Screen burn on 4 year old LG OLED TV - advise on our rights please!

Stevie G

Hi all
My mum and step-dad bought a 55" LG OLED 55B6 about four years ago from John Lewis with a 5 year warranty.

About a month ago some dark blurred blocks appeared on the screen and have stayed permanently. They have contacted John Lewis who were going to send out an engineer. No engineer came out so my mum chased it and they then asked her to send them a video showing the issue. She did this, and they have now replied saying that it is screen burn and is not covered under the warranty.

My mum and stepdad are in their 70s and do not play video games and their TV only has normal use. They do not leave it paused for long periods and have no idea what could have caused the image burn to have appeared.

I can't see how this is caused by general use and to me is a fault with the device, and googling LG OLED screenburn suggests a lot of people have had similar problems through no incorrect/misuse of their own doing. I also can't see how in this type of thing is acceptable and manafacturers would think it OK for their TVs to display this size of issue.

What approach should we take and what are our rights on this issue? I feel John Lewis should at least still send out an engineer to inspect it properly instead of just fobbing us off with an email based on a video and a couple of photos saying it's not covered, and I just cannot see how marks this size would be considered acceptable under general use. Its not even like it's a cheap TV, you'd expect it to last considerably better.

I have attached a couple of photos to show how bad it is. It's not like a couple of dead pixels or a small block either, they're pretty damn big!

Thanks

Attachments

• LG screen grab 2.JPG
    LG screen grab 2.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 942
  • LG screen grab.JPG
    LG screen grab.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 956

fluxedman

A few ways imo to deal with it

1:-Legal route, which nearly most judges would agree any TV that cost say £600-800+ should last 5 years typically fault free, with any luck see your case in your favour since its happen before. Obviously no guarantees on that !

You have your consumer rights which basically means any retailer has to sell you goods that are of a satisfactory quality and Last a reasonable amount of time, check the SAD FARTS analogy here:

SAD FART

Also you got more info here

This is just my opinion but your 4 years into your TV run..... its a bit tricky there since its been almost a reasonable amount of time its lasted which may not work but again a solicitor who deals with this stuff would know better, maybe a solicitors email or letter (dont pay too much) might be good also if JL is reminded they have to follow the consumer law not just the excuse they gave with burn in, its worth a try.

2:-Contact LG UK support directly and ask if they can do a OLED panel swap service its usually £200-250 for this service, not sure if they offer it for your TV model or are running the service currently though but its a decent option.

Obviously choice is yours you have to factor in time, money and headache as with anything, there have been some cases I read and heard about where retailers had opted to cover the oled panel replacement fee cost or do half of it or even JL or retailer themselves contacted LG to get the service option available to their customer at least (JL have good LG contacts) so you have some options here.

Obviously no such burn in issues with the latest designed OLED panels from 2018+ I believe and JL do a 5 year burn in cover for £140 on the new OLEDs also so hopefully we don't see nasty retailers going down this burn in excuse in the future.

Stevie G

Thanks fluxedman, I'll have a read through that lot and we'll come up with a response.

Broadsword - no we haven't, what is that? Do those things actually work? Thanks

iddyb

Standard Member
I have the same problem, spoke to the John Lewis engineer today and he said their LG engineer says it's screen burn so not covered by the five year warranty.
My LG cost £2000 just over 3 years ago, the discolouration started early last year but with us shielding and awaiting injections I waited (after all I had plenty of time left on the warranty).
I don't see how it can be classed as screen burn because 80-90% of the screen is now discoloured with faces showing a green tinge.
These OLEDS don't meet the viewing hours claimed on LG's advertising blurb.
I was also disappointed with the John Lewis response that they would only take an LG engineers report, not an independent.

1.jpg

3.jpg

AdderNoir

I think screen burn is actually pixel wear out, so the reason why you're seeing a green tinge is that the green pixel is not as worn out as the other ones.

I could be wrong but that's how I understood it in very simplistic terms.

fluxedman

Manual Pixel refreshers are always worth a try if you got it its usually in the TV menu options, they are designed to try and fix screen issues including burn in and any other weirdness. Typically though the OLED TV auto runs a mini pixel refresh so really anything else maybe more serious but its worth a shot.

Some info here on where and how to run it:

3. To manually activate Pixel Refresher, you will have to select Picture → OLED Panel Settings → Pixel Refresher in the settings. Once manually activated, the function will run for approximately one (1) hour. During this time, a horizontal line may appear on the screen; however, this is not a malfunction. '

fluxedman

I have the same problem, spoke to the John Lewis engineer today and he said their LG engineer says it's screen burn so not covered by the five year warranty.
My LG cost £2000 just over 3 years ago, the discolouration started early last year but with us shielding and awaiting injections I waited (after all I had plenty of time left on the warranty).
I don't see how it can be classed as screen burn because 80-90% of the screen is now discoloured with faces showing a green tinge.
I was also disappointed with the John Lewis response that they would only take an LG engineers report, not an independent.

View attachment 1515166

View attachment 1515168

Well that sucks with JLs response but sadly is typically one from them, I would contact LG tech support directly and ask why the TV only lasted 3 years and not anywhere LGs oled viewing hours number and if they can swap the panel since its the UK consumer rights law the TV should last X amount of time. You maybe able to check your tv hours count within the tv menu and take a picture shot of this and with their LG websites viewing numbers count to prove your point.

See what their response is don't overcomplicate the first reply, keep things short and sweet and to the point and get it in email and writing for evidence. If they reply and say you should contact your retailer instead you can reply to them, saying JL wont assist.

You are in a tight spot still but having spent 2K on a TV that did not last just over 3 years, any small court claim judge would deem that unacceptable not fit for purpose and lasting a good amount of time (2 breaches of consumer law) and id reckon you would win the case in your favour but again its not ideal or a guarantee.

Id also consider getting a solicitors email to both LG and JL may get things moving also, its sad but sometimes manufacturers and especially retailers have to be reminded they have to follow the law. Just don't pay too much though its just a simple email after all, but only consider if if your first LG response is not good or post back here what they say and take it from there....

Again worst comes to worst, maybe you get the OLED panel replacement service free or at a reduced cost.

iddyb

Standard Member
I've tried the pixel refresher a few times over the last year but had no noticeable difference,
Thanks everyone for feedback, but I just wanted to let Stevie G know he wasn't alone with this problem and didn't mean to steal his thread.
I've sent pictures to LG support,,, After all they did claim 100.000 hours (over 11 years constant use)

Last edited:

Stevie G

Thanks for your post iddyb, it was helpful and didn't feel it intruding on my post. Yours looks bad too. Let us know how you get on with LG support. I'm currently composing a complaint to JL but might also send it on to LG support. Could you give me the email address for LG's support please?

Where do LG claim they should last over 100k hours?

I don't think either my mum's or your issue are acceptable. The link to Martin Lewis' SAD FART info is very interesting (thanks fluxedman). I don't see how anyone could reasonably argue that they think it is acceptable for a £1400 TV (or £2k in your case) to develop such bad images within 3 or 4 years, and the imediate inference from JL Tech Support that the screen burn can only be caused by the user is very insulting. My parents are in their 70s and don't have a games console, they never leave it paused for long periods, and my stepdad pointed out that an LG screensaver kicks in after two minutes if you do pause it, and that means there is no static images for long periods.

I hadn't realised that he tried the pix refresher a few weeks ago but that didn't resolve it, but I've asked my sister to run it again (as they've come to visit us for a few days), although I don't hold much hope as it didn't work first time.

iddyb

Standard Member
I contacted LG support through my account on their site (set up when I registered the tv)
the confirmation of receipt was from a "donotreply" address.
The 100.000 hrs was on their website and seems to have disappeared now.
But if you search for LG oled lifespan or similar, it was all over and quoted from Korean
press releases.
It could also be in the specs if you have your manual handy

Stevie G

It's interesting. So the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that goods should be of "Satisfactory quality, as described, fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time". There is no legal definition of a "reasonable length of time". However, in 2016 LG’s vice president of the company's TV and monitor production division said at a press event in S Korea that the lifespan of their OLED TVs was now 100,000 hours, which equates to 30 years if a user watches our OLED TV for 10 hours a day (or 11 years if left on permanently). To me that's LG stating that a reasonable length of time is for their OLED TVs is 11 years!

I also noticed a bit of blurb on an LG site that "it is possible to create image retention in almost any display if one really tries hard enough", but that "LG OLED TVs come with special features and settings to preserve image quality and prevent burn in and image retention". To me, this 1) acknowledges that screen burn can be an issue with their OLED TVs but that it's very unikely to occur through normal use and an end user would have to work hard to get it and 2) that they have features built in to prevent it, which failed to work in our instance.

I also think that John Lewis stating on their T&Cs that screen burn is not covered is very black and white and automatically assumes that all issues of screen retention is solely due to user misuse, plus it completely ignores the expectations of the consumer rights act.

Anyway, we'd written up our letter, we'll see where we get with it. It'll be interesting to see where you get directly with LG iddyb, they may be more sensible about it straight away without you having to jump too many unneccessary hurdles.

fluxedman

Yeah I tried to look for that LG oled hours usage bit online but couldn't see it in google, probably LG pulled it to save a fortune and headache.

Closest was here:

Korean LG quote:

Lgs own bit on their site here:

"So, in short: Reasonable, responsible usage of an OLED TV, combined with powerful image preservation abilities should result in a seamless home entertainment experience"

So its a bit like LG are trying to blame the consumer when they may have not done anything wrong at all, id imagine just like most good normal folk if someone or an engineer says its your fault we are forced to accept it but as I am learning in life once an expert calls themselves an expert they usually fall down a flight of stairs.

I would challenge it imo, try going to retailer first since they have to be reminded to follow the consumer law here since they sold unsatisfactory goods that didn't last long and state all reasonable care was taken, then try with LG manufacturer and remind them again they have to follow the consumer law again... then solicitors email reminding them to follow the law.... then small court claim.

If either retailer or LG throw the oled panel option or discount it by half which they have done before btw, then its not a bad option imo.

iddyb

Standard Member
The number of threads I've found about this problem it's no wonder it's now hidden. But this was the deciding factor for me when I made the purchase and they can't deny that they used it as a marketing attraction.
Still, I'll wait for their response before I take any legal action.
I'd always considered John Lewis as a premium company and the same for LG , as I write this I'm using a LG monitor sitting on a LG sound bar, and was looking at a new larger OLED for the living room.

iddyb

Standard Member
Stevie G
Nothing back from LG yet, but I was sorting information and found my original JL warranty
It covers "all functioning parts" with no mention of screen burn in the excluded list.
They have added that to later warranties.
A case in the courts has already been won by a Currys/PCworld customer so a precedent has been set.
Another long thread on the issue if you're not bored with reading about yet.

fluxedman

LG tech support can take sometimes a good week or so if its by email to reply sadly, longer if its gone to higher up to escalation team also, done it many times when I was trying to get my RMA from LG processed.

Id imagine any retailer or manufacturer would rather cough up the repair or exchange then head to the courts where they would likely fail, hope both you guys get it sorted or some better options at least.

Stevie G

Stevie G
Nothing back from LG yet, but I was sorting information and found my original JL warranty
It covers "all functioning parts" with no mention of screen burn in the excluded list.
They have added that to later warranties.
A case in the courts has already been won by a Currys/PCworld customer so a precedent has been set.
Another long thread on the issue if you're not bored with reading about yet.
Where did you find your original warranty? We bought ours online. Would it have been their original email about the warranty? Or was there previously something on their website that's not been changed?

Stevie G

Thanks, I'll get my mu to dig out the email and LG warranty paperwork.

I've put that John Lewis T&Cs into the Waybackwhen archive, and it looks like that page way not created until April 2018;

blacksheep99

View attachment 1515166

View attachment 1515168

This is not screen burn, stand your ground. You have this known issue.

D

Deleted member 507786

If you speak to LG they will give you a new screen for £200 roughly.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton