Scratch's On 3 week old PH9 !!!

jimlad2000

I was moving panel to adjust's its height & have managed to do this :mad:
infact i'm feeling quite sick now...

its 11 or 12 small nicks / in the bottom right hand corner on the screen covering an area of about 7cm X 7cm

they can be felt quite easily when you run you finger over them so quite deep in places.

I'm guessing there's no treatment for this?

unless its possible to have a new front put on or am I going to have to put up with it.

To add I sit about 7 1/2 foot away so its noticible to me specially as I'm now looking for it obviously its more noticible on brighter material than on darker scenes. My girl friend could'nt see it untill I pointed it out to her

Attachments

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Bummer :(

I can't see you doing anything with it mate and to replace the front will be mega money at a guess.
If you have home insurance with accidental cover, I'd be on the blower tomorrow, first thing.

choddo2006

Novice Member
You can get new glass put on, I have no idea how much it costs but it might not be too bad, it's only the front layer.

sinizterguy

Novice Member
Try rubbing a block of beeswax over the scratches. It should fill up the scratches making it little less noticeable atleast.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
I would go onto some of the watch forums and ask the guys on there what they use for getting scratches out of the glass on their watches, some of the transformations are amazing, deep scratches completely gone.

jimlad2000

You can get new glass put on, I have no idea how much it costs but it might not be too bad, it's only the front layer.
Is it glass as its seems to be made of plastic to me, any how I'm going to phone Av sales to get their advice then I may be phoning insurance company:(

As to the bees wax will that really make a difference + wont it cause a smudge on an otherwise clean front

thewul

Novice Member
the front glass can be replaced its about £200+ vat plus fitting, i would still ring your ins co, but at least it is an economical repair.

sinizterguy

Novice Member
Is it glass as its seems to be made of plastic to me, any how I'm going to phone Av sales to get their advice then I may be phoning insurance company:(

As to the bees wax will that really make a difference + wont it cause a smudge on an otherwise clean front
Beeswax worked on my watch for me. Fairly deep scratch. Yes, initially it was a smudge, but after a little polishing with a microfibre cloth, the smudges all went off leaving the wax in the scratch and the scratch was not noticable unless I wanted to look at it from extreme angles.

But check if there are any better methods before you embark on this one. I definitely have not tried it on a TV.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
If it is glass, then get down to your local jewellers. What you want is some rubbing jewellers rouge - which is a polishing compound for glass/crystal/diamond. We use it at work (Autoglass) to remove scratches from screens - it isn't the quickest process, takes a bit of time and effort, but the results can be quite pleasing :)

Try it first - if it don't work then you've lost nothing as you'd have had it changed anyway - might save you a few quid if it does work tho!