Screen advice for a non-treated but light controlled room

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I'm either picking up a JVC X3x or a Sony HW4x as per my budget for a PJ.

I now need to settle on a screen.

I have two rooms I'll potentially use the PJ in. Both totally light controlled but both not treated. They have cream walls and a big dark black curtain on one side. Its the best I can do for now until I re-decorate and decide on where my home theatre setup goes (£4k projector or £4k OLED).

Can someone give me advice on the best screen I should buy and any links? I've read contradictign things on grey vs white. Some people say grey if ambient light, some say grey if in an untreated room.

There is a Carada screen on the classifields for a decent price. However I'm not sure if it'll suit my needs but likewise I'm not sure if I can get a better screen or not for the same money which would serve me well. Any help much appreciated.

those are the two I'm considering. Any advice would be much welcomed. If buying new.. I deally I would love a PJ which a ceiling mount so I can pull it down myself or use a remote to do so because I'd like the TV to be behind it.

I'm sure others has already told you this but the JVC will offer little or no gain over the Sony due to the fact the walls are treated. So based on the walls being white and the reflection you will be getting back from the walls I would actually look at a grey screen option to help boost the perception of contrast.

It wasn't until I treated my walls that I realised just how much blacks I was losing from my white screen.

I'm sure others has already told you this but the JVC will offer little or no gain over the Sony due to the fact the walls are treated. So based on the walls being white and the reflection you will be getting back from the walls I would actually look at a grey screen option to help boost the perception of contrast.

Thank you boss! So I'm better off getting the Sony HW40ES for the input lag etc and sorting out a decent screen?

Then later on down the line, once I've made a decision that PJs are for me.. then totally re-designing and treating the room and getting a higher-line JVC?

Could you give me some links or suggestions for a grey screen? The only two screens I could find on the classifields as detailed above are sadly white :(

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
^The thing that caught my attention was that it was tab-tensioned. It's slightly smaller but it's ticking the other boxes.

^The thing that caught my attention was that it was tab-tensioned.

thanks man, it looks awesome but a bit too expensive for me to begin with. what does tab tensioned mean?

thanks man, it looks awesome but a bit too expensive for me to begin with. what does tab tensioned mean?

Tab tensioning is the cable you see running down either side of the screen, basically the problem with ones without this is that they can curl at the sides and create a wave that you see, when a scene of the screen is still you'll not notice it but as it panes across you can't miss it. The tab and cable keep the screen material tight.

Tab tensioning is the cable you see running down either side of the screen, basically the problem with ones without this is that they can curl at the sides and create a wave that you see, when a scene of the screen is still you'll not notice it but as it panes across you can't miss it. The tab and cable keep the screen material tight.

Thank you. I'll probably end up just stumping up the cash as its ceiling mountable too so ticks that box.

You have been amazing today! I've read through a few of your posts and you REALLY know your stuff!

If I treat my room later on, will this grey screen still be ok? does it help with ambient light veiwing too?

Thank you. I'll probably end up just stumping up the cash as its ceiling mountable too so ticks that box.

You have been amazing today! I've read through a few of your posts and you REALLY know your stuff!

If I treat my room later on, will this grey screen still be ok? does it help with ambient light veiwing too?

Glad I can help. Trust me I’m still learning as much as the rest, there are ones on here and even more so stateside that are extremely knowledgeable.

It’s a shame you couldn’t have simply painted the wall you were going to project on to as @MississippiMan could have sorted you out with a paint option that would have been as good as screens costing ££££ for a faction of the price.

Glad I can help. Trust me I’m still learning as much as the rest, there are ones on here and even more so stateside that are extremely knowledgeable.

It’s a shame you couldn’t have simply painted the wall you were going to project on to as @MississippiMan could have sorted you out with a paint option that would have been as good as screens costing ££££ for a faction of the price.

I was thinking, could I buy a white PJ screen for cheap and paint it? or am I missing something?

I'll proabbly want to get this paint anyway as I'm sure if the PJ impresses, I'll end up sinking a lot of cash into projectors.

I was thinking, could I buy a white PJ screen for cheap and paint it? or am I missing something?

I'll proabbly want to get this paint anyway as I'm sure if the PJ impresses, I'll end up sinking a lot of cash into projectors.

You definitely could indeed and in fact that's what @MississippiMan has suggested I do. Though the process is pretty easy according the him it does require a spray gun which in turn requires a lot of masking off if like me you need to carry this out in the room which is why my wife isn't that keen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom