Screen Burn advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Plasmoo, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I have now taken delivery of my Samsung PS42Q97HDX but am waiting to set it all up so just need the HDMi cables.

As it's all still in the box I have had the time to read the instructions so I can get an idea how it all works but it does not say much about screen burn it just talks about the anti burn software.

My understanding is that you need to use the TV for the first 200 hrs with low contrast/Brightness settings & not to leave the TV on with a static picture for too long.

Apart from timing how long you use the TV everyday how do you know it's been 200hrs ?

If my children watch the BBC children's TV how long does it take before the CBBC logo (Which is always broadcast in the top left of the screen) burns into my screen ?

What settings do you use for the Samsung anti burn options in the menu ?

I guess I am getting worried about having screen burn before even turning the TV on but I see Samsung do not cover this in their warranty so I really can't afford to get it on the screen.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers

2. lall

lall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would have to leave it on that same channel for a very long time. Only then would the image possibly remain burned on the screen. Few hours won't do any harm from my experience...

3. Tomthebomb

Tomthebomb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    From what i can gather, screenburn was more of a problem in older plasma models. The newer sets don't suffer from it nearly as much.

The samsung anti burn options are used to "clean" any screenburn you "might" get after a heavy gaming session, if the game had a HUD for example.

4. Plasmoo

Plasmoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey thanks

That's just the answer I needed as I had visions that I might get burn on the screen after a few hours of that BBC logo being on the screen.

I just wish that Samsung could have given a idea of how long it would take to get burn in the instruction so people like me could understand it better & not have to waist your time here asking these sort of questions.

Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

5. Larok

Larok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well I had a ph9 with some retention from motor storm ps3 titles on the ps3 after about an hour or so. Dissapeared after 15 mins normal viewing though. Thankfully!

6. JJTye

JJTye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have found a way to alleviate screen burn after watching Sky News for a long time where the scrollbar and the rotating cube left their mark.....

I got my DVD of the horror film 'White Noise' and went to one of those scenes that shows a screen full of static. I used the A-B repeat mode on my DVD player to repeat this static (as in snowy) section over and over again for a couple of hours. Firstly I cranked up the contrast to 100 and the brightness to 50 and played it for one hour. Then I cranked up the brightness to 100 and ran it for another hour. The offending marks have finally been erased at last.

Saved me on buying a copy of PixelProtector anyway.......

Jason.

7. newTV

newTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I will try this because i have the same problem with Sky news!

8. maxtye

maxtye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do we need these logo's, it's not like you don't know which channel you are watching.

9. newTV

newTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I know there an absulute pain. You thought they would have learned by now!

10. maxtye

maxtye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic has some sort of contrast reduction system if it senses that screen burn could happen.