Screen Alignment , Please Help

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by neoglow, Nov 3, 2004.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have heard many different stories and wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth - sort of speak, I very recently bought a Toshiba Widescreen Television model 32ZP46 and have a problem with the horizontal alignment, basically the picture dips to the far left, now I knew from past experience this can be a common problem with all televisions, apparently Toshibas are one of the worst? - is this true? - Anyway, I thought it could be corrected with the TV's service menu, apparently this is also not correct, you can only adjust the vertical alignment, Im told with Sony's and Philips all screen alignments are adjustable...

So here's my problem, do I contact Toshiba about it, do I contact the place I bought it (Currys) or do I just lump it? If I got a replacement of the same telly would I just have the same problem again? eg, is there an alignment tolerance that dictates what is faulty and what isnt? After briefly speaking to a Currys sales advisor he said get an engineer out, now is the engineer going to look at the problem that he knows cannot be fixed before he even comes to my house, if you see what Im saying.

Many many thanks for your help, Im a newbie here.

Mark.

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, if you're saying the picture is basically rectangular except for the bottom right hand corner which looks at though its being 'pulled out' then the set has a basic scan geometry problem. It's not a fault per se but an adjustment - not many domestic tv's have the necessary controls to adjust this in the service menu. The crt scan coils may need slightly re-postioning or small permanent magnets may need to be fixed to the rear of the crt to correct the scan distortion. None of this is difficult in a tv workshop environment but I wouldn't like to try it in someone's home (I work with tv's as part of my living). It is not something an amateur should attempt - you could make it a lot worse and why should you 'need' to have a go anyway ? - it's way inside warranty. Try to pursuade the engineer to arrange to take it back to their workshop to carry out the adjustments. Let us know how you get on.

Ps if the engineer's workshop is not too far away why not ask to see the tv in the workshop after they have adjusted it ? regards, yt

3. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The picture is rectangular and the problem is more visible when watching, for example the sports channels or news channels where there is horizontal banding that displays sports results or news bullitens. The whole screen is straight until the last quarter of the far left where it seems to dip, the difference is about 5mm from the other side, now funnily enough, the next model up from my television has a Geomagnetic Adjustment on the 36" models where it says if the picture is not level it could be due to the earths magnetic field, would that correct it? if so, why oh why didnt Toshiba have that facility on the 32" models...would this option maybe be hidden in the service menu?

Many Thanks YT.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not familiar with your particular model - I have the 32ZP48 which I guess is similar. If you're saying that the picture is basically perfectly rectangular but horizontal lines near the bottom of the screen will 'dip down' by 5mm on the left hand side compared with the right hand side then I would say that's not bad for a domestic tv. Yes, it could be made much better by the techniques I've described above. Geomagnetic correction is not available on Toshiba 32" models. It is available on the 36" models because they have a much larger area at the rear of the crt exposed to the earths magnetic field which can affect the trajectory path of the electron beams - it's generally used to correct picture 'twist' or 'rotation' - they tend to call it 'tilt' but in reality it's straightforward twist around the centre of the picture. By your description your tv set is not suffering from 'tilt', HOWEVER some people use 'tilt' to rotate the entire picture and to many it can seem to improve all manner of geometry problems - 'whatever' as our American friends might say. I'm not this helps you since your tv set will not have this correction, I will interested to hear what the engineer says when he comes. regards, yt.

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you got if from Currys you should have no problems if it's less than 28 day's old.You can have upto THREE replacement if reported within 28 day's of delivery. I had THREE 36FS76U's from Currys(all failed after a while) and THREE HQ100's from Currys!! On the last replacement they didn't even bother with an engineer and organised a replacement over the 'phone. If the engineer say's it's OK he will back down if you say you will contact their head office as your not happy with it ;)

6. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies guys, the engineers now coming monday, they were fully booked today, will let you know what he says. I went around my partners house last night and would you believe it, I turned on her dads 32" Sony (not sure of model) and I noticed an alignment problem too! The exact same problem as mine but on the top of the screen, not the bottom. With this television there is a tilt function however it did not make a difference to the alignment, it seems to have something to do with the tube itself rather than the picture being displayed on it.

Its hard to explain in writing, no matter how much you tilt the picture to the left or right it dosent make a difference to the alignment, imagine looking along the bottom black border on your television, the smaller black margin is the edge of the viewable screen area (where the pixels end) further up the screen about 10mm is another black border where the image being broadcast does not fill the whole screen. Looking along the length of this borber mine dips to the left making the picture appear to dip aswell so straight horizontal lines are not actually straight. If however you watch a channel that fills the whole viewable screen area you do not notice it, the picture is still 'dipping' but you cannot see it. Until you watch a channel that continually broadcasts horizontal bands like news or sport you begin to notice it again.

Maybe Im over fussy but I would expect my television to at least display stright lines, up stairs we have an LG 100hz 28" Widescreen, not that old at all and displays the picture perfectly.

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The bigger the crt (ie, bigger the viewing area) the more the scanning electron beams has to be deflected, the more the possibilty of it being affected by outside factors (earth's magnetic field etc), the more it will affected by the limits of manufacturing of scanning coils etc, so more circuitry needed to correct deficiencies, so more cost, so less sales. So, smaller screen = smaller problems, bigger screen = bigger problems. Not surprising then that your 28 tv looks better. And as if to 'ram it home', I've never seen a broadcast monitor greater than 26 inches (and even then it had a domestic crt in it !) regards, yt.

8. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I experience something similar on my Panny Tx32 PM1. Except on mine the bar across the bottom of the screen on sky news or sky sports news seems bigger on the edges that in the middle. Therefore the text seems more stretched on the outside of the screen and normal in the middle.
    :confused:

9. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The engineer came yesterday and concluded the screen alignment was outside or borberline the tolerance level and so issued me an EA number for Currys to refund me, change the same telly or change for another brand, after consideration I decided to 'risk' getting the same one again with the chance of getting another 'unstraight' picture. (or similar problem) I decided to get the same one again since I like the picture frame case that Toshiba's come in, it makes the screen 'seem' bigger. Anyhow, when I popped in Currys yesterday I didnt realise they had a 36" diplay model and so had a fiddle with the Geomagnetic adjustment and if only they had put this feature on the 32" I would of been able to fix the problem, but for an extra £400 I decided against it.

The engineer didnt really tell me anything unusually interesting about tellys and the things normal users dont know about, but I guess its just one of those things, all companies have their regulations and maybe to you and me an unstraight picture is an unstraight picture, to Toshiba its all about money, materials and manufacture processing, you pay £1000 for a nice telly and even that dosent garantee you the perfect telly.

M.