Screen burn on PX60?

ScriptDaddy

Novice Member
I've played my 360 for around 5 hours in one evening session ... playing COD3 ... and not one issue with Screen Burn.

Ben

featherhall

Distinguished Member
watch out for marathon sesions on dead rising though, the health bar soon burns :thumbsdow wish it would fade out like gears of war does
yes, I think more developers should use the fade out system. the health bars should be a thing of the past now, with COD and GOW showing how it should be done now.

Screen burn still causes me concern on the plasma (not so much on the LCD) and I limit the playing time.

PHC

Standard Member
I don't tend to have marathon gaming sessions on mine, but I've had zero burn/retention problems so far (had it about 2 months).

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
My PX60 gets light retention after 5 hours plus of burnout revenge but it disapears after 10 mins of TV viewing.

kevlar

Ridge Racer gives me a fair bit of image retention. Nothing perminant yet though ( touches head ).

hornetrider

Standard Member
No problems here either, playing GOW, GRAW, PGR, Oblivion etc

J

joe_90

mines ok.. has some retention, just don't use dynamic.

Saint row was the worst,, played for 3 hours on dynamic by mistake.. took 1 hours to get rid of the retention.. ouch.. (slight panic at the time).

And i totally agree, transparent (configurable) or fade in huds should be the normal now

synnea

Novice Member
same - slight retention the odd time but fades within 10 mins. Never any burn at all. Just a stunning picture :thumbsup:

J

joe_90

I've played my 360 for around 5 hours in one evening session ... playing COD3 ... and not one issue with Screen Burn.

Ben
If i play for a hour+ and reboot (look on the initial white boot up screen and can you see a slight circle (from the compass)?

I can only see the retention on bright white/ or dark black.. but watching normal tv it fades in about 5/10 mins.

i think if i really look for it (go up close) you can see it, but with normal tv its not there.

Son_of_Noise

Standard Member
Slightly off topic, but what are you PX60 owners using to connect your XBOX, component or VGA? I just got my XBOX (literally a couple of hours ago) and have tried both configurations. The colours definitely look more vibrant through component and XBOX set to 1080i. Some members have said that the VGA gives an overall sharper picture. I tried VGA at 1024x1280 60Hz and really don't notice any great difference in sharpness. The colours did look washed out compared to component, but I haven't really fiddled with the settings on the TV yet.

I realise there are already loads of threads about this, but I am sure the optimum connection varies from panel to panel so it would be really useful to hear some comments about the PX60 specifically.

Thanks!

davieg1

i have an earllier version 42pe50 which is an sd plasma

it upscales to 1080i and i connect with component leads and have not had any image retention or screenburn at all with either digi tv or 360

I play pgr3 pro evo 6 and cod3

adrian3221

mines ok.. has some retention, just don't use dynamic.

Saint row was the worst,, played for 3 hours on dynamic by mistake.. took 1 hours to get rid of the retention.. ouch.. (slight panic at the time).

And i totally agree, transparent (configurable) or fade in huds should be the normal now
Why is it so bad to use dynamic? Just bought my PX60 a week ago and have been using cinema mode. I've tried using Normal also, fiddling with the picture settings but I cant get either mode to look anywhere near as good as dynamic. They just look dull and washed out. Is it ok to use dynamic after the 200 hour run-in?

eob

Hello,
I'm 60 hours into the run in period of my PX60 and after a two hour session on PGR3 last night, it was showing some light retention (hopefully not burn) of the speedo and time.
I only noticed it because I had turned off the Xbox and the lights ready to head upstairs.
I switched to TV and left it with no signal for 10 minutes and checked again. It was considerably reduced but still slightly visible.

Am I to assume that I have only witnessed retention and tonights normal viewing will hopefully wash the rest away?

Son_of_Noise

Standard Member
eob, to be on the safe side (and if you can bear it!) I really wouldn't use the Xbox 360 at all on your PX60 during the 200 hour run in period.

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Why is it so bad to use dynamic? Just bought my PX60 a week ago and have been using cinema mode. I've tried using Normal also, fiddling with the picture settings but I cant get either mode to look anywhere near as good as dynamic. They just look dull and washed out. Is it ok to use dynamic after the 200 hour run-in?
Dynamic is basically all of the settings on max and then some. If you think you getting a decent picture with 100% contrast and 100% brightness "you should have gone to specsavers ":D

I'd recommend buying something like the Video Essentials DVD which would be a good starting point in getting some acceptable settings.

BTW - By using DYnamic you are effectively putting the TV is super charge mode and will probably shorten it's life span.

synnea

Novice Member
eob, to be on the safe side (and if you can bear it!) I really wouldn't use the Xbox 360 at all on your PX60 during the 200 hour run in period.
I have been using my 360 since I got my PX60 - never a problem. Just some retention which fades after 10 to 15mins. This is only even viewable in pitch dark room on a black screen. Use it! Retention is by nature of plasma technology. Only if you leave the same image for hours will it burn. eg avoid playing the same game for over 2hrs for the first 100 hours of use. Simple as that.

Enjoy your screen - PX60 takes your gaming to an amazing level :thumbsup:

eob

UPDATE:
Thanks guys. Have just checked after an evenings normal viewing and the imaging has gone, thank goodness.
I've learned my lesson though; no more xbox until I'm well past 200 hrs.

Cheers.

Scuttlerx

Novice Member
As others have said, retention sometimes depending on the game but no burn whatsoever, I accidentally left it once with my PVR displaying a high contrast image (sign saying 'recording has ended' ) and with a static image in the background and after 15 mins of tv viewing it was gone.

For the guy using vga, you'll be better off setting it to 1024 x 768 (if thats an option, ages ago I tried vga and lead has broke now), close as possible to native res. If youve got the 42" px60 I believe this is native res so it will be spot on.

criticalmass

Not a PX60 but The Godfather has ruined my Pio 436XDE, got the health bar burned into the top left corner & its been there about 2 month now - i think its faded as much as its going to but its definately left its mark, very very visible on a light coloured background.
NFS Most Wanted has left a very slight speedo circle in the bottom right of the screen too.
Pioneer assured me there would be no lasting damage to the screen unless a still image was left there for around 10 hours per day every day for a month.... oh how wrong they were. :mad: :mad: :mad:

craig777

Novice Member
I was gonna suggest this aswell.

I got my 42PX60 back in the summer and got my 360 a couple of months ago, so I had no worries about the running in before playing the 360.

I get some light retention, but this always clears after a few minutes of normal tv, no hint of burn - although I don't play for hours on end.

I find the dashboard gives me the most noticable retention, but again, it always clears after a few minutes of normal tv.

adrian3221

Dynamic is basically all of the settings on max and then some. If you think you getting a decent picture with 100% contrast and 100% brightness "you should have gone to specsavers ":D

I'd recommend buying something like the Video Essentials DVD which would be a good starting point in getting some acceptable settings.

BTW - By using DYnamic you are effectively putting the TV is super charge mode and will probably shorten it's life span.
I have used Dynamic but I reduced the contrast/brightness and colour bars to around 50/60%. This gave me a much better picture than Cinema/Normal modes which with a lot of tweaking still look a little dull. RE:The Video Essentials DVD, Im no AV expert and tried using the THX optimiser On the Star Wars DVD. I couldnt make head nor tail of it to be honest!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett