Scratches on (new) DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Whatts, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you just hate it when you arrive home with your latest DVD only to find it already scratched...
    I just bought Buffy season 3 and when I got home disc 1 (and only disc 1) was covered in crud (and some scratches). I cleaned it to the best of my abilities and got rid of the crud but the scratches are here to stay.
    Sometimes I suspects some employees of retailers take discs home for private viewing and then don't really handle the discs with care.
    Anyone out there have similar experiences or like to share your view on things?

- Tom -

P.S. Since I don't have the time or the will to watch every DVD immediately after purchase, I've found another way to check if a scratch will cause a DVD to jump or hang: a stopwatch...
    Start the move and the stopwatch at the same time and at the end of the movie, check if the elapsed time is the same on both. If not: return to retailer.

2. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I always use an electric sander to remove any scratches to my DVD's.............

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    I got a skip doctor scratch repair toy, and it works a treat on those floaters that arrive from time to time. Well worth the money, even on those discs that look beyond help.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to get this with some of the very few DVDs that I bought from the high street (particularly from stores that keep the disks behind the counter, e.g. Woolworths). The same was also true of CDs.

Can't say I've ever received a dusty or scratched disk through mail order though ....

5. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have had a couple that have come off of the spindle and been banging around inside the cases when I have received them though the post.

Luckly they still played as one had come from Australia and I did fancy sending it back. My player seems quite forgiving of scratches. Greasy finger prints on rental DVDs it doesn't like.

6. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rambo,

Has the Skip Doctor ever failed to 'repair' a disk? How many skipping discs have you actually repaired with this thingy?
    I was thinking of getting one myself but I'd first like to know if it's any good...

Kevb,

I think this is because of error-correction on DVD and CD. A scratch usually only 'hides' a small part of the digital info on the disk so the error-correction can still work it's magic. Fingerprints smudge too big an area for error-correction to work...

- Tom -

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,794
    Whatts
    I've repaired 5 DVDs and 3 CDs so far. The worst DVD arrived yesterday (a floater:mad: ) from the US and looked like it had been run over with a lawn mower or some kid had been at it with a knife, but a once over with the skip doctor and you can't see there was ever anything wrong with it. I have to admit I had to be forced to part with the cash for it (the best part of £30) by my ladyfriend as I thought the price was a bit steep and I couldn't help but be dubious as to whether it'd actually work, but I'm glad she bent my arm as it's been a really good investment.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, especially if you've got one of those ever-growing DVD collections