1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen burn-in on LCD screens

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TheBoingoBandit, Dec 29, 2002.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I work in a plasma shop near Victoria, London.

I know all about screen burn-in and that plasmas were more suceptible to it than CRT TVs but not by how much.

After only a few hours of being played on those channels, the shadows of the TMF and The Hits logos are now burned onto one of the screens.

I was thinking of buying a plasma myself when I move home in the next few months, but maybe I won't bother now if screen burn-in can happen this easy. One of the things I like to watch is wrestling pay-per-views where the bright white WWE logo is on screen for up to three hours. I would also want to play video games on the screen, again with bright on-screen text and logos.

Can anyone tell me what's the situation with LCD screens instead? Is burn-in possible (my own knowledge says yes, but it doesn't happen as quickly) and if so, how long would a permenant logo have to be on the screen for it to happen?

(Different forum I know, but how suceptible are LCD and DLP projectors to screen burn-in as well please? I've been considering these as an alternative. :) )

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Screen burn does not happen to LCDs. Period.

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Where I used to work, we had a cafe where you had to pay for food on your electronic card. Near the entrance there was a machine that took your real money and put the credit onto your card.

The user interface on these machines I'm sure were LCD screens (defiantly not CRT) and you could see where the message "Insert your card" had been permeantly burnt into the screen.

That where I got the idea that LCD screens could get burn-in.
    Maybe I'm mistaken.

Thanks for replying anyway! :)