1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen burn definitely a thing of the past.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Faust, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I have come to the conclusion that screen burn is now a thing of the past, and that all the stories about screen burn are no longer relevant to today’s Plasma panels. Why? Well where I work the powers that be installed a number of Plasma panels for display purposes earlier in the year – two Hitachi, one Pioneer, and one Sony. These panels have been running twenty four hours a day seven days a week for the last seventeen weeks. The top third of these screens are taken up by the corporate logo which includes lots of nice bright colours plus the image is static. Yesterday, a couple of work colleagues along with myself got the job of cleaning these panels. This meant turning them off, each one in turn, for the first time in seventeen weeks. I have to report no screen burn whatsoever, no ghost image, no nothing, screen absolutely clear, all four panels. I even tried a test screen when turning them back on just to see if I could see the previous image – again nothing. These panels are commercial panels but I would not have thought that would make much difference if any to screen burn issues. For me at least this puts an end to any screen burn scares I might have had concerning Plasma

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Keep hearing reports on new pannies being afflicted though

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'd take that one with an even larger pinch of salt, as Panasonic are one of the few manufacturers who actually claim that screen burn is not an issue with their Panels. I would put it down to the same phenomenon as people who claim they have seen Jesus, or Elvis for that matter.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    You have to really whack the settings up to the point the picture looks ***** to get screen burn on a Panny.

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Well I go back to my original post - I think that seventeen weeks 24/7 with a brightly coloured static image and no screen burn really does speak for itself, and really should dispel any lingering doubts.

6. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh really? Well there must be two companies calling themselves Panasonic who make plasmas; A direct quote from the PV500 manual;

"Do not allow a still picture to be displayed for an extended period, as this can cause permanent after-image to remain on the Plasma TV.

Examples of still pictures include logos, video games, computer images, teletext and images displayed in 4:3"

I own one of these sets and I am about to declare war on people who give out throw-away advice to owners regarding burn in. It is real, and it does happen. Advice is a dangerous gift.

7. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think what he meant was that in reasonable amounts screenburn is unlikely to happen. But obviously if you leave a static logo etc for many hours then just about any plasma is going to be affected by screenburn.

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I mean exactly what I said, screen burn like Elvis no longer exists. I bought a packet of nuts the other day that states on the packet "warning this product may contain nuts" blimey I thought, I sincerely hope so. A relative showed me a sleeping tablet bottle that contains the warning label "caution this product may cause drowsiness, do not drive or operate machinery when taking this product" The point I am making is these examples just like the one in your Panny manual are disclaimers i.e. manufacturers covering their corporate backs just in case anything does go wrong. Almost certainly it never will, but if they don't warn you then you would have a case to claim against them if it did.

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
  10. PaulPL

PaulPL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, if you turn off your plasma - you cannot notice screen burn!

Give them a black background (no signal or something like this) instead of turning them off. And then we'll see.

11. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Just about to go to plasma ownership. This report from an independent study is definitive (though it was sponsored by pioneer!)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...20- FINAL.pdf

Basically I'm fully satisfied that new plasmas don't get screen burn, but do get image retention.

I remembering all the scaremongering about regassing plasmas a few years ago - screenburn is the same, just scaremongering.

IMHO

12. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    If you had taken the trouble to read my post properly you would have read that I tried them with a test image after a quick spring clean i.e. white background and an all black background - result - nothing.

13. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must admit, that my old pw6 did suffer from screen burn when playin xbox or something like that with static logos, when u turnd it off you'd see remains, and on refreshing you could still see remains. but on my pd7200 ive not seen any in 3 months of having it. i keep on leaving it on sky digital radio on a static screen when im making dinner, ive come back sure that it will burn, but nothing, so i'd agree with the new generation of panels it seems (hopefully) a thing of the past.

14. buzz_uk

buzz_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would seem pointless to include disclaimers such as this unless manufacturers new the possibility of screen burn was still an issue. I've certainly seen temporary ghosting on my Tevion after relatively short periods of gaming (hud remaining visible) or after viewing 4:3 or letterbox format material.

In fact given the history of the problem, if manufacturers were confident that screen burn no longer existed you can be sure they would go out of their way to make it a big selling point.

15. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go into John Lewis High Wycombe and look at their PW500 and tell me screen burn doesnt exist (top right corner, menu text burnt in).

This is an extreme example as I am sure the screen is in dynamic mode and not cared for, but the phenomenon does exist. However, I would say that a home user with a properly set up screen will most likely have no issues.

16. pdc00

pdc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done about 100 hours on my 505XDE so far and the wife has had QVC on (with its notorious white bar and logo) for periods of 5-7 hours and not once have I seen any image retention. I've played 4:3 DVDs with borders at the sides, a 2.35:1 movie with borders at top and bottom.... no image retention whatsoever. And this is in the first 100 hours when it's supposed to be the most susceptible.

Phil

17. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit that having just ordered my first plasma (6600), screen burn was and perhaps still is my biggest concern.

I'm hoping what Faust is saying is absolutely true, I would be much happier to let the kids watch what they like and not have to worry about potential screen burn issues on a new plasma.

For the moment, I have decided to ban the kids from using the PlayStation on the plasma once we get it - :rotfl: call me a harsh dad, but I just am not willing to take the risk - so we've decided the old Sony 32" CRT will be used for the gaming.

I know its annoyed the kids at a little as they were looking forward to playing their Playstation on a big screen , and perhaps I am over-reacting (as it seems most others on here are fine with gaming on the big screen) but id rather do that than risk screen burn..

I was also hoping to get a Media Center PC, hook it up to the plasma and do some web surfing on the big screen while sitting in my lounge, but again screen burn is something that concerns me - the last thing I want is the Windows @Start@ menu burnt into the plasma.. so I'll have to cancel that plan as well.

I am planning on instructing the kids to change the channel every hour - even if only for a second, and then flick back - just as a precaution..

If screen burn really is a thing of the past, than perhaps I'm being foolish.. but I'd rather play safe than be adventurous and end up with a ruined screen and the missus going nuts!! :rolleyes:

18. athina

athina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All phosphor-based screens (including conventional tube-type televisions) can be affected by displaying static images for a prolonged period. Plasma Display System’s are no exception to this rule.

After-image and permanent effects on the screen can be avoided by taking some basic precautions. By following the recommendations listed below, you can ensure longer and satisfactory results from your plasma:

•Whenever possible, avoid frequently displaying the same image or virtually still moving pictures (e.g. closed-captioned images or video game images which have static portions).
    •Do not display Teletext for a prolonged period of time.•Avoid viewing the On Screen Display for extended periods, from a decoder, DVD player, VCR and all other components.
    •Do not leave the same picture freeze-framed or paused continuously over a long period of time, when using the still picture mode from a TV, VCR, DVD player or any other component.•Images which have both very bright areas and very dark areas side by side should not be displayed for a prolonged period of time.
    •When playing a game, the “GAME” mode setting within “AV Selection” is strongly recommended. However, please limit its use to less than 2 hours at a time.
    •After playing a game, or displaying a PC image or any still image, it is best to view a normal moving picture in the “WIDE” or “FULL” screen setting for more than 3 times the length of the previous still moving image. •After using the Plasma Display System, always switch the display to “STANDBY” mode.

19. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    we've had xbox, ps2 and gamecube hooked up to my pannies from new and had no problems at all.....

20. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! within hours of writing that last post. i know have a nasty big green bar on my 7200. i was playing a visualisation in wmp10, and it must have had a green line running horizontally. its now burnt into the screen.

is there anything i can do?

21. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Play a film or just watch some tele.
    Hopefully it will fade.

22. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When we talk about a static image being displayed for an 'extended period of time' - I would appreciate if someone can kindly tell me how long exactly are we talking about ?

What I mean is say, BBC News 24 for instance - we keep hearing about the risks of screen burn due to the BBC News 24 logo/clock and on screen graphics -- but funnily enough I was just watching News 24 (on my Sony CRT :) ) and noticed one or two things that I've normally not paid attention to - when the weather forecast comes on (at least once an hour), the News 24 logo and clock fades away (ie, it is no longer on screen), the on screen graphics (ie, the red banner with the breaking news text etc.) also seem to come off now and again during the news bulletin ---- so am I right here in thinking , that even if you had BBC News 24 displayed 24hrs a day on your plasma -- there is almost no risk of screen burn arising from static images, because there is no way in the world the screen will have a static image on screen for longer than hour ! (even the logo goes off during the hourly weather bulletin).

And with Sky News on the other hand, you get advert breaks every 15-20 mins -- again if i'm not misunderstanding something here, that means that even if you display Sky News 24 hrs non-stop, you will not have a static image on the screen for longer than 20 mins.. right?

Same is the case with Sky Sports and movies channels.. there are no logos during ad breaks - which are quite frequent.

so really, the only channels which could cause problems with their on screen logos as far as I can see are the kids channels - CBBC, Cbeebies, Cartoon Network, Nickeoldeon etc.. where the on screen logo remains static all the time.

And also regional channels, for example the asian TV channels on Sky (Zee Tv, Star Plus, ARY Digital ) etc.. also have this tendency to keep their bright coloured, goofy looking on screen logos displayed non-stop - even during ads.

I would appreciate if someone could kindly clarify this to me, is my understanding of screen burn correct or am I missing something obvious?
    Obviously my assumption here is that to get screen burn resulting from a static image being displayed, it will be need to be static for upto 7-8 hours non-stop.. is that correct?

I suppose even if you are watching say a channel like Cbeebies, as long as you change over the channel once every couple of hours or so, there should be no problem with screen burn...

And coming to think of it, even with a playstation, not sure about all the games.. but with something like Pro Evolution Soccer, assuming you play a football match of say, a max 30 mins length (15 mins each half), at the end of that game.. the screen will change and so there is no likelihood of static image being present on screen for an extended period.. even if you played the game again for the next 24 hrs , so screen burn really shouldn't be an issue as long as you have games which dont result in you leaving static graphics/scores on screen for an extended period of time (upto 7-8 hrs)....

Either I've misunderstood something here, or perhaps I really was over-reacting and being paranoid with regards to screen burn - just a little bit of awareness is all it takes and it shouldn't be an issue in most cases.. (well, unless the kids decide to sit all day watching Cbeebies without following the instructions they've been given (to change the channel every 2 hrs)!) :D

23. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    this won't prevent screen burn, screen burn happens when some phosphors age quicker than others (cos theyre displaying a bright iage constantly), and flicking to something else won't bring them all to the same "age" as it were.

My view is that with a properly set up plasma, no screen burn will occur unless you have something like sky +'s ingenious "end of recording" message. We have a PW4 panny in our bar, showing nothing but football really, and no hint of screen burn in the top left corner where the scores are :thumbsup:

and thats a couple of years old (4 series old!)

tevion and other companies like that (normally) use older series panels of other manufacturers, so newer tevions/hisense/haier/tiny etc plasmas (dont hold me to any of those names!) may be more susceptable than newer pannys/pio's/hitachis who make their own.

24. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Faust, I was only talking about PV500's(some reports on this site), not other panny models. I guess that most screens have in built systems to stop it happening, but with a combination of the wrong circumstances(kids tv channels, tv left on all night etc) there is still a risk.

*combs quiff*

25. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chedmaster:
    I see.. so basically if you are regularly watching the same channel (like Cbeebies) which has a bright on screen logo for a few hours, it will eventually burn in..as obviously those phosphors will age quicker than others.. so screen burn is inevitable (just a matter of time) if you the kids watching Cbeebies regularly.. - whether or not they change the channel once every couple of hrs or so, makes no difference?!

Great.. that's ruined my theory then :D I thought I had just about worked out there that screen burn can be prevented by making sure that the same static image isn't on screen without interruption for hours. but i guess that's not true.

Oh well, i guess i'll just have to pray and hope for the best.. as it seems screen burn can happen randomly at any time, because there is no way you ca vary your viewing to ensure that all phosphors age evenly... :( :rolleyes:

26. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its not as strict as that, play a moving image around the area and it will even itself out, but if 70% + viewing was cbeebies then yes, it probably would burn in.

if i had kids and they watched cbeebies, id put the sky box in 4:3 and then zoom in to cut off the logo, but keeping the aspect correct.

27. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats a good tip

28. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    70% of my viewing is BBC news 24.
    I haven't had the slightest hint of a problem.
    Although I do use the pixel shuffle feature on the 7200.
    It moves the picture a couple of pixels every so often, in effect moving the outline of a logo. It's not noticable at all and I would recommend it's use.
    You can also slightly dim the corners of the screen to reduce the logos.
    I don't use that feature, but again is recommended if you're worried.

Most important, IMO is settings. Keep the contrast and brightness down and don't use dynamic.

29. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Lets see now, Hitachi, Sony, Pioneer Plasma panel - for arguments sake we will use a 30 day month. Seventeen weeks = 119 days x 24 = 2856 hours, displaying the same static brightly coloured corporate logo - result = no screen burn whatsoever, even an eagle would not be able to detect one as all four were that clear. Now that' a lot of hours of CBeebies or whatever you call it, Sky1 or any other dog. That by any standards is a pretty comprehensive test of the technology. Instead of scrutinising the screen every time you switch the dam things on, just do what they were meant to be used for i.e. watching telly, you'll be surprised at how relaxing it can be.

30. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I agree mate.

But there are two threads today complaining of screen burn.

It does seem pretty random ????