screen burn again

G

grayson

im getting a new plasma any tips on how to avoid it, are they alright after the first 100hrs

emad

Banned for trading fraud
Hi

Plasmas are usually sent with high contrast & brightness settings from the factory. First thing to do is reduce these two to the minimum you can do for the first 2 weeks.

Some plasmas are more prone to screen burn than others, but the above advice applies to all.

Also, try to avoide channel logos such as SKY news, some children's channels are notorios for these as well as HUD from PS2 & XboX games.

Good luck

Emad

mikedown

Standard Member
and a word of warning for the uninitiated, i was told by a salesman , when asking about screen burn that no run in time was needed, i was just to treat it like a normal telly and he was supposed to be an expert .

S

sjw998r

red dot??
wassthat??

i awaiting a pioneer 434hde+dv868 and will be a complete noob to plasma!
is screen burn really a problem on new plasma's??

Pollywoggle

Red dot on sky channels espec news ones for interactive services etc, press backup to remove!

sticker

Standard Member
Screen burn has not been a problem on my screen, but I was fairly apprehensive about. Just be sensible in the first 200 hours I would say, after that no problem. I've never seen any residual image on mine and sometimes I've left a static image on screen for a couple of hours, played console games for hours etc.

Getting rid of the red dot/logo's becomes 2nd nature after a while :)

Regards
John

duke748

You could always invest in A Red dot remover.

Basically little gadget that sends the backup command every 30 seconds

A

AVnico

what would be sensible values for brightness / contrast on a Pio434 ?
Guess lowering these two and switching on the powersave feature will be sufficient for the first couple of weeks.

thanks
nico

emad

Banned for trading fraud
mine is

Contrast 35
Brightness +3

Anything below that is - to my eyes- unwatchable

After 2 more weeks or so, I will increase brightness to +8

A

AVnico

Hi emad,
thanks for replying,
Originally posted by emad
mine is
Contrast 35
Brightness +3
Anything below that is - to my eyes- unwatchable
After 2 more weeks or so, I will increase brightness to +8
That seems pretty high to me, as normal settings posted here include;
contrast +26 / +30
brightness +3 / +5
If mine set to:
contrast 25
bright -10
color -9
tint 0
sharp -1
Only watched one movie yet as it was delivered yesterday evening 17:30hr_!
rgds
nico

emad

Banned for trading fraud
Thanks Nico

I used AVIA to setup mine. Tonight I will run the THX optimizer on Monsters Inc. & see how it goes.

Emad

hemp3

Novice Member
Is the only reason to keep contrast/brightness etc. low to prevent screen burn or is there other things that can go wrong in the first 100 hours? Would it be ok to have noraml settings for a DVD for example ig made sure not to levae it paused or on the menus. I have only got 40 hours on the clock on mine at the moment and its a 504hde if that helps.

Y

YS-YS

oh jesus i feel like a parrot, low brightness and contrast will prolong the time when your screen is most prone to screen burn.
in other words if your playing a dvd and its using the whole screen why not use a brighter mode. looks better and runs your screen in quicker.

yes this thing about lowering the brightness and contrast, will mean anything static on your screen will take longer to burn in, but that 200 hour run in time can be doubled if not trippled depending on the settings.
so if your runninf films on it or watching the bbc put the brightness up to a sensible level and enjoy it, if you play computer games on it then you drop the contrast down. but dont play them for 48 hours solid :p get a life :)

Fat Tony

Novice Member
Originally posted by sticker

Getting rid of the red dot/logo's becomes 2nd nature after a while :)

Regards
John
To John - I know you can get rid of red dot, but can you please tell me how to remove logos (on sky)?

MAW

Banned
Don't know why emad's settings come up so high with Avia, usually the factory settings are way too high for correct picture, you find the settings you end up with are quite low for contrast and brightness to get thins to look right. That would be a good reason to run the low. And Ys-Ys, do you run your cars in like that? Would you buy a 2nd hand car from this man?

Y

YS-YS

no due to the number of moving parts in them, but to run in servers you use programs that will use 100% of the cpu, and almost all of the ram. we are out of the old mechanical domain, into the new electronic era, let me know when you catch up.

hemp3

Novice Member
MAW- can you give me a definite answer as to what you recommend I do for X amount of hours, i.e. keep settings low for all channels or just those without logos or just watch normally all the time.

Y

YS-YS

but the phosphor is what causes the issue so get though the initial layer of it, and then there is no problem.
the phosphor will not stall if you run it too hard.

hemp3

Novice Member
How do you speed up the phosphor porcess Ys-YS is to run things norammly when you have no logos or still images. Is there any indication of when it has happened. I probably sound extremely stupid but I know nothing about how plasmas work. When you mention phosphors is the phosphor coating inside the panel?

MAW

Banned
The advice is still to keep it gentle for the 1st 100 hours, and as I said, the factory settings are way too high when you run a calibration disc anyway. You just need to be more careful of static images or parts of images in the early days, nothing to get paranoid about. As to 'burning it in, as Ys-Ys suggests, all you are doing is shortening it's life, not by much admittedly, but like all things, plasmas are mortal, and begin to die from day 1. The phosphors wear out slowly during the life of the panel, they usually quote 35000 hours to 1/2 brightness. As far as I can see, accelerating the wear process initially must have an effect on this, and I'll stick to my way, thank you, and advise my customers likewise. I'm not saying he's wrong, full stop, just sounds dodgy, and my way is the usual way, which seems to work.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Fujitsu used to recommend (not sure if they still do) running your new plasma on an all white screen during the first day. Effectively "burns" evenly accross the panel and is something I often do when I first install a panel that I know is gonna be totally abused by it's owner!

I would worry that showing uncontrollably changing material at high brightness level (especially CinemaScope ratio stuff) may unevenly wear the phosphors in the panel while they are at their most susceptible, hence leaving patches of burn that give an image with an apparantly duller area. With the white screen all phosphors are burnt equally intially, then I recomend settling down to lower brightness + contrast settings so as not to inadvertently burn an area of the screen while it is still in the run in phase. Ramp it up and recalibrate when the screen is good and ready.

Unfortunately phosphors are still bound by the rules of the physical world, running a burn-in-until-failure test to ensure computer parts will be able to handle a system at full load is not the same as treating a glass panel full of phosphors gently while they settle. Not even the same ball park (not even the same f*****g sport - name that movie for ten points :D )

Seems we all have are own ways of doing it, but as long as you are aware that a period of care is needed (however you implement that) then you will usually be alright. If I had to put a number on it - Panasonic's take just less than 100hrs, Pioneers get closer to 200!

Y

YS-YS

hemp the phosphor is what is used in a CRT display, in both cases it is charged which makes it glow. with plasmas the plasma gas is charged so it reacts with the phosphor to make the light, and so slowly degrading the phosphor (which naturally degrades anyway). with time and use the phosphor will produce less light.
the phosphor on a new pannel will degrade quickly initially then settle down.
if you have static images or logos on your screen especially ones with strong deffined areas between light and dark, you can wear away the phosphor away quicker in certain areas that it leaves an after effect, meaning you can see the image overlaying other ones. if left for too long especially at the start of its life it can leave you with somthing called burn, meaning you can clearly see the image over anything you watch. and its very hard to get rid of.
like the old CRT computer monitors, note why we have screen savers. ;)

yes you go through the first few hours of life faster as its brighter, but you could say that about everything, if you ran it on the lowest settings it might last you 40000-45000 hours, but it would never look as good as it could.
the intention is to get it past the period where it can be burnt easily, and then set it up so you can enjoy the thing, instead of messing about for months on end worrying about it.