scratched disc

Boro22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have had my Xbox 360 for 3 years and for the first time yesterday, the console strached one of my (new) games, ie I can tell it is a laser stratch as there is a mark that is ciruclar. I only noticed this when the game crashed half way through (twice), it came up with a message basically saying ' check your disc.......'

The Xbox 360 has always been horizontal and has never moved at all.

So obviously now I am concerned, threequestions:

1) What is causing this? Obviously, it can now happen to all my other games
2) Where do I stand legally on the game? Can I return it to the shop I bought it from or do I have to claim from Microsoft?

3) If I cannot get a new disc, is there any way of repairing it. The stratch is not deep but there is one mark that goes round the disc. (Only one stratch)

hhahah sorry!

but why is this happening? what caused it? The xbox has always been horizontal and never moves, no reason for the disc to be scratched.

What size HDD do you have? because to prevent this from happening in the future you can just install games.

2) Where do I stand legally on the game? Can I return it to the shop I bought it from or do I have to claim from Microsoft?
3) If I cannot get a new disc, is there any way of repairing it. The stratch is not deep but there is one mark that goes round the disc. (Only one stratch)

In my experience you will have hard job explaining that the 360 was not moved. I've had similar experience, believe me to move my 360 at the time would take 2 grown men!

Your best bet would be your first reply, gamstation or similar, it worked for me!

Surely it is quite easy to argue that I did not move the Xbox whilst in play. I am concerned that there is something more pervasive ie laser causing scratches going forward!

I noticed a few games had similar scratches on that i had played on alot so now i install any games i play on alot and i havent noticed any new scratches.

Installing the game also means it isn't spinning all the time so the console doesn't have to work as hard and shouldn't get as hot.

Im not saying that an xbox would have a problem with overheating. :laugh:

I had this issue a few years ago with Gears of War disks - 3 disks got scratched over a couple of weeks Apparently there was a bad batch, the disks where unbalanced and caused them to wobble more than normal. The old consoles didn't have protective pads in the DVD tray and allowed the disk the touch the laser.
I wonder if you've got the same problem?

HTH

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom