent that I'm really picky with stuff like this, I only sit 5.5ft away from the set and will look at the screen from 1 ft to look for IR/other issues in a blacked-out room. I guess most people would be more forgiving. :)

The picture quality is stunning when viewing BluRays, but I think my next purchase will be a full (backlit) LED/LCD set - manufacturers are holding back the OLED stuff.

OkUThinkOfAName

Standard Member
Thanks guys. I have tried the "snow" for a couple of hours but little if any difference. I would be willing to use the service menu but would Panasonic know if it had been accessed? I have the 5 year warranty so don't want to give any reason to refuse repair if something goes wrong with it.

It is the 50" version and had the contrast at about 50 since I got it. I never use Dynamic mode as it looks awfull. My old 42" LG never had a problem and I was much less carefull.

You would think even Virgin could have an option in their V+ box to change the position of the graphic. I think the main problem is when fast forward and pausing TV.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys. I have tried the "snow" for a couple of hours but little if any difference. I would be willing to use the service menu but would Panasonic know if it had been accessed? I have the 5 year warranty so don't want to give any reason to refuse repair if something goes wrong with it.

It is the 50" version and had the contrast at about 50 since I got it. I never use Dynamic mode as it looks awfull. My old 42" LG never had a problem and I was much less carefull.

You would think even Virgin could have an option in their V+ box to change the position of the graphic. I think the main problem is when fast forward and pausing TV.

Go have a chat with your dealer, I use my V20 with my PC at the mo and have no IR problems Ive noticed so far. I also game for hours with no probs. Go to your dealer or contact Panasonic to get it looked at before you do anything in the service menu.

pageyboy

Standard Member
I have had the 42inch model for nearly 3 months. I noticed when we came back from a weekend break after I had the tv on for an hour on Sky News HD and MTV that when I put on my PS3, there was a light shadow of the the logos in the corner.

I was a bit disappointed to say the least. When we were in the store I was told it was virtually impossible to get burn in now on this set. I would have to leave it on pause for days for this to happen. I was a bit reluctant to buy the set due to burn in issues with plasmas. I have always had lcds. The set however showed some of the best pictures we had seen and then took the plunge and bought it. I have never had the picture settings on high contrast, brightness or anything like that. It would be lucky if any of my settings were just over 50%.

I phoned the store and told them of the problem and the guy couldn't understand why I am getting this. We notice the problem sitting 8 feet away from the tv on light backgrounds. I could understand this if I played games for hours or had it on high settings but we dont.

I have tried a few things. I have tried the slides for hours at a time on low settings and high settings, white snow for hours as well and its still lightly there. Another thing is if burn in wasn't a problem any more, why is there a disclaimer in page 3 of the manual about burn in.

The guy at the store said after 2000 (yes I said that right) hours use this won't be a problem any more. To be honest I feel as if I was duped a bit into buying the set.

I thought people should know there is still problems with burn in these days. If any one could give any advice it would be appreciated.

Matt TRD

Can't you guys that have permanent burn in return your sets under warranty etc.

Surely Burn In is not acceptable in this day and age with plasmas especiallly if you have taken reasonable care to avoid it.

I have a 3yr old Pioneer plasma that has been heavily used even for gaming and absolutely no sign of IR or burn in.

If it was me I would return the TVs.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
It may just be bad IR no? I had a mare with IR on my PX80 for months but it never actually burned permanently. If it doesn't go in a couple of days of normal TV then def take it back, no modern plasma used normally should get burn in, if it is in these cases they're the first I've known about. Even my bros 6 year old Pio never had burn and we used to play PS1 and PS2 games on it all the time.

pageyboy

Standard Member

Surely Burn In is not acceptable in this day and age with plasmas especiallly if you have taken reasonable care to avoid it.

I have a 3yr old Pioneer plasma that has been heavily used even for gaming and absolutely no sign of IR or burn in.

When we got home, I obviously went through the manual. I realised what I had been told wasn't accurate when I seen page 3 of the manual.

"Do not display a still picture for a long time
This causes the image to remain on the plasma screen
(“image retention”).
This is not considered a malfunction and is not covered
by the warranty.
Typical still images
● Channel number and other logos
● Image displayed in 4:3 mode
● Video game
● Computer image
To prevent image retention, contrast is lowered
automatically after a few minutes if no signals are sent
or no operations are performed. (p. 107)" - Panasonic manual.

I decided to just roll with it for the time being due to what the guy had said in the shop and what I had read on the net about it being virtually impossible these days to get it. Obviously hinde sight is a wonderful thing and if the image retention keeps up I will argue my case with the shop and say it was sold under false pretences. My partner and I both asked if this was possible before we bought the tv in order to avoid any situations like this incase it came up. I haven't had Sky NewsHD or MTV on since this happened 2 weeks ago to help clear it.

Now it could just be a case of stubborn IR. I will try and post a picture below to see if some of the more teccy guys than me have an opinion on it. Admittingly when I did take the picture I went quite close to the tv in order for the camera to pick it up. But this image can quite clearly be seen when watching normal tv on a light background.

Attachments

• DSC00305 [800x600].jpg
    DSC00305 [800x600].jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,070

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Panny started going backwards with these sets, I think they used different panels.

My PZ70 is absoultly immune to this, so you would have thought all sets would now be.

Obviously my set may not have as nicer picture as these newer ones, but from what I've seen the difference is minimal.

dudeonline

My PZ70 is absoultly immune to this, so you would have thought all sets would now be.

I have owned a PZ70 and it had bad screen burn and I didn't abuse it. It was from normal viewing not leaving it on a channel all day.

I think the manufacturers need to be challenged. It's a broadcast, if they can't receive it without fault and they attach conditions to viewing it, its not fit for purpose. Notice they say 'long periods'. Define 'long periods'? If I watch sky news each morning before work, its only on for 45 minutes a day, however thats over 5 hours a week exposed to the news logo in the same place. So, if I can't watch the same channel each day, its not fit for purpose in my opinion.

Luckily this set got replaced under warranty for another reason, 9 pixel faults.

Last edited:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I have owned a PZ70 and it had bad screen burn and I didn't abuse it. It was from normal viewing not leaving it on a channel all day.

I think the manufacturers need to be challenged. It's a broadcast, if they can't receive it without fault and they attach conditions to viewing it, its not fit for purpose. Notice they say 'long periods'. Define 'long periods'? If I watch sky news each morning before work, its only on for 45 minutes a day, however thats over 5 hours a week exposed to the news logo in the same place. So, if I can't watch the same channel each day, its not fit for purpose in my opinion.

Luckily this set got replaced under warranty for another reason, 9 pixel faults.

It amazes me how different these sets can be(maybe I'm just nieve?), my PX80 had a mare with IR and it was more grey than black, though people were saying how wonderful the PX80 was. My V20 has next to no IR even though I use Virgin, I have channel logos up and game for hours, but others have issues.
I agree totally with what you say and I think something should be done. OK plasmas get IR so people shouldn't be expecting a replacement set for a few mins of retention or even a couple of days, but clearly some cases warrant an immediate replacement IMO.

Paradux

I can help! I had this exact same problem with the BBC news logo during the first 200 hours and it's really faded now. Running analogue noise won't work because the screen will auto dim!

Enter the service menu by holding -V on the TV and pressing 0 three times on the remote. The service menu will boot. Don't do anything other than this! Press red on the remote until you get to the screen wipe (vertical white bar moving across a black screen). Leave this for as long as you can really. Yours looks pretty bad so I'd say try 48 hours.

If this doesn't fix it then I'm afraid it's burn in, however this would surprise me if you're past the run in stage.

Good luck :)

P.S. Thanks to David Mackenzie for this info.

$$Buck-Naked$$

I also have some screen burn but this is due to the fact the VT20 doesn't seem to use any arbiter/pixel shift. Otherwise things wouldn't burn in so clearly.

Yeah Pioneer knew their ****. Those TV's are incredible compared to these high priced Panasonic budget crap boxes.

Paradux

Panasonics are still great TVs which do actually beat Kuro in some respects. Still 9G Kuro remains the reference level. Who knows maybe Panasonic will beat Kuro this year...

pageyboy

Standard Member
I can help! I had this exact same problem with the BBC news logo during the first 200 hours and it's really faded now. Running analogue noise won't work because the screen will auto dim!

Enter the service menu by holding -V on the TV and pressing 0 three times on the remote. The service menu will boot. Don't do anything other than this! Press red on the remote until you get to the screen wipe (vertical white bar moving across a black screen). Leave this for as long as you can really. Yours looks pretty bad so I'd say try 48 hours.

If this doesn't fix it then I'm afraid it's burn in, however this would surprise me if you're past the run in stage.

Good luck :)

P.S. Thanks to David Mackenzie for this info.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have been told if I enter the service menu it will invalidate the warranty. So I am a little stuck at this stage. I have obviously been speaking to the other half about this and we are thinking of taking it back. We occasionally watch tv and for this to happen has been dissapointing. I normally don't buy on impulse, especially with something as pricey as this. But we both really like the picture and the assurances we got from the sales assistant helped in our decision. It'll be the last time I do this. If I can get it back for a refund we are definitely going to go for an lcd/led.

dudeonline

Let us know how you get on, I'd be interested. I don't see how they can get out of it, even if it is not covered as they say. I think there is a strong argument that the sets are not fit for the purpose of receiving a broadcast.

If you have watched your set, using default TV settings and not all day on one channel (although I would argue that one too), how can they say the burn is not covered. Clearly the set isn't fit for today's broadcasting. I don't think it would stand up if challenged.

Matt TRD

I think Dudeonline has a very good point and as I said previously I would return it and if necessary pursue legally if required.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

pageyboy

Standard Member
I think Dudeonline has a very good point and as I said previously I would return it and if necessary pursue legally if required.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

I will do, I have just wrote a letter to the manager of the store and I am posting it via recorded delivery today. I have dealt with these situations before and with what I have learned it is always best to do this as there is then something to fall back on and no one can be accused of what they said or didn't say or they received something or didn't.

I will post an update about this once I have something although it may take some time. Hopefully it won't though but if the past is anything to go by it may do.

JayX

Is there really any way of tracking if someone has been in the service menu? And if so, how can they tell it wasn't a service engineer who did that? Sounds like scare talk to me, because if you mess about with the wrong thing in there you will cause damage that isn't covered. Simply entering the menu isn't going to cause a problem.

My flatmate had a week off work following my purchase of a G20 and played Battlefield 2 (that game again!) for hours despite me warning him not to. Surprise surprise, IR of the round counter in the bottom right corner. Went away after a few days and a ban on him playing that particular game. I find the grey background of the 'GUIDE' button is really good for bringing up any IR that you might not see otherwise, and catch it before it's an issue.

Running the analogue noise thing amuses me as I don't think I have any gear that can kick this out these days! No analogue tuner on the TV and my VCR has been relegated to the cupboard for the last 4 years. Maybe I'll design a white noise generator over HDMI and make my millions that way ;)

pageyboy

Standard Member
Is there really any way of tracking if someone has been in the service menu? And if so, how can they tell it wasn't a service engineer who did that? Sounds like scare talk to me, because if you mess about with the wrong thing in there you will cause damage that isn't covered. Simply entering the menu isn't going to cause a problem.

My flatmate had a week off work following my purchase of a G20 and played Battlefield 2 (that game again!) for hours despite me warning him not to. Surprise surprise, IR of the round counter in the bottom right corner. Went away after a few days and a ban on him playing that particular game. I find the grey background of the 'GUIDE' button is really good for bringing up any IR that you might not see otherwise, and catch it before it's an issue.

Running the analogue noise thing amuses me as I don't think I have any gear that can kick this out these days! No analogue tuner on the TV and my VCR has been relegated to the cupboard for the last 4 years. Maybe I'll design a white noise generator over HDMI and make my millions that way ;)

Honestly I am not sure, you could be right and it may well be scare talk. I can't risk at the moment taking the chance as I will be pursuing returning the set. The last thing I would need is someone saying on inspection of the set that the service menu has been tampered with and they won't take it back.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member

If you have a G20 then you have an Analogue tuner built into the TV ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom