1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen above a radiator

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dewalty, Aug 1, 2005.

1. dewalty

dewalty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, after for some advice. Looking to get a 92" screen, manual.

Problem being, the screen with hang above a window, which has a radiator below it.
    Two questions,

Will the heat from the radiator over time have any lasting effect on the fabric?

Does anyone have a similar setup, and did you find that the screen moved with the convection effect of the radiator?

I wonder if a tensioned screen would be better with regard to the movement.

Many thanks in advance.

Jay

2. Oxfordguy

Oxfordguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Draper Luma screen over my radiator and also in front of a very large window. It has got quite a lot of warping at the sides, heading to the middle.

I don't know if this is down to heat though as I've read similiar complaints about the Luma from other members.

3. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've got a Draper Luma- not over a radiator - warping and creasing all over the place, I'd hate to think what it would be like if i got it hot! It probably depends on the particular fabric used (avoid Draper, they're c**p).
    It's not just a matter of the screen moving in the convection current, another consideration is heat haze/shimmering, while viewing- I would imagine this could cause quite a bit of image distortion!

Adie

4. dewalty

dewalty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. Hadnt even thought about the possible heat haze problem, guess im going to have to suck it and see.

Im going have to mount it a short distance away from the wall, to allow the screen to come down over the curtains, and so it wont be directly above the radiator maybe a few inches infront of it and above
    Just got to decide on a screen now..

Cheers

5. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nota Draper Luma, I hope.You've been warned!!!

Adie