1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen burn/ Dead pixels

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stanleyntl, Dec 28, 2004.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    How can screen burn be avoided when most SKY channels have permanent static logos displayed? (Which the BBC etc are oblivious to!)

Also, how often do dead pixels accumulate during use?
    And how bad would it have to be before a warranty replacement is needed?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You should ask the seller the question about dead pixels when you buy the TV. Different manufacturers allow different numbers. Most will allow one or two near the screen edge. Some allow up to 7. If a picture is perfect when the TV is bought, this is no guarantee that it will remain so. The manufacturer's policy is therefore very important.

Screen burn can be avoided by keeping the brightness low (especially in the first 200 hours of use), and avoiding static images.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Screen burn is a terrifying thought, but very rarely seen in a domenstic situation, apart from Hitachis, which are supplied at furnace bright settings, and seem more susceptible than others. Sensible advice from Nick though, turn down contrast and brightness, they are all supplied too bright, it makes them look good in the shop, which is often rather brighter as a watching environment than your home.

4. Numbskull

Numbskull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone clear this up for me - how long would a static image need to be on screen to cause screen burn

i have contrast at +15 and brightness at +2
    this gives me a quality picture and dark scenes are watchable

but i have noticed that the logos seem to leave a mark - i notice this when i switch to an av channel (on the black screen - ie no signal, before i put the device on) - it leaves a noticeable shadow of the logo

also when watching widescreen dvds - with the black bars at the top and bottom - can the black cause screen burn?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There are two types of "screen burn" - one is temporary, and one is permanent. The temporary one can appear quite quickly (over a period of a few minutes), but does not last once normal use resumes. The other type of screen burn takes much longer to appear (hours instead of minutes) and is non-reversible. I've seen temporary screen burn on my Hitachi after watching a widescreen movie with black bars, but they quickly faded once normal usage returned. This type of screen "memory" has more to do with the plasma gas than with the phosphors.

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    nigel is the man who can fill you in on most technical aspects of screen burn.

Unfortunately apart from LCD most displays are affected by screen burn issues. Plasma is more susceptible to it than CRT and some brands even more so. There's no getting away from it apart from sensible settings and rotational use.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    stanleyntl

As others have said 'permanent' non reversible screen burn is nigh on impossible to achieve with a modern Display used as a TV - assuming you don't watch one channel 24/7.

If you do plan on watching one channel 24/7 and it has lots of 'fixed' on screen 'assets' then go with a display that has features to combat permanent and non Permanente image retention - I stick with Pioneer and Panasonic Display both of which offer a few 'features' to help reduce the possibility of permanent image retention.

Dead and or stuck pixels can occur 'in life' though often they are apparent from new and some dealers will offer you a pixel check before they ship a unit.

We've been supplying Plasma Display since 1998 and PlasmaTV since 2001 and haven't had a single unit with permanent screen burn.

Best regards

Joe

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,080
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. However, for practical purposes, our two "resident" suppliers, MAW and Joe will, I'm sure, offer meaningful views.