1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen advice - grandview vs Ikea !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gedo, Jan 4, 2004.

1. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a bit of a problem room in as much as I have a bay window where the screen is located. At the moment I'm using a white Ikea roller blind as a screen and have got around the problem with a 'botched' mounting system !! Here are some pictures to show what I mean.

Firstly, here is the actual bay window area:
    [​IMG]

Here is one of my screen mounting 'blocks':
    [​IMG]

this is the screen in position:
    [​IMG]

and finally lowered:
    [​IMG]

Now, this system is fine but I'm sure I can improve the picture quality of my cinema by using a proper screen and I'm drawn towards a manual Grandview 2m 16:9 screen.
    However, I am concerned over the mounting of this in the bay window area.

My current mounting system relies on the roller blind pushing the blocks against the wall as they are only 'lightly' secured to it. The blind doesn't weigh very much so it's a solution that works very well. I'm sure I'll need a more substantial mounting solution for the Grandview screen. From the retailers website I can't determine much about the fixings on the screen and hope that someone that owns one of these can have a look and maybe offer some advice ?

Even better would be suggestions from folks with screens mounted in a bay window !! Ceiling mounting is out of the question, I think, due to the height of the room (10 ft).

I'd also like to be able to remove the sceen when not in use to keep the wife happy :)

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A lot of screen manufacturers have the option to add extra masking at the top of the screen that would help.

This doesnt of course address the wife issue :)

I have mine mounted in a bay window and it works very well.

3. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been thinking about a ceiling mounted screen now but to keep the top of the projection area at the same height as my current screen there would need to be a 1m border at the top which, I would guess, is probably too large for most manufacturers !! Does anyone have a top border anywhere close to that size ??

My other option would be to raise the height of the projector. This might be a good idea as it's probably a bit low at the moment, with noticable fan noise during quiet bits.

I don't want the screen too high mind you in an effort to avoid a sore neck, and feel that the current height (2 m from the floor to the top of the screen) is probably spot on.

This home cinema lark ain't easy !

4. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woz,

Might have been a good option if they did a 16:9 ratio screen.....and it would obstruct the centre speaker...so the hunt continues.