1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Burn on new Hitachi 42PD3000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marshy.dave, Oct 8, 2003.

1. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have posted this on the Hitachi first impressions thread but thought i would try my luck here too.

All,

Well I have had my Plasma for 2 weeks now and am not very happy.

It does produce an excellent picture but when switching on my dvd player yesterday which produces a black screen with logo when not in use I noticed some images which looked like they were burnt into the screen.

I have a cartoon network logo in the top right, the words picture at the top left from the settings menu and what when the screen is totally black i can see what looks like differrent shades of gray throught the screen.

The screen saver is on the lowest setting, the screen wipe has been used a few times as recommended but the images won;t go.

It not like the kids have been watching cartoon network constantly either and I know that I have not had the settings menu up constantly.

Can this be due to a duff screen or will they fade in time. Has anyone else had this problem. Should i get hitachi out to have a look.

Any help would be gratefully received

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Give it a week, see how it is. It can take that long to go away. If it's still there you have a problem.

3. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

I feel a little more at ease now having read the screen burn thread about the differences between ghosting and screen burn. Its a bit of a bummber tho that you have to take such precautions for a 3k tv.

I like my picture with about 65% contrast and 45% brightness, looks too dark otherwise. I guess I will just have to get used to the contrast turned down.

4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

Have you turned down the contrast on the screen. I heard somewhere that the first 100 hours or so it is more prone to burn in than later on in its life. I have my contrast setting to about 33% of the scale which gives me a really nice picture, brightness is set to 2 notches up from the centre.
    I bought my plasma from miller bros and it was the display model (only one they had left). I had a few logos burnt into the screen as you could imagine with VH1 hits playing all day long. I used the screen wipe as recommended in the guide for about 10 minutes at a time and eventually it went away. The screen had been running with a really high contrast (torch mode) in the 2 weeks it had been on display so i think it was caused by this. I've never had a problem since with logos since and my girlfriend watches sky a lot.

Regards

Rob

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Way yoo much contrast there (mines around 40). Have you got Star Wars AOTC / TPM or Monsters Inc? All of those have THX optimiser routines that will allow you to set your favourites Contrast / Brightness / Sharpness to THX standard & with a pair of blue glasses (seriously) that you can get from THX.COM for $5 you can set hue and saturation more accurately as well.

Knocking your contrast down will reduce the occurence of residual images and you won't see them as clearly either.

6. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Star Wars Attack of the Clones and Monsters Inc so I will have a look. Do I really need the blue glasses to do this. Not sure what plasma you have but on the Hitachi there is no % scale that was me just having a guess, its simply a bar that when you get to 50% flashes white, so you can estimate.

If you do have the hitachi plasma any chance you can add ur settings

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    yes I was just talking about guessing the value of the contrast.

The blue glasses are needed for the colour configuration part only and you do need them to use this as it relies on setting the screen so that everything looks right when viewed through a blue filter - without it the patterns are blue, pink and white

My settings
    Contrast 40
    Brightness 45
    Colour 40
    Sharpness 10
    Hue 45

no changes to defaults on p2

Black stretch low
    Film mode off

When you first go to settings like this the picture may look soft - this is 'cos the sharpness on the factory setting is ridiculously high.

You should configure your screen according to your environment though as this does make a difference.

I find these settings are great for movies but some US tv progs like the west wing are REALLY dark so I just pop the tv into "Natural" for those progs

8. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those settings mate.

I have not seen a setting for Hue on the 42PD3000 tho.

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Select AV4 (component) before going into the menu and it becomes available.

10. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the advice. I have altered my settings, reducing the contrast etc..

The ghosting is almost gone after leaving the screen wipe on for 30 minutes. I have also told the kids to change the aspect ratio while watching cartoon channels so that they logos almost dissappear, just in case.

Can't find the THX setup on my Attack of Clones tho, what region is it on

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not region 2, I looked for it too.

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Odd, I'm sure the THX stuff is on my R2 AOTC. Buried somewhere in a non-obvious place, if I recall.

Maybe you have to reach out with your feelings to find it ....

Cheers, Carl.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My feelings have reached out, I'll never make a Jedi.

14. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  15. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    THX Optimiser on AOTC is in the Languages (may be called options) section on disc one IIRC (It is there I used it recently)

16. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    remembered there's an easter egg that needs you to highlight the THX logo - here you go

"There is also an outtakes reel on this first disc, which runs for 3 minutes. There are two ways of doing this - one way is to directly access Title 15 on the disc (if you know how to - the method for doing this varies from player to player so you should refer to your instruction manuals for guidance). Alternatively, start up the disc and then select Language Selection from the Main Menu. From this screen, you'll be given a choice of various soundtracks - a THX logo will also appear on the bottom right. Select the THX logo and press 1, 1, 3, 8 on your remote control. You may need to press Enter on your remote after each number as well. If that doesn't work, try 11, 3, 8 (the difference being that the two 1s have been grouped together). You might even have a 10+ button (or similar on your remote control, in which case you may need to press 10+, 1, 3, 8 - once again, you may need to press Enter on your remote after each one of the last three digits. Like the gag reel for Episode 1, the outtakes are intercut with DVD credits."

17. bugman

bugman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    marshy.dave,
    i had the same problem as yourself and was watching the screen wipe more than the tv.see my earlier posts under screen burn.
    mine was 6 weeks old and hitachi have been very good.i now have a new screen.if you can steer clear of watching programmes which contain logo,s all the better,but sky,s output contains logo,s on 99% of all channels.
    in my case the burnt on logo,s only diminished very slightly over two to three weeks.maybe the screen was faulty,i dont knowbut i dont take any chances with the new one.
    let hitachi know about your problem as soon as you can.they can and do help(very good in my case).

bugman

18. toibs

toibs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Guess what!! Having the same problems, but with my Hitachi PMA400E and playhouse disney! Lets just say i'm not a happy chap at all!

Watch out for the new Playhouse Disney logo if you have kids. Bright yellow, lives in the bottom left corner of the screen - not that you can miss it at all!!

It's not like i'm a "watch it at full brightness/contrast" person either, having owned a 42" rptv (tosh) beforehand and never having any problems with that at all!!

Lets just say Playhouse disney will have a firm but polite phone call in the morning asking them to tone down their logo!!

Now.... anyone got the phone number for the correct department in hitachi???

Paul