1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched disks & replacements

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DSM, Jan 12, 2004.

1. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I read on this forum a while back that you should be able to get a replacement disc if it has been damaged/scratched at the cost price and p&p as we cannot make backups due to copyright. My wife just phoned Disney to see if they would do this but said they dont and never will replace damaged discs. Does anybody know the law on this as kids will scratch dvds and its not fair that we cant make backups and have to pay again especially Disneys prices!

Dave

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  3. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,494
    I used the above for a repair job and it worked a treat. My Toy Story disc was badly scratched and wouldn't play, but they sorted it. Pretty easy too - just pay on-line (about £3.50) and then print off the receipt/order form and send it with your DVD. They'll send it back. Took about a week for mine - and works like new.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AIUI the recent European Copyright Directive makes it a crime to 'backup' CDs and DVDs that even one owns .. unlike in the US there is no 'fair use' provision in this country. The Home Office bent over for the BPI Mafia and their counterparts in the movie industry.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Everyone else exept Disney will replace them for the cost of materials and postage, usually a couple of quid. This is because they don't want you to make backups and accept that you could damage the media; remember when you buy a disc you only buy the right to watch in that format, but if the media is damaged you have still paid for that right.

Do we think Disney are greedy? :rolleyes:

In the USA Disney have started to introduce a programme where you can "register" discs, and they will then allow you to replace them if damaged etc basically the "rights" everyone else already gives you for free.

And their last generation of films are all rubbish too. When was the last good, non Pixar movie from Disney?

StooMonster

6. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the replies I will use the repair service, yes Disney are greedy, why are their films the most expensive and some have dodgy aspect ratios?

Thanks

Dave