Question Screen blurred after colour wheel replacement - help!

964rs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I have an Optoma HD200x that suddenly started making an incredibly loud noise and lost picture.

I've taken the machine apart and found a piece of the colour wheel had broken off and was jammed.

I've bought another colour wheel and replaced it and cleaned out all the dust from inside as much as possible.

However, although the machine now works fine and I get a full picture again there is some serious shadows on the picture. See below test screen:-

projector%202_zps68pp3atk.jpg

I've taken the main zoom lens out and cleaned both ends of that and the outer lens you can see of the lens in situ in the projector with the zoom lens removed and cleaned that also.

But to no avail.

I've also taken the lamp out and swapped it with an old spare I had but no difference.

So anyone idea what is causing the blurring and how I can fix it.

When the colour wheel went the box did smell a bit smokey where the wheel was spinning but jammed and my thoughts are maybe this is smoke on an inner lens - but not sure where this would be or how to get to it or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.....

So all advice and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Is that a pic of an actual image, or what it looks like with just a white screen to show the shadows?

I don't know what the problem is, but I'll have a few guesses...

I'm not sure, but can the pj work without the colour wheel in place? If it can, I think you should get a black and white image with no other problems. If it's still like the above, then there is a problem elsewhere.

Has the lens gone back correctly? I was wondering if it looks OK but is it a little out somewhere so that it will never go into focus?

Some models had a lining in the light path which could collapse and effect the image - not as bad as yours appears in the pic above, but if you're not getting an image, either something has blocked the image somewhere in the light path or maybe there is a sync problem, though usually that causes banding rather than a loss of image.

Sorry I can't help more than that right now...

Gary

I do get a picture - the shot above was on the white test screen to highlight the issue - it's less obvious on a normal picture but this one shows it....

projector%203_zpssoven1gt.jpg

Could be some unwanted reflections in the light path. Has everything gone back together OK?

If you weren't getting those shadows until you took it apart, and the image looks pretty good otherwise now, I would look at the light path again.

Gary.

Everything seems to have gone back together fine - not sure where to look further tbh...

Me neither I'm afraid, sorry I wasn't able to help.

Gary

Well after taking the projector apart about another dozen times I found this 1" piece of reflective plastic stuck in the aperture on the other side of the colour wheel to the lamp - I'm not sure what it's out of but it's obvious something has boken as after taking it out completely the shadow is now in straight lines (I guess where light in this aperture is not being reflected now. I suspect it was this that broke free and jammed the colour wheel breaking it?

Anyone know what it is and if the part can be bought/replaced that it's from?

plastic_zpsejwjsg1g.jpg

Could it be from a light tunnel? Is one missing out of maybe 4? Not sure if one goes on the casing, and it's fallen off. You may not have noticed because when you take the casing/cover off, you're only looking at the insides, and not at the lid.

Gary

It actually was stuck inside this grey tunnel section that goes between the colour wheel and the lens.....

projector4_zpsettqrqde.jpg

Not sure if I can actually remove this piece at all and try and replace it?

Anyone know if it's doable?

Maybe that's where it came from, and ended up jamming the colour wheel as you suggested earlier. In which case it probably needs to go back...

I've heard of that happening before but I think in other projectors, so it might be worth trying the search either here or over on avs to see what's involved in taking it apart to refit it - assuming there are pictures or a description to help.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom