1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen advice required

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Endeavour, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am looking to upgrade my system and integrate it better into my lounge. Currently, I have a pull-up 70" Widescreen which I view from about 3.5m away. Whilst not exactly small it still doesn't match the impact of the better screens at my local multiplex. Is there a generally accepted optimum angle of view for a screen? I know which seats I make a beeline for at the cinema but haven't found a way of turning that into a measurement.

My new projector is still undecided until I have seen a few more demos but it will be something capable of 720p native.

2. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I generally quite like my horizontal eyeline to hit right in the middle of the screen. That means I look up slightly to see the eyes of the characters in big close up and shouldn't need to sit at an angle or get neck ache. I think one should sit far enough away so that you only need to move your eyes minimally sidewards to watch, but of course being too far back starts to defeat the point of big screen cinema (balance). So I generally sit in the middle of the middle of the auditorium. This also gives you the best surround sound experience.

However much of this is personal taste.

At home, to make the right image width, you could halve your distance away from the screen. This would approximately equilibrate my movie theatre position. Again all down to personal preference!! :)

3. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've copied this from a site which seems to match what I remembered

"The angle subtended by the left and right edges of the Cinemascope image and the farthest seat in the auditorium is recommended to be 36 degrees. The minimum acceptable angle is 26 degrees for THX certified cinemas"

Mine is close to 36 and seems fine

4. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting figures. I usually go for an eyeline a third of the way up the screen so less than half way back in the auditorium. Working with the 36 degrees would mean a 90" screen width whereas I am currently at about 24 degrees. (my trig might be a bit rusty though).

Wonder what the maximum is. I recall trying to watch Moulin Rouge in the neckbreakers at the front and nearly finding an alternative use for the popcorn bucket. In photography the standard lens is supposed to represent normal vision. This is normally a 50mm (for 35mm film) and this has a 45 degree angle of view. Is this the point beyond which we have to start to have to scan the image?

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I have a 6ft wide screen and sit approx 10 ft from the screen. My eyeline is only just above the bottom of the screen. I did worry that it would be too high but logistical issues deemed I had no choice. I've never noticed any issues of kneck strain etc, nor has anyone visiting commented it is too high (perhaps they are being polite? Think it's more to do they are amazed when they see what 1K can buy you).

One advantage is that I can have the PJ snug to the ceiling and use minimum lens shift...PJ :)

6. Screen Scene

Screen Scene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,

I have attached the advice I give to customers who are looking at optimising the screen size for the room and view.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks, but can't see attachment? :confused:
    ...PJ

8. Screen Scene

Screen Scene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok sorry , under a reply i made to a question about Chinese screens i attached the info, have a look , system won't allow multiple uploads/

:D