1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cam, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Barco 801s Graphics CRT projector and was wanting some advice as to which screen I should purchase.
    From what I have read a screen with a gain of 1.2 - 1.5 is the sort of thing of thing I should be considering and at the moment I can only afford a 16/9 manual screen so what would be my best bet?
    I have heard that some screens suffer from ripple and that there are certain types that are stiffer that others.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Cam

2. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi give walter a buzz at walstewart@aol.com
    he is very helpfull just got my screen from him
    pat

3. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll drop him an e-mail.
    Cam

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    There is an article about screens and material on this site as well as on my own.

Non tab tensioned screens are more likely to curl at edges compared to untensioned ones. Stiff material like Vu-Tec's 1.3 gain material is stiff enough to not curl and is not tab tensioned.

The method of attaching the material to the drum can cause ripples in screen when it is rolled/unrolled. Not attaching the thing perfectly level can cause creasing in the thing too.....

How big in width are you thinking of going?

Gordon

Have a read of the article on the site to help you understand how material affects viewing angle etc.

5. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,
    I am wanting to go for a 92inch diagonal screen in 16/9 aspect, I would prefer a 1.85/1 ratio but these seem to command a hefty premium. I have a budget of £400 max at the moment so maybe I should wait until I have a bit more to spend.
    My reasoning for limiting myself to a manual screen was so I could spend more on the screen material with the limited funds I have ( still recovering from the Kef THX speaker bill! ) available.
    I have also considered buying just the material and making my own screen frame but have not found any online prices for material, the only thing I found was some stuff called screengoo that you roller onto material... its a but too Heath Robinson for me!! lol
    Cheers
    Cam