Screen Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rob0014, Jun 27, 2015.

1. rob0014

rob0014

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello,
    I would like to setup a projector in my bedroom, i want a manual pull down screen that i can fix behind the beam shown in the photo below.
    I would like the bottom of the screen to reach the bottom of my TV and fit between the speakers either side. However doing so would leave a large space above the screen where it will hang from. I have seen some screens with a blackout section but for mine to work how i want it as a 16:9 aspect ratio the blackout section would be quite large.
    The screen will be 80x45 (91.75 diagonally) leaving 17 inches between the top of the screen and the beam. Would this look a bit odd? I may be better having the visible screen in the centre of the actual screen so there is an 8.5" black border on the top and bottom. Again, would this look a bit strange?
    I've seen there are places that will custom make screens, any idea how much a non tensioned manual pull down screen with the blackout borders would cost me? Don't want to spend too much as I'll be moving out in a year so the screen would have to change.
    Alternatively I could just buy a premade 4:3 80x60 screen and project into the middle of that but it'd have no black borders obviously, would this look odd?
    Any advice would be much appreciated, sorry for the long and slightly confusing post.

CAM00431.jpg
    Black border not drawn to scale
    CAM004311.jpg

2. Russ 66

Russ 66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    Have a look at the Sapphire / Grandview manual screens.
    They come in 92" 16:9 and have a 500mm top black border.
    The Sapphire screen I think is about £140.
    I think your mock up looks really good.

3. rob0014

rob0014

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, looks like I'm going to have to go for the Grandview 6ft/77" screen, its the only one i can find that i can mount behind the lintel and for it to drop to the perfect position so that it covers the tv.
    Annoyingly there's not quite enough room for me to fit a 92" screen between the speakers.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    Hi Rob, just seen your thread. This is something similar to what I am looking to achieve in our living room. I am also considering the Grandview & Sapphire screens, but would be looking to fill the bay with a 106" screen and have the speakers lower down. Could you have a bigger screen with the speakers behind the screen, or with the screen not coming down quite as far?

I see that this thread was from June, have you got round to buying a screen yet? If so, then what are your thoughts?

5. rob0014

rob0014

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, I didn't go with it in the end, the screen size I could fit wouldn't have been big enough for the throw of the projectors I was looking at, the projector would have had to have been mounted on the ceiling in front of me for it to work, which would have looked a bit odd. Plus it would have been a pain to run the cables for. Just got a bigger TV (Panasonic AS650) to tide me over till I move out which I'm happy enough with for the time being...
    But I'm still planning a projector setup for when I move out.

Thanks for posting though, I hope you can get your setup sorted.