1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen advice for a friend

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BigAardvaark, Apr 2, 2003.

1. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,

Just after some advice for a friend of mine who's pretty much decided to go with the Sanyo PLV-Z1 but the bloke from the dealer reckons he should be spending around £1000 on a Stewart electric screen.

Now, I know very little about projectors let alone screens but this to me seems a little steep so I thought I'd put it to you lot to see what you would recommend as far as prices/models and where to buy.

He's looking at around 80inches.

Any input much appreciated,

Ian.

2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ian,

£1000 won't buy your friend enough of a Stewart Screen to makle much of a difference. These are professional units and you can bleed for them. If you want an all-engaging big screen experience, I'm offering a 100" Stewart in the For Sale pages. This is for the kind of person who want to be as swept away as you get in a movie theatre rather than seeing it on TV.

Regards,

Edward.

3. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The importance of getting the RIGHT screen cannot be stated enough!! Especially when it comes to rear projection - although the use of fresnels reduces the dependancy on getting it right.

I have carried out experiments on a whole host of different 'home-made' coatings and get results from gains of 2.8 to 0.3 with the trade-offs in half-angle.

If you don't really need a retractable screen the the best you can do is to paint it a flat matt white. If you have room you can still make it retractable but just not as compact as a roll-up. Don't understand why people charge so much for a screen with a gain of 1, when paint will do it AND provide a better viewing angle!!