(screen) advice needed for new(ish) phone please

daveone

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I had an iphone 4 and then a samsung s6 galaxy for years, which gave me no problems at all. However a few years ago I upgraded to the Samsung s8 which just gave me such headaches and motion sickness, itchy eyes etc. I get the same with new macbook screens too and a lot of newer style computer monitors give me the same symptoms.
I gave the s8 to my partner and went back to my trusty s6, which has served me well for ages until now, when it finally died. It's really hard to buy a new phone now as I really need to have a good 1-2 hours trying a phone before I can be sure it doesn't hurt my eyes. I tried a few before covid in stores but the problem is if one hurt my eyes (comes in 10-20 mins) I then have no idea if subsequent ones have the same effect as the pain could be from the first one I tried. no store giving a phone on contract will allow me to get out of the contract if the phone hurts my eyes, i've checked at all major phone stores here (U.k), and amazon won;t let me return a tried phone either. So I can't really afford to take a risk on one that may hurt my eyes.
An option might be a refurbished one as, while they may not be happy about it, I can at least check their returns policy and may be able to return if no joy. It's got to the point I can't put it off any longer and will have to take a risk on something I can't try now, especially with not really being able to try phones in stores first any more! I could of course buy a refurbished s6, but they seem pretty dated now and still not really cheap, it seems a lot to pay £150-£200 for a phone that prob wont last long before it has a problem (and max 64gb storage doesn;t last long nowadays)

From doing some research I understand that newer models are going away from the screen technology of the s6 (Super AMOLED?) and iphone 4, and thankfully I'd be happy with a phone that's not top of the range (as budget is probably £200-£250 and ideally pay as you go unlocked)

From what I can find out, the S6 has "Quad HD Super AMOLED 2560 x 1440 (577 ppi)" & the S8 has "1440 x 2960 pixel 4K resolution Super AMOLED Display" so they seem to be the same technology which has confused me even more.
I don't really want an iphone as I got fed up with having to sync via my laptop to add any media and I like being able to drag in any music and video file types from a laptop, so android is probably a preference. I was forever running out of space with the samsung too, so ideally it would have external memory card option for added space.

Can anyone recommend a slightly more recent phone I could take a risk on with same screen technology as the S6 & and iphone 4? Never tried one but Huawei look like an option?

*ps i did see a doctor about my eyes, who said that there wasn't a specific diagnosis they could give me , but just that some people's eyes were sensitive to certain light/screens.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the refresh rate. Look at reviews on Notebookcheck.net. They cover that.

If you get a phone with an OLED screen, they have a constant flicker, but it’s so fast the naked eye can’t see it, but it’s there, and if effects some people more than others. It can give people eye strain and headaches etc. If you want to avoid that, then go with any phone that has a normal LCD screen

If you get a phone with an OLED screen, they have a constant flicker, but it’s so fast the naked eye can’t see it, but it’s there, and if effects some people more than others. It can give people eye strain and headaches etc. If you want to avoid that, then go with any phone that has a normal LCD screen
many thanks this is really helpful, i didn't know that and it sounds like that's probably what affects me. I was considering an LCD screen so think I may go for this one, my friend said is brilliant for the money and it's probably within my budget 🙂
Amazon product ASIN B08HN419QZ

Bought the above phone in the end, sadly within about 10 mins of first use even with brightness right down, put into reading mode etc, started getting really itchy round the eyes and had to put it down. Tried again the other day to play 15 mins of games on it, was really uncomfortable for the rest of the day, horrible itchy eyes again. So strange that I could spend all day and night on the S6 galaxy and my 2012 macbook pro without any issues at all.
In other news,if anyone's on the lookout for a new one that phone is an amazing budget phone and my wife will happily take it off my hands!

Could you try a friend or relatives phone for half an hour, if no problems buy the same model, can’t you return the Xiaomi phone to amazon ?

this is the problem in covid times it's very hard to ask someone for their phone, stores are only letting people enter who have already ordered online and no relatives live near us.

Amazon's rule here is you can;t return phones once box is open, it was a risk but if i sell this i will get most of my money back i guess...it;s a real shame as it's an amazing phone!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom