Scream 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Saw it at this cinema this time last year and I have to say it looked horrible. Hope this disc changes that !

There's still life in that old master unfortunately - iTunes are still using it (as of this morning I believe) and it just needs to be killed with fire and replaced with this lovely new one. This new disk looks brilliant - there's some caps doing the usual rounds that help illustrate what I tried to say in my review (Scream • UK Ultra HD Blu-ray vs. US Blu-ray) that will hopefully alleviate any and all fears......

When I saw this at the cinema it instantly became my all time favourite movie.

Fast Forward 30 years and it's nowhere near my top ten. A Great great movie but definitely one of it's time.

Great review thanks - I remember seeing this on first release in the cinema, and after that opening scene i thought this could be one of the greats. My missus was terrified and was set to leave the cinema, but stayed till the end. She hasn't watched it since. I've only owned this on DVD so I think the jump to 4K could be very welcome :)

This arrived yesterday and I watched it last night. At first I was disappointed as the picture seemed very soft and noisy, but it grew on me and some scenes looked good.

The DV version looked quite dark, but not excessively so.

Is this the normal cut or the few seconds longer with the paning in shot of drew hanging and few extra cuts at the end?

Is this the normal cut or the few seconds longer with the paning in shot of drew hanging and few extra cuts at the end?
Its the original theatrical cut. :smashin:

Last edited:
Here's another site that shows the differences between this and prior releases. Ignore that its in French, the pictures speak for themselves:

When I saw this at the cinema it instantly became my all time favourite movie.

Fast Forward 30 years and it's nowhere near my top ten. A Great great movie but definitely one of it's time.
My experience is completely the opposite. I saw this on VHS rental when it was first released, loved it and watched it dozens of times, but then didn't watch it for 10 years or so. 25 years on and it has gone up even further in my estimation and I'd class it as probably the second best horror movie of all time. Amazing soundtrack, witty dialogue, wonderfully meta and expertly-crafted.

I watched this and Scream 2 as part of my Halloween viewing last year. Back then I was hoping it would get a good 4K release as it is a modern classic and my wish was granted.

My disc arrived today and I gave the opening scene a quick go. It looks very good, much more natural looking compared to the Lionsgate blu-ray. The audio is top notch as they used the same track from the blu-ray which has a lot going for it. The sequels may come later, I guess they will guage the interest based on the sales of this and the upcoming Scream 5 next year.

My experience is completely the opposite. I saw this on VHS rental when it was first released, loved it and watched it dozens of times, but then didn't watch it for 10 years or so. 25 years on and it has gone up even further in my estimation and I'd class it as probably the second best horror movie of all time. Amazing soundtrack, witty dialogue, wonderfully meta and expertly-crafted.
I actually wish I'd not seen it back then so I could watch it fresh now in fairness. I do love it.
Interesting the IQ being an issue previously as I watched it last year without issue, it has some great lighting, especially outside the house in the final third.

I watched this new transfer last night and it obviously the best it's ever going to look but when watching it all i could think about was the scary movie spoof of this 😂

I watched this new transfer last night and it obviously the best it's ever going to look but when watching it all i could think about was the scary movie spoof of this 😂

Yes, that is true but I think that demonstrates the influence Scream had from that moment on in popular culture. It was the catalyst of the modern slasher movie, spawning many similar movies like I know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend, The Faculty, Halloween: H20 and the Scary Movie spoofs.

After the initial boom of the late 70's into the mid 80's there was not that many good horrors, especially slashers, as the formula had become quite tired by then. After Scream, horror movies became cool again and they saw a resurgence into the mainstream. The late 90's and early 2000s saw many horror remakes and new franchises appear like Final Destination, The Blair Witch Project, Saw, Mimic, Ginger Snaps, Dog Soldiers, 28 Days Later and [REC].

Sound glitches around the 58 mins mark scene where dewey, sidney & tatum are walking to his police car. Cut out totally for me had to stop the disc to play it from there again to get sound back :(

Sound glitches around the 58 mins mark scene where dewey, sidney & tatum are walking to his police car. Cut out totally for me had to stop the disc to play it from there again to get sound back :(
That's a bugger. No glitch on my disk/kit. Hope a wipe down or a quick replacement sorts it chief.

Watched this last night, picture was excellent as was the sound quality, brought back some memories!

That's a bugger. No glitch on my disk/kit. Hope a wipe down or a quick replacement sorts it chief.
Disc looks clean think its player firmware related (UB900). Noticed no option to select Dolby Vision on the disc either only DTS is showing! Either that or the wrong specs are listed on the slipcover!

Disc looks clean think its player firmware related (UB900). Noticed no option to select Dolby Vision on the disc either only DTS is showing! Either that or the wrong specs are listed on the slipcover!
If you mean Atmos. I think it's always just been the DTS soundtrack?

Rumour is the UK 4k is the unrated cut of the movie. Can anyone confirm this

Rumour is the UK 4k is the unrated cut of the movie. Can anyone confirm this
I can. It’s not. The UK version has the sped up zoom in on Drew Barrymore’s body at the start that signifies it’s the original theatrical cut.

I can. It’s not. The UK version has the sped up zoom in on Drew Barrymore’s body at the start that signifies it’s the original theatrical cut.
Thanks for confirming, that's a shame as I thought we might have finally got the full cut

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom