screen advice needed for optoma hd65

M

Majoreyeswater

hi all, i've been using my hd65 for a couple months now on a wall that i just painted magnolia, really happy with it so far. i'm getting around a 120" image and have been looking for a screen and saw this one on amazon for just over a hundred quid. but i'm really new to all this projector stuff and would appreciate any advice regarding screens...

ADASTRA 120" ELECTRIC PROJECTOR SCREEN 4:3

This screen has been designed to be wall or ceiling mounted. The screen is housed in a white metal case with mounting brackets on either end. The screen itself has a 3cm black border to enhance definition of the projected image, and has a weighted bottom bar to prevent jamming in the case and curling of the screen. The screen can be operated using the in-line control switch or a remote control can be purchased separately depending on application.

Fitted with In-line control switch
Low noise electric motor
Suitable for 16:9 and 4:3 formats

Gain 1.3
Dimensions 240 x 180cm (120")
Screen format 0.16875
Screen colour White (Matte)

i use my pj for xbox 360 and hd dvd/blu ray movies, would this screen be any good??? Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't you want a 16:9 screen? I'm considering buying an Optoma h65 projector and need some screen advice as well. Nice and cheap of course.

Yes probably, but it says suitable for 16:9 and 4:3, so thats where i need the advice really. just need to find out if it would suit my needs or if i should look elsewhere. It would be a shame though as this is one of the cheapest electric screens of this size i have seen.

Yes probably, but it says suitable for 16:9 and 4:3, so thats where i need the advice really. just need to find out if it would suit my needs or if i should look elsewhere. It would be a shame though as this is one of the cheapest electric screens of this size i have seen.

Looking at the screen dimmension (240x180) it appears to be 4:3 (1.33). If it were 16:9 (1.78) it would measure ~ 320x180 keeping the same image height (180) this would result in a 10' wide screen area.

AVI

Looking at the screen dimmension (240x180) it appears to be 4:3 (1.33). If it were 16:9 (1.78) it would measure ~ 320x180 keeping the same image height (180) this would result in a 10' wide screen area.

AVI

Right i see, i guess this screen would not suit my needs then. So what i really need is a 16:9 screen, if anyone knows of any good sites where i should look then let me know. my budget is £300-£400. Also are the electric leads on these screens generally quite long? and what would i need to connect my screen to my projector to use as a trigger?? i'm assuming its a cable or lead of some kind, this would need to be quite long also. sorry about the lame questions but i'm new to all this and i am still learning. thanks

Also are the electric leads on these screens generally quite long? and what would i need to connect my screen to my projector to use as a trigger?? i'm assuming its a cable or lead of some kind, this would need to be quite long also. sorry about the lame questions but i'm new to all this and i am still learning. thanks

I guess it depends on the product as some just have a junction box to connect the power cable rather than a lead with a plug. Triggers on a PJ usually require one or more wires so yes they may be long. In addition you typically need a low voltage controller at the screen to interface with the trigger. An alternative to a PJ activated trigger is to use IR/RF that can be activated via a macro on a universal remote i.e. turning on the PJ also drops the screen etc

It's also important to consider what screen material/size will best suite your viewing environment and PJ model. Nick at CVSmedia or one of the other dealers on these forums would be a good starting point.

AVI

i've had a look at the CVSmedia site and i've seen a screen which is 16:9, its alittle over my budget (£473.76 plus delivery)but these things always go that way don't they ! lol. i just won't tell the Mrs ;o)

Beamax M-Compact
Electric Screen
16:9 Matte White
Model: 10560

is this a good screen? i've measured the wall it will be going on and it will fit perfectly. if i hear good things about this screen i will be contacting CVSmedia very soon. Thanks

i've had a look at the CVSmedia site and i've seen a screen which is 16:9, its alittle over my budget (£473.76 plus delivery)but these things always go that way don't they ! lol. i just won't tell the Mrs ;o)

Beamax M-Compact
Electric Screen
16:9 Matte White
Model: 10560

is this a good screen? i've measured the wall it will be going on and it will fit perfectly. if i hear good things about this screen i will be contacting CVSmedia very soon. Thanks

What is your viewing distance from the screen ?

I would consider a high contrast grey material as that may help improve the perceived black level with your model of PJ and may work better in a room with light decor.

AVI

What is your viewing distance from the screen ?

hi Avi, my living room is quite small(18' x 10') so the viewing distance is around 16'. I also have two windows in the room but i've made up some blackout curtains which i've fitted inside the recess' of the windows and i also have venetian blinds outside the recess'. when they are all closed its pretty much pitch black in here.

When i had my xbox 360 switched on i measured the image diagonallly and it is approx 120". I have my projector at one end of the room on a small av rack, i would like to put it on the ceiling but that is not an option at present. I'm really happy with the image but if i can make it better then that would be a bonus. All your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

hi Avi, my living room is quite small(18' x 10') so the viewing distance is around 16'. I also have two windows in the room but i've made up some blackout curtains which i've fitted inside the recess' of the windows and i also have venetian blinds outside the recess'. when they are all closed its pretty much pitch black in here.

When i had my xbox 360 switched on i measured the image diagonallly and it is approx 120". I have my projector at one end of the room on a small av rack, i would like to put it on the ceiling but that is not an option at present. I'm really happy with the image but if i can make it better then that would be a bonus. All your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Somthing to bear in mind is that it's not just ambient light i.e. windows but also light from the projected image reflected from the ceiling, walls, floor etc. If you have a light coloured ceiling, light coloured walls etc the cross reflection degrades the image i.e. contrast, black level even if the room has no ambient light. Hence the suggestion that high contrast grey may be better in those circumstances with your PJ. :)

The reason I asked about the viewing distance is due to screen size/resolution/source. Often there is a point at which the visible pixel structure and image artefacts become more of an issue as the image gets larger relative to viewing distance. This is more of an issue the lower the PJ resolution.

AVI

Hi Majoreyeswater,
I have a similar sized room as you (10ft x 19ft) which we use for games and cinema.
Matte White or High Contrast Grey? I have tried several of each and I've also had many people round including buyers who have also tested the two both here and within similar environments.

With these 'average' sized rooms, we all suffer the same problem of light: reflecting from the screen, onto the walls/ceilings and then back onto the screen. No matter which surface we use out of the HC Greys and Matte Whites, we always have the same problem. The grey screens do have a 'Perception' of better black levels but it's just perception when using a modern day projector. You still get the light bouncing back onto the screen hindering blacks so it's never perfect.
The only way to combat this is to try and remove the reflection of light off the walls/ceilings.

One option is to use Glass Beaded (Optical) type screens which only reflect light back in the same direction from whence it came, therefore reducing the amount of light hitting walls/ceilings from the projector (resulting in the reduction of light bounced back onto screen). These have their own features which can be conceived as being beneficial to some or more of a hindrance to others.
One thing you can be sure about, using Glass Beaded screens will change the image. Some with slight picture/quality degradation and others with viewing area restrictions. Most glass beaded screens have a narrow viewing area but have benefits of offering a brighter image etc.

Another, more professional option is to coat the walls with something less reflective. Some, usually with dedicated cinema/games rooms, have put dark materials up, either like velor/velvet curtains or even Calico/cottom fabrics held away from the wall and others have found non-reflective wall papers or paints.

I do not really need absolute pure black levels, so after trying many surfaces, I have found Matte White is ultimately the best for me and I have white ceilngs and magnolia walls.

Hope this helps.

The reason I asked about the viewing distance is due to screen size/resolution/source. Often there is a point at which the visible pixel structure and image artefacts become more of an issue as the image gets larger relative to viewing distance. This is more of an issue the lower the PJ resolution.

AVI

Yes i understand what you mean but thankfully i have not noticed any visible pixel structure or image artifact problems. As for having light walls and ceilings at the moment i have an ivory painted ceiling and apart from the wall i have painted magnolia to project onto, all of the other walls are terracotta.

That being said i am planning to redecorate the entire room anyway, i will be going darker again colour wise with the decor which hopefuly will help with the problems you mentioned. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge, i am slowly learning :) Thanks again :thumbsup:

I do not really need absolute pure black levels, so after trying many surfaces, I have found Matte White is ultimately the best for me and I have white ceilngs and magnolia walls.

Hope this helps.

Hi AV nik, your post was most informative and extremely helpful to me, thank you for taking the time to help me out. Most appreciated :thumbsup:

i am still looking for a good screen and my eye is most certainly on the matt white Beamax screen that i mentioned in a previous post, but i will be doing more research before reaching a final decision and placing an order.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom