Screen advice for living room setup

skabrown

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice before purchasing a screen. It will be mounted above a 65inch TV in my living room(White ceiling, white wall on screen side with grey wall opposite, wooden floor however large 3m×2m rug below TV)

Projector: Benq W1080st(room only 3m wide so short throw is a requirement)

Screen requirement: 120inch, tab tensioned, electric, ceiling mounted, adjustable drop

I have been searching online for days now and have seen multiple screens that may be suitable from low end to premium and cannot make up my mind as limited reviews, particularly at the lower end. As the Benq has a 2000lumen output I am ruling out a grey/ALR screen(unless someone can advise differently). My max budget will be around £1000 however would like to cut that if possible.

It will be used mainly for movies at night with all blinds down and in darkness as I'll use the TV for gaming/TV shows.

What would be your recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Scott

I wish I could advise based on your budget but a quality branded ALR screen will be well over your price if brand new. For example a HiViLux ALR 120" Tab Screen is 1499 euros so maybe best to look at whats around your budget even a little smaller in size and run with that until you feel you want to throw some serious money into a quality screen.

Only 100" but it's still a significant step up in size over a 65" TV.

Upvote 0
Appreciate that, thanks.

I've seen reports that with lower lumens outputs that grey/ALR screens won't be of benefit over a white screen?
Also as you have pointed out for a decent screen that's a lot to invest if it doesn't work as intended!

I have a 100inch Luxburg pull up floor screen, and other than the initial smell(now gone) it operates well however it is no longer fit for purpose as room it was in is now a nursery 👶🏼😂. I was thinking of getting the electric screen from Luxburg but with the added tab tension and electric motor compared to the floor screen I've been hesitant in case it turns out to be a dud and I need to replace it with a premium screen anyway.

Having tested the projector against the opposite wall from TV I felt the 100/106inch just didn't quite have enough oomph over the 120inch compared to my 65inch OLED, was excellent when full screen used but when I checked it watching widescreen movies it wasnt enough to justify(mainly to my wife) a screen and projector going up.

Upvote 0
^Its finding a reasonably cheap ALR that’s the size you are looking and the sad truth is not all ALRs are the same in terms of performance.

Upvote 0
I think I'll go with the matte white for now, will save towards a higher performance screen for when I upgrade to a 4k projector and AVR in the future. Gives me a few years, plenty of time to save and research! Thank you

Upvote 0
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Upvote 0
I think I'll go with the matte white for now, will save towards a higher performance screen for when I upgrade to a 4k projector and AVR in the future. Gives me a few years, plenty of time to save and research! Thank you
That's very sensible as Projectors can't do justice to HDR anyway like a tv can, for projectors 1080p SDR is what you should be focusing on.

Upvote 0
Seen this on eBay that’s just slightly over your budget.

Thank you. That looks decent!
Still a bit pricey, I'll keep that brand in mind for down the line, appears well made and good quality from some reviews.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Upvote 0
this will be fine... also it is unnecessary in my opinion to go tab tensioned at the sort of sizes thinking off :) as long as screen is decent enough will work without issue.

Upvote 0
That's very sensible as Projectors can't do justice to HDR anyway like a tv can, for projectors 1080p SDR is what you should be focusing on.
Definitely, it's just for the big screen, cinema like experience. The W1080st still holds up for HD content. More than happy with my TV setup, looks stunning through PS5 and other 4k/HDR content and no point even attempting to replicate or replace with a projector.

Upvote 0
this will be fine... also it is unnecessary in my opinion to go tab tensioned at the sort of sizes thinking off :) as long as screen is decent enough will work without issue.
Something to ponder 🤔 as I had been reading everywhere for short throws the tab tensioned was a must have. Suppose the weight of the screens and bottom bar would help keep it smooth.

Upvote 0
I imagine the better the quality of screen the less chance of wave, my only experience was with a cheap one (first screen) so best listen to those with real experience.

Upvote 0
Something to ponder 🤔 as I had been reading everywhere for short throws the tab tensioned was a must have. Suppose the weight of the screens and bottom bar would help keep it smooth.
if you are doing UST - ultra short throw.. then a special screen is needed as even the smallest imperfections cause issues due to very tight angle and close up nature of that sort of projection...

also in those cases i wouldnt get a ALR screen what is used are CLR screens

short throw is less so critical but i would be careful with ALR still as they only accept light from certain angle and reject from others...so not that suitable say ceiling mounted or floor mounted and firing up/down into screen from closer and sharp angles..

in low to mid price of screens indeed it is the stiffness of the screen and heavy bar that actually tensions and this is less complex rather than tab tensioned in the low end screens which infact are not that great !

my screen is motorised and not needed tab tensioned at all. all folks i know running screens upto and under 120" dont run tab tensioned either..

if you were running a large scope motorised screen i think very necessary... ALR screens need tab tensioning as well i would think as angles are critical with those

Upvote 0
if you are doing UST - ultra short throw.. then a special screen is needed as even the smallest imperfections cause issues due to very tight angle and close up nature of that sort of projection...

also in those cases i wouldnt get a ALR screen what is used are CLR screens

short throw is less so critical but i would be careful with ALR still as they only accept light from certain angle and reject from others...so not that suitable say ceiling mounted or floor mounted and firing up/down into screen from closer and sharp angles..

in low to mid price of screens indeed it is the stiffness of the screen and heavy bar that actually tensions and this is less complex rather than tab tensioned in the low end screens which infact are not that great !

my screen is motorised and not needed tab tensioned at all. all folks i know running screens upto and under 120" dont run tab tensioned either..

if you were running a large scope motorised screen i think very necessary... ALR screens need tab tensioning as well i would think as angles are critical with those
Thanks for that insight. I was focusing on the tab tensioned screens during my googling research so didn't even consider the regular motorised screens. This will give me a lot more options particularly getting a higher quality screen from the get go.

I've ruled out the ALR based on cost for good enough quality and my current projector that I will likely be using for a wee while yet.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that insight. I was focusing on the tab tensioned screens during my googling research so didn't even consider the regular motorised screens. This will give me a lot more options particularly getting a higher quality screen from the get go.

I've ruled out the ALR based on cost for good enough quality and my current projector that I will likely be using for a wee while yet.
i dont know if in your price point but in the affordable - mid range screens the motorised grandview are an excellent choice :) I have suggested to a few folk and quite a few folk i know have them and they do a great job for money. there is no need for tab tensioning on these with the stiff screens they are and heavy bottom bar :)

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom