1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratches on NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H screen - extent of problem?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by KeanosMagicHat, Jun 13, 2005.

1. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I've read posts by a few people expressing their concern that scratches have appeared quickly on the screen of their new NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H.

I've had an NW-HD1 since October and there are only a couple of small scratches which the average bod wouldn't notice and that only really show up in direct sunlight.

I'd say that was to be expected after 8 months or so.

Now that we've established the button cracking problem is pretty widespread I am interested to rule in or out the potential problem of screen scratching.

Any thoughts?

2. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have one tiny, almost invisible scratch that was my own fault (I dropped it against my mobile phone) but I don’t have lots of little scratches and don’t think there is a problem with the screen quality.

3. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Scratches easily :confused: The screen materials are no worse in terms of scratchability than most other players.

Perhaps what it is is that like the HD3, the screen is raised from the main unit, unlike in many other players where it's flush or recessed so it's easier for it to contact other in-pocket/bag objects. Maybe that's it?

4. ElmoP

ElmoP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got one tiny scratch after 2 weeks use. To be expected considering it's carried around in my pocket.

Might get a case to protect against dropping though...

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I didn't ever take the screen protector off :)

6. loser

loser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to leave these on everything but then realised it's pretty sad ;)

7. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have some PDA screen protectors and cut one to fit; you can hardly tell it's there and no chance of any scratches.

Ken

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Yes, cut to fit LCD screen protectors can be bought from Jessops for £5

9. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ehrm no - sorry but you are wrong - my vaio pocket doesn't have A SINGLE scratch on the screen, in spite of not having been issued with any case at all. I have never kept it with coins or keys in my pocket - always made sure it was kept in my pocket with nothing else, but after 6 months there is not a hairline scratch - they used a scratch resistant screen cover. End of story. I'm afraid it is not the same for the HD5 as it has lots of fine scratches on the screen and I have kept it in its pouch every single minute of the day - apart from changing the music on it, obviously....

10. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Still seems to be an almost polar opposite of opinion here.

Some think it's fairly easily scratchable and others think it's not.

Any thoughts from other owners?

11. zenmod

zenmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imho, the screen is extremely sensitive. Although I have been very careful with my unit so far, I noticed quite a few scratches on the screen.
    I owned the HD3 before and had no such problems over a couple months using it. Could it be that Sony is starting to use inferior materials to cut costs?

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Almost after I posted that, I pulled the player out the felt bag thing and found that the protector was finally starting to peel off. Bah. Removing it fully actually showed that the color of the casing was slightly lighter where it had been protected by the screen protector... interesting. Anyway, I've ordered what's hopefully a better screen protector.

13. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know a nice solution for this problem...
    I wonder if you guys know these screen protectors

http://www.overlayplus.co.uk

Best I've ever seen. A little expensive but well worth the money, you wont be sorry.
    I got a couple of these for my PSP. They are durable, scratch resistant, easy to clean, cristal-clear and easy to put on. If you install them correctly youll have a hard time noticing they are there. I've had one of these over the PSP screen right out of the box, even before I even powered in on. Best thing I ever did. Scratch-free like new to this date. One protector and 4 months later the protector is still going strong with no need for replacement. Just like a brand new screen. They have a lot of models for different gadgets like pdas, mp3 player, consoles etc but not for the NW-HD5. Ill cut and use a spare one I have for my PSP, if it doesnt fit Ill get one of those bigger pda ones they sell and put it over the HD5 immediatly after I get it.

14. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Whilst a helpful suggestion for some I am sure, buying screen protectors is not something I have ever had to do as a default.

As I said previously my NW-HD1 looks exactly as I would expect after 8 months use hence my desire to establish whether this is a significant problem or not.

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    I suppose they are less clumsy than buying cut to fit covers yourself, and you get the straight lines. If a little expensive

16. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I am not being stupid here but I actually can't find a cover for the HD5's screen on the www.overlayplus.co.uk website! What I like about this specific cover and Brilliant Overlay from Japan is that you really don't notice them there and they can be taken off and washed and reused.

I managed to swap my HD5 over for another one (for other reasons) today and the retailer only had silver ones. I am preparing myself for a whole new catalogue of issues with the buttons but was wondering if anybody could tell me whether the LCD covers from Jessops are washable and reusable?

I'd need them to be as this model is silver and I am expecting it to go back to Sony very soon if the buttons crack.

17. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't want to come over as brash and I know each to their own but why do you want to put this lovely "small" device in a bulky case, defeats the objust to me, might as well get a bigger cheaper player. Mind you I do put size top of my list when buying a "MP3" player. :)

He He sorry got the wrong thread lol :rotfl:

18. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey...hehe.. no, I don't want it in any cover other than it's pouch, that is why I want an LCD cover!! go and look at them at overlayplus.co.uk and even though they don't have Hd5 covers there it will give you an idea:)

19. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Could we get back to the point please and off the subject of screen protectors.

This thread was to establish whether the NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H screen was prone to scratches (more so than other devices).

Although it seems that there has been no big rush of people saying that the screen is easily scratched (as I would have expected if the problem were severe) so maybe it's a false alarm.

20. TheBigLebowski

TheBigLebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say screen protectors ARE on the subject of "Scratches on NW-HD5 / NWHD5H screen - extent of problem?" as it shows how people may be able to deal with the problem.

21. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Well as I asked the original question I think I know what I was driving at :)

I know it's not wildly off topic but I'd heard there may be a problem and I was trying to establish the extent, hence the title of the thread.

Once we know whether there is a problem or not then the time comes to talk about how to prevent it.

22. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was one of the people who raised this alarm. And it was simple - put an LCD screen protector on your HD5's screen as the screen scratches easily, if you don't want scratches. I found out the hard way - and I treat all my gadgets like babies. It never spent any time out of the pouch apart from changing tracks and never spent time in my pocket with as much as another paperclip.

My vaio pocket after 6 months does not even have a hairline scratch on the screen - and that has been in bags - they used a good quality plastic for the screen cover - the HD5 scratches easily, I'm telling you because mine did - and it was just a bit of advice so that you guys can prevent it...

23. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    OK I may have to give up on this one for the time being.

I'm still waiting for my NW-HD5HS but I don't want to have to use a screen protector.

I have owned many Sony electronics products over the years and have NEVER needed to do this. Certainly not to prevent scratches in the first two weeks of ownership.

If it's scratching that quickly it is NOT fit for purpose.

It may be that you had a dodgy unit though Johann as this problem does not seem to be widespread.

24. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No not widespread, I agree - but a few others mentioned too. You know the screen protectors from (and trust me, I used to be so against them and thought they were a bit sad - but I managed to get my HD5 swapped over and I am not allowing the same to happen) www.overlayplus.co.uk or Brilliant Overlay the big Japanese brand available from eBay will sit on your screen without you knowing it!

The scratches became very visible in strip lighting, but sun light would mask them. As I am a bit of an annoying perfectionis, things like that bother me when I sit at work under strip lighting and I want to change a track and all I can see was hundreds of fine hairline scratches... :)

25. joseph82

joseph82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's true Keano, I'm afraid. I've kept my HD5 well protected in the pouch all the time I've had it. After only two weeks tiny scratches have appeared on the screen. Bit of a shame really as I stick with sony products cos the build quality is usually excellent. :(

BTW These silicone covers look sweet, do they cover the whole unit or do they have a cut-away section for the screen? I wanna buy one if they do protect the screen AND the unit but I won't bother if they don't cover the screen. Cheers

26. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scratches appeared within a fortnight for me. The felt case lining was, I'm sure, to blame. Screen protector from Proporta works brilliantly. Can't even tell it's fitted!

27. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you fit the cover over your scratches?

28. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. And now, oddly, the scratches are invisible! Genius!

29. shezzy2k

shezzy2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Another vote for the proporta screen protector...works great!

I can't say how bad the screen is as I didn't give it a chance to get scratched.

Now if I can only stop dropping the damn thing :rolleyes: