Scratched VT30 - Advice required!

the hoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I recently had a Panasonic approved technician (actually two) out to do a software update - they wouldn't let me do it myself, even though I had done it twice before - and to cut a long story short, the update was successful, but I have been left with two fairly large scratches on the glass, which I can only think were caused by the technicians.

I had the owner of the repair company out today (I've also reported it to my insurance company) and basically he is offering to replace the glass front FOC and claims it is a simple job.

From reading other threads on here and elsewhere, it appears the glass replacement is not a trivial job on the VT30 and I am very nervous about letting them do it; what do you guys think?

I could claim off my insurance, but I am loathe to do this, as one of my kids broke our tv last year and this would make two big claims in the space of 14 months.

Any advice would be both welcome and appreciated

Thanks

Hoff

K,I would let them replace it and if they fudge it then get a brand new one out of them.

How have they managed to scratch it anyway, incompetent buffoons!!!

Just slightly worried if they botch it, it could be a LONG way to a replacement!

As for how they scratched it, god only knows! It is wall mounted and in a recess/false wall, so not as straightforward as some, but I've managed to get it on and off plenty of times without any bother.

Lets just say they weren't the sharpest tools in the box :rolleyes:

Just slightly worried if they botch it, it could be a LONG way to a replacement!

As for how they scratched it, god only knows! It is wall mounted and in a recess/false wall, so not as straightforward as some, but I've managed to get it on and off plenty of times without any bother.

Lets just say they weren't the sharpest tools in the box :rolleyes:

:laugh:.

Anyone else with advice for me? Keen to hear opinions from anyone who has either had their glass replaced or knows more about what's involved.

Thanks

Just keep in mind that once the glass is removed and a new one installed, they should wipe it with antistatic cloth and make sure there are no fingertips. I have seen one plasma opened for panel replacement and behind the glass (to the panel) there was dust that could be seen in some cases. A real DSE!

Just keep in mind that once the glass is removed and a new one installed, they should wipe it with antistatic cloth and make sure there are no fingertips. I have seen one plasma opened for panel replacement and behind the glass (to the panel) there was dust that could be seen in some cases. A real DSE!

This is the bit I am really worried about, as I just don't have the confidence in the company involved. TBH my insurance company have been great so far and already assured me that I would get a VT50 as a replacement, so I am starting to feel it is better to take the hit on the premiums and at least be sure of what I'm getting (assuming I get a good VT50 that is!!) rather than risk a botched job with these guys....

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom