1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen advice required for Da-Lite or similar v DIY

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by inzaman, Jan 8, 2004.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I made a fixed screen using blackout material over a frame and painted icestorm 5/6 mix for better blacks and improved viewing in a moderately light controlled room. I am happy with the image from my Z2 but having read through a lot of these threads, a big danger to the bank balance, i am having doubts as to whether i am getting the best picture quality from my Z2.
    I do want a high contrast screen due to the black levels and have seen the da-lite fixed screen high contrast white but this has a 1.1 gain yet it is grey but with a reflective coating and a 45 degree viewing angle. I do have a light ceilings, hence my desire for a high contrast screen and was wondering;

1- what the light spill would be from this given the viewing angle, i.e would light shine from my ceilings which are cream and wash the image which is what the white bo material did before i painted it grey.
    2 - Has anybody 'upgraded' from a diy screen to a 'professional' screen and was it worth it.
    3 - Are there any similar screens that would match this criteria for the price, about £550.
    4 - How does the high contrast work with a gain of 1.1 i would have expected this to be a gain of about 0.9

Cheers, Inza

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    I'll try to answer those..

1. Grey screens are good at neutralizing reflected/ambient light, and are designed to minimise the 'washing out' you mention IIRC.

2. I upgraded from blackout cloth to a pukka white 1.2 gain when I changed my old pj for a newr but lower lumen model. Apart from being brighter and a little whiter, there wasn't a huge difference.

3. Not sure, but you could try Harkness Hall, DRH and Ellie.com and see what they can offer.

4. A grey screen on its own will have a gain of less than unity, but when combined with an otical coating, you get a higher gain. The Stewart Firehawk has a gain of 1.3.

HTH

Gary.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Hi Gary thanks for your response, with the screen being grey but having an optical coating is this designed to 1) help absorb the light i.e via the grey screen and 2) reflect back the lighter colurs for brightness via the optical coating

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    The grey screen netralises the colours in the reflected light, so you get a less washed out appearance, it also improves apparent contrast. The optical coating just increases the gain.

Matt white is unity, and a grey screen will be less than this. Making it reflective gives you the advantage of the grey screen, without losing it's brightness.

Gary